Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Gun ban over?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Nic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gun ban over?

Title XI of the Federal Violent Crime Control Act of 1994 banned the manufacture and import of a certain class of guns defined by Congress as "Assault Weapons." These firearms were categorized as such by certain identifying features, namely cosmetic and ergonomic features that present a military-like appearance, but have absolutely no effect on lethality. The act also bans so-called "high capacity" magazines. The provisions of this Act expired automatically on September 13th, 2004.

So, does anyone know if the sale of the "high capacity" magazines can resume?

I wouldn't mind buying a couple of normal capacity magazines for my Smith and Wesson. The two that came with it were 10 rounders.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The state of California still has its own ban in effect.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way I understand it is that you could technically go buy high capasity magazines... I hope so anyway
Old 09-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Cool Yes it's Over

Go forth and purchase evil assault rifle and hi-cap mags.
You can bet I'm shopping. Ban was stupid to begin with.

Jim
Old 09-13-2004, 07:21 PM

High capicity mags are available before the end of the ban as long as they were manufactured before the original 1994 ban. Pawn shops are stocked with them.

I am still confused on this......I know tht many assult rifles were legal (ak47, ar-15, mini...) does this mean that fully auto machine guns are soon available at wal mart?
I guess we should all stock up on uzis for deer season before this ban is reinacted.

In all actuality I would love a full auto AK or M-16, I'll trade a tjm with a MM winch for a Stern Aug
Old 09-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, the "assault" weapons ban did nothing for fully automatic weapons. Fully automatic weapons are still strictly regulated on a state by state basis.

The media labeled mean looking guns as "assault" weapons, erroneously, and now the average person identifies mean looking guns as assault weapons thinking they are fully automatic.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hyperlite
High capicity mags are available before the end of the ban as long as they were manufactured before the original 1994 ban. Pawn shops are stocked with them.

I am still confused on this......I know tht many assult rifles were legal (ak47, ar-15, mini...) does this mean that fully auto machine guns are soon available at wal mart?
I guess we should all stock up on uzis for deer season before this ban is reinacted.

In all actuality I would love a full auto AK or M-16, I'll trade a tjm with a MM winch for a Stern Aug
Wouldn't that be great? I remember when they sold semi-auto AK's @ KMart.

Nope... you still need a Class III permit and tax stamp for any NFA weapons, including full auto sears...
Old 09-13-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hyperlite

Hyper,

Of all places, I shot a full auto Steyr Aug in the PRC. What a sweet piece of metal.

Well i dont know what kind of laws you have there in NC but out here, the sunset of the ban means nuttin'.

Bob
Old 09-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Contributing Member

So are they gonna start making "pre-ban" parts again? or are we still reduced to what we can dig up in pawn shops and the like?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:47 AM

have fun everyone!!!!!!!

all of the handgun manufactureres are selling their 12/13/15 round magazines!!!!!!

unfortunately myself, prisoned in kalifornia, can only wish everyone else a good time...
Old 09-14-2004, 04:08 AM
Nic

Yeah, what I was wanting to know is if the gun manufacturers are going to be able to produce their "high capacity" magazines again for public sale. For example, my friend just bought a Beretta with the 10 round mags, but existing "high capacity" Beretta brand magazines out there are very expensive. If they can start making them again, the price should be much more reasonable.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

I'm glad I waited! I've been thinking about a 3rd 15-rd mag for my ruger for a long time now. Cabelas has always sold the pre ban stuff, but hopefully now prices will come down some.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Prices for "full-capacity" magazines are down close to the 10 rounders. The only item of note I saw was that places like Lone WOlf (I own a glock) are selling LEO stamped mags (i.e. full-cap mags from the banned time frame; but that are now legal).

Most, if not all, firearms still sell "full capacity" mags overseas. It should only be a matter of time till the supply chain here gets the same mags (at 10 rounder prices)
Old 09-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nic
Yeah, what I was wanting to know is if the gun manufacturers are going to be able to produce their "high capacity" magazines again for public sale. For example, my friend just bought a Beretta with the 10 round mags, but existing "high capacity" Beretta brand magazines out there are very expensive. If they can start making them again, the price should be much more reasonable.
Actually Nic, if your buddy just bought a nice Beretta, he should be able to get two 15 rounders for free. How long ago did he buy it? This summer they were running a promotion where if you bought a Beretta handgun you would receive a voucher for two free 15 rounders if/when the ban sunseted. If he bought it this summer he needs to look in to this. I'm a HUGE Beretta fan and own a few of theirs myself. The best handguns for your money, hands down... and the prettiest.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:55 AM

High cap mags are now available, in both pre- and post- ban form. Post ban LEO stamped mags are fine, since the date reflects the now demised AWB. Should another ban arise, the aforementioned mags would be fine with the date stamped on them. As for price, I've found that the high-cap stamped mags are cheaper than the post-ban mags.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:20 AM

WOW you Yanks really like your guns Eh !
Old 09-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
WOW you Yanks really like your guns Eh !
i hear its pretty dern herd to own a gun up there in cnadia eh.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:52 AM

can a california resident buy an assault weapon outside of california? or are we just totally screwed i would like to own an AR
Old 09-14-2004, 09:55 AM

In Oregon, supressed firearms are legal with a federal tax stamp. The tax stamp is as much as if not more than the firearms actual cost. I say this cause I always wanted a hicap browning hi-power supressed. "Here gofer, come and get your copper headed present".
Old 09-14-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 96LtdYota
i hear its pretty dern herd to own a gun up there in cnadia eh.
We don't really have guns, Don't need em or want them.

Well for other than hunting that's about it.

And look we have Less Armed robberies here, less shootings, less crime. hymmmmmmm

Quick Reply: Gun ban over?