Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Xpel'd---pretty happy with the results

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Xpel'd---pretty happy with the results

Guys,

Finally got off my lazy a$$ and applied the Xpel stuff that I bought about 4 weeks ago. The kit was about $120 and there were 5 pieces: main hood piece (1), hood corners (2), and mirrors (2).

Since I've done some window tinting (not professionally), I was pretty confident going into the job. However, this is nothing like tint!

First, you clean off and clay to get a smooth finish. Then you prep it w/ a 50/50 alcohol/water solution. Dry it off and then peel the Xpel stuff off the sheet while spraying w/ soapy water. Spray the 4runner w/ the soapy mixture, place the Xpel stuff on the area, spray again underneath again to give it alot of fluid. Then you squeegie out the middle to "anchor it". Then you work the rest of it until all the water is out.

The Xpel material itself is actually pliable. It will stretch, given adequate pressure with the blue squeegie tool. Stretch too much, however, it will curl up and look nasty.

Here are some close up pics:

The hardest part was working the material around corners and curves. If you look at the last pic above, look between the three blue dots. To do this right, the corners are supposed to align flush together. Mine didn't quite make it. Also, I had a few bubbles on the hood, but a simple pin prick and squeezing the water out took care of that...like popping a zit.

Theres quite a bit of left over material too. I can safely say that I can cut some of it out 2 pieces for the the painted metal part under the headlights.

If I had to do it all over, I'd cut out a piece of it and practice on a corner of the 4runner. I didn't realize how pliable it was...but when I did, I over did it which resulted in me cutting some small portions out w/ a xacto knife.

As others have said, from a distance, you can't even tell. I've asked my friends "hey, do you notice anything different about the front of my truck?" None of them have said anything until I pointed it out. The overwhelming response has been "whoa!"

The only bad thing about the kit is that the main hood piece does not cover the hood enough, in my opinion. Another 1/6" of material would be perfect.

If anyone is contemplating this, definitely shoot me an email and I'll be more than glad to give you more install pointers.

Bob