Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Exhaust owners (and others) ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD Exhaust owners (and others) ...

How is the sound? I am looking to get one for my 2000 V6 4Runner. Do you like it? Any other recommendations? I need stainless steel without a doubt. I want a deep rumble which I know is hard with a V6. The Borla was a little too high pitched when I had it.

J
Old 01-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Don't know if this helps but I drove a FJ with the TRD exhaust and I could hardly hear it with the radio off. It had a pretty smooth tone, the FJ has a bigger motor so the sound was smooth and somewhat deep.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

I've had my TRD exhaust since I bought my truck 8 years ago. I installed it a couple months after a bought it.
The sound is great. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. I don't notice that it drones too much, but I do have a lot of sound insulation.
The stainless tip is now VERY dirty. I gave up keeping it clean years ago. This weekend it's going to get cut off.

EDIT: I have the old style TRD exhaust with the "straight back" exit. I think the new ones exit to the side behind the tire. Don't know if my input will help or not. But, they should sound the same since they are both made by Borla.

Last edited by HaveBlue; 01-04-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Joshs98Runner
Don't know if this helps but I drove a FJ with the TRD exhaust and I could hardly hear it with the radio off. It had a pretty smooth tone, the FJ has a bigger motor so the sound was smooth and somewhat deep.
Well, I want too hear it. If I didn't want to hear it I would keep the stock one. That's dissapointing ....

Anyone else with any suggestions ?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 AM

Okay, good to know. So the sound will be just about the same ...

On a side note - I have just removed the Borla system because it rotted and cracked at the end cap to tailpipe weld. Borla claims they can't replace it because they don't have the "fixture" anymore. I'd have to send my old one in and have them make it from that which will take 8 weeks. They also said they could credit me but of course I can't find the original slip (i bought it direct from Borla in 2000) and their computers were upgraded and all they have is my name.

So, I am battling with them about this now. i just asked them if thay can substitue the TRD, since we know that is still in production. We'll see.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:54 AM

Any particular reason you want to go TRD? Have you considered Magnaflow? They have straight through muffler designs with stainless steel housings. I wanted an exhaust slightly louder than stock in sound, but with all the performance benefits. Couldn't be happier with my choice. Don't forget about your piping. If you plan on supercharging, don't go any smaller or larger than 2.5" preferably SS mandrel bent. You can find SS mandrel bent elbows on google for cheap.

Corey's exhaust page is very helpful.

http://pnw4runners.com/exhaust/exhaust.htm

Magnaflow's page:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=350
Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

I have a trd exhaust on my 04 3.4L tacoma. It is MUCH louder than stock. It grumbles pretty good from about 1.5K to 2.3K. When you really get on it
3K RPM's and above it tones down. Works good for automatic tranny. Might be better to go for magnaflow muffler with custom tubing though. Prabably cheaper.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by spaugh
Might be better to go for magnaflow muffler with custom tubing though. Prabably cheaper.
Don't know if it's necessarily better, (I don't know if TRD is straight through or baffled), but definitely cheaper. $350 for my cat-back, (muffler and piping), installed. If I lived on the mainland, could've saved $50 or so on shipping costs.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 AM

Thanks - What I like about the TRD is that it's a bolt on system. Magnaflow doesn't make a custom kit for my truck. I just checked out that link and I really like the sound of that magnaflow on the 00 3.4. I may go that route. There is a local guy here that will do the pipe bending work for me. I'll go 2.5" pipes. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:42 AM

Try to get mandrel bent pipes if you can, (stainless steel elbows on the web for cheap). Keep in mind that most exhaust shops have pipe benders that crush the pipes - reduces the inner diameter.

Below shows what's inside the muffler. Straight through stainless steel core. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. I think folks were getting the 14 to 18" mufflers on ebay for under $100.

http://www.magnaflow.com/wideopen/wideopen.asp

P.S.

You need the offset/center application.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 AM

If I get the pipes mandrel bent - what are the elbows needed for?

Jeff
Old 01-04-2007, 09:59 AM

Sorry for the confusion.

My shop didn't have the equipment to do the mandrel bends, (make sure you question their methods - sometimes they will tell you they can mandrel bend just to get your business). If you can't find a shop that can mandrel bend the pipes, get the elbows online.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by QSVeilside
Sorry for the confusion.

My shop didn't have the equipment to do the mandrel bends, (make sure you question their methods - sometimes they will tell you they can mandrel bend just to get your business). If you can't find a shop that can mandrel bend the pipes, get the elbows online.

Any chance you have some pictures of how yours came out?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:36 AM

You know, I have a welder that can weld stainless, and I have the original tailpipe and muffler with 500 miles on it - I bet I could cut the new muffler in by welding and adding some pipe and fittings...might even reuse the flanges.... What is the size of the original pipe? I'll get the matching sized muffler.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

If I was in the market for exhaust, I would go with the Jardine/Doug Thorley system from AutoAnything. You can't beat around $240 shipped for a mandrel bent system (and there's even a sound clip on that exhaust page).

I think AA is running a $20 off promotion right now too (which accounts for the price above).
Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
If I was in the market for exhaust, I would go with the Jardine/Doug Thorley system from AutoAnything. You can't beat around $240 shipped for a mandrel bent system (and there's even a sound clip on that exhaust page).

I think AA is running a $20 off promotion right now too (which accounts for the price above).
Yeah I heard that one...a little too raspy for me and not enough low grumble. I also need a high quality system since I am on the salt water beaches every weekend and nothing but good quality stainless holds up very well. the Jardine just doesn't look heavy duty enough - maybe it's me. Still think it's too raspy.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

That's cool. We all have our preferences. Besides, I haven't heard it in person anyway. One thing you could do (if you did decide you liked the J/DT) is paint it with high-temp engine paint to protect it from the salt (after welding the slip connections). But I know what you mean, stainless would probably be a good idea for you. Here in AZ, it doesn't really matter.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
That's cool. We all have our preferences. Besides, I haven't heard it in person anyway. One thing you could do (if you did decide you liked the J/DT) is paint it with high-temp engine paint to protect it from the salt (after welding the slip connections). But I know what you mean, stainless would probably be a good idea for you. Here in AZ, it doesn't really matter.

Imagine - I only got 4 years out of my Borla muffler which is supposed to be 304 SS. Tough conditions up here. Where's the titanium?

J
Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 AM

I got the magnaflow 12226 on ebay for 60 bucks free shipping. Can't beat that. I'll deal with the pipes later when I see what it looks like...
Old 01-04-2007, 02:16 PM

Aqua,

First of all, nice choice.

I'll try to get some pics up later tonight or tomorrow.

Quick Reply: TRD Exhaust owners (and others) ...