Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

tranny swap ECU question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
started

Well, after a long day working on my dad's new house, we dug into the 4runner project. Getting the auto out is a PITA. I lack the starter and lower bellhousing bolts to remove it. I'm picking up my resurfaced flywheel in the morning and hopefully will have the 5spd tranny in it tomarrow night. This project is a pain in the ass but it will pay off in the end. Wish me good luck. I knew my auto tranny was giving out, but when I pulled off the inspection cover to unbolt the torque converter, a bunch of fluffy burnt marshmellow lookin crap fell in my face. I think it's pretty trashed.

Last edited by easttntoy; 08-14-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have new drive shafts too? I think the auto/manual shafts are different lengths.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:44 PM

I got the clutch bolted up today and tomarrow it should be driveable. I've got a front shaft, but i'm gonna need to have the rear shaft lengthened about 4 inches unless anybody knows a better way. I can't wait till it's done.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 AM

Just what were symptoms of your auto trans. giving up the ghost? I'm curious because I wondering about mine. I don't have a lot of experience with automatics and sometimes I worry about it.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 PM

Finished

What's up, the runner has a clutch pedal and a stick shift poppin out of the floor board. It runs, and monday I'm off to oak ridge to pick up a rear driveshaft and shift bezel. I'm pleased with the way this swap went. The only problem I have is my old tcase was a j shifter but also had the pushbutton on the stick. It is engaged by an actuator and the actuator tells the computer to engage the front diff. I need to rig up a vaccum switch or change out the harness or something. If someone knows how I can rig up the switch I'd appreciate your input. I'm so glad I did this. It took me 4 days of working after working an 8 hour day building a house. I think if I was soley dedicated to the project it would take about 2 days. As of now, I'm the only one with a limited 3rd gen 5spd that I know of. yea.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Contributing Member

Nice to hear but...

Seriously, how could you not show whats involved? VERY few have ever done this on a 3rd gen. Pics would help so many (including 2nd gen owners) seeking the same swap!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocket
Nice to hear but...

Seriously, how could you not show whats involved? VERY few have ever done this on a 3rd gen. Pics would help so many (including 2nd gen owners) seeking the same swap!
Totally ditto! i know that if there were pics and details as to what i would need to do i would be doing this instead of beefing up my auto tranny when i get my SC.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:14 PM

Im at my parents house with dial up. I don't own a camera and If I did I wouldn't be using it with greasy hands. This swap is easy. Drop the Auto tranny. The toughest part of that is unhooking the wiring harness off of it. Unbolt the inspection plate in the bottom front of tranny. There are bolts fastening the torque converter to the flex plate that need to be removed. Put a jack under tranny, unbolt crossmember, let jack down a few inches so you can reach top bellhousing bolts, remove all bell housing bolts and drop tranny. The auto is pretty heavey so you'll need a tranny jack or a friend. I've never done a clutch before so I had my dad show me how. After you get the tranny in it's down hill. I just replaced the actual brake pedal itself in the housing without taking it out of the truck. Made a template off my old truck for the mastercylinder, bolted pedal assembly and mc up. Took a sawzall to the floor board where the shifters come up to make it one hole, called Toyota to find out what wires were the neutral safety switch, spliced them and started her up. As for problems, You have to get a new driveshaft in the front and rear. The auto is about 4 7/8" longer. Any 3.4 5spd front shaft will work. The standard cab is about 1 1/2" shorter than the runner so I'm just gonna pick one up at the salvage yard. Also, I haven't figured out what i'm gonna do a bout engaging my front diff. I had the push button tcase w/ my auto. Right now the diff is engaged but I don't know how to disengage it. I am going to seek answers at the dealership tomarrow and I'll let you know. Sorry there aren't any pictures and sorry this is wordy as hell but that's the best I can do. If you've got the parts to do it lying around like I did, I wouldn't hesitate to do this. but I can see why somebody wouldn't want to drop a g or two replacing a tranny that isn't broke.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Well it just sound to easy!

Why won't the diff button work as it used to? Was it connected to the tranny?

EDIT: Also how hard (really) would this be on a scale of 1 - 10? I know my way around cars and all the little things but pulling engine/trannys is one place i have never gone personally and only helped a little with.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 08-20-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:55 PM

I thought it was pretty easy, my scale might be different than yours cause I like a challenge. The tcase that I took out had the push button on the stick. I didn't think I had the speed sensor hooked up because the connectors are different but the speedo works. I'm tired of layin under the thing so I'm just going to put a switch in for the front ADD. It runs and drives like a champ now. It'll actually break the tires loose, not that I do that alot because tires are rediculous, but it'll roast a tire.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

lol, yeah a good ole manual is what i REALLY want.

And i love a challange as well that is the only reason i am considering it. what i see is that to get my auto beefed up right will run me about $2,000. Where and manual tranny runs about $500 - $1000 and then get a good clutch and flywheel and overall i come out ahead and get the manual i have always wanted!

I don't mind a challange my only concern is really the special tools needed and the possible things that could break and cost me a lot of $$.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM

Here's the thing, i've got a check engine light. I don't have to pass smog and I have a scanner so I'm just going to unplug it. I'll probably keep this thing forever and turn it into a sas'd crawler one day so I don't mind the cel. Doing the conversion to factory specs is another thing. You'll have to change out harnesses and such. If you don't mind having a CEL it's easy.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM

The only special tools needed is a floor jack, swivel and extensions.