Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

wobbly shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wobbly shifter

(newbie question) - why is my (auto) shifter so loose and wobbly? My 2/4WD shifter is nice and tight, but the PRNDL stick is so loose I've been having starter problems because the neutral safety switch isn't being properly engaged by the shift rod. Is there a bushing under there that's worn/gone missing? What's the cure, other than replacement of the entire assembly?
thanks!
cheers
chris
Old 09-10-2004, 08:22 AM

mine is too, in my 90runner. my cousin says its the bushings underneath...I havent had time to take the console apart to check.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:27 AM

I had the same problem on my truck. The auto trans shifter was really sloppy. I have also had a long time nagging problem with starting (ignition switch and starter replaced 2x). I decided to look at the shifter slop before replacing the neutral start switch.

I tore into the shifter a couple of weeks ago. It looks like there were a couple of plastic bushings or washers between the shift lever and mounting bracket. I placed a metal washer (with grease) between the lever and bracket and now the shifter is tighter. I haven't had starting problems since, but I'm not sure that it's solved because it's been very intermittent.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:51 AM

Hi 89 4runner
thanks for the information.
If it's not too much trouble, could you detail for me how you got to the bushings? Any under the vehicle work required, or was is all in the cabin? (looks to me like it's a matter of removing the covers and the four bolts securing the shifter cover plate???)
Thanks!
Cheers
Chris
ps/ if you'd like, please email me directly - emotepix at artnet dot net.

Last edited by emotepix; 09-21-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:36 AM

I just replaced mine...the bushings are about 1.50 each at the dealer.
I have 4wd auto...

you need to take off the center console (arm rest part). and the shifter console.
the center overlaps the shifter console, so you just need to loosen it so the shift console can slide out.

take the black plastic drive indicator covers off, 4 philips head screws

before you can slide the covers off, you need to remove the shifter handles. there should be 2 screws on the base of each one. the drive shifter has the o/d button...I just de-pinned mine and pull the wiring out with the handle.

next...unscrew the 10mm bolts that bolt the shifter base to the car.

you will need to do under the car, and remove the 2 pin and bolt that connects the shifter to the shift linkage. the tranny one is just a pin and bolt.
the t-case one has 2 metal washers around it. so dont loose them.

after that you can lift the whole shift assembly out from inside the car.

look under the rubber boot of the drive shifter. you will see where the bushings go...unbolt it...should be a 14mm.

to replace do everything reverse.

remember i will be easier to put the shift linkage back on with the shift console unbolted, so you can slide it around so you can reach it better from under the car.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:09 PM

That's the same process I followed to take out my shifter. If the bushings are that cheap from the dealer I would use them. Can you post the Toyota P/N for reference?

While you're at it you might get the bushings for the 4wd lever (maybe the same?). Mine wasn't loose, but when I took the shifter out I noticed that the bushings on that lever were also shot. The lever has a strong spring that keeps it from wobbling. It hasn't caused any problems yet so I didn't fool with it.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:48 PM

I dont have the part number with me..its somewhere on the floor of my shop. i think its on my receipt.

i dont know if its the same for a 89 4runner though. the 90-95 is the same part for the drive shifter and the 4wd shifter.

yeah...my 4wd bushings were shot too...but I rarely use 4wd...and that heavy spring keeps it from wobbling, so i didnt replace.