Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

TRAC OFF, VSC TRAC, ABS lights on

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 4Runner with around 82,000km on it.

Today I stopped at a friends place to drop something off and left the truck running.

When I got back in, I could not shift from Park and the TRAC OFF, VSC TRAC, ABS lights were on.

I shut the truck off and restarted with no luck.

I used the Shift Lock override button to get going again and drove to my dealership who told me they would have to hook it up to get a diagnostic code.

Before I shell out any money to find out it is something simple, can anyone give me an idea on what it may be?

Thanks,

Henry
Old 11-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

if there is an autozone near you, you can ask them to pull the codes from you so you can see what the codes are and post it here. it might be something as simple as a dirty sensor.

good luck
Old 11-15-2004, 04:10 PM
lee
Contributing Member

get the code and post here before they touch anything.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:16 PM

It sounds like I'm at the dealers mercy. There's no Autozone here in Northern Alberta and I don't know of anywhere else that can pull the code for me.

I took a look under the hood and everything looked OK. No visible leaks, brake fluid level was in the middle.

I just went out for drive and found that the traction control is not working and neither is the ABS. We've got some snow up here so the roads are a little messy right now.

Henry
Old 11-15-2004, 07:01 PM
lee
Contributing Member

well, you can go ahead and let the dealer pull the code. i mean, if you cant trust them with that, you might as well jump off a cliff!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:13 PM

I just brought home the Snap-On code scanner from work but I can't get it to recognize the truck in generic OBDII mode.

Anyone use one of these have any insight how to get it to work? The scanner starts up when I plug it into the connector but it does not seem to communicate with the truck otherwise.

Thanks,

Henry
Old 11-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

I had a similar problem with my 2001. Same lights, but no problem with shifting/driving etc. For me it was a stuck VSV valve. Maybe something different for you since I don't remember not being able to shift.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:09 PM

I had the VSC TRAC, TRAC OFF and Check Eng lights on but could still shift normally. I took it to the dealer since it's still under warranty, they found it was the CCV valve leaking.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:12 AM

I had this problem with my 2003......If it is the same problem, you probably don't have brake lights either. It was a blown brake fuse, caused by a short in the rear spoiler stop light on mine. Hopefully yours is not a short and the fuse just wore out. The short can be hard to locate.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:59 AM

i have a similar prob with the vsc, trac and abs light all on and have found out they only come on when the headlight switch is on, wtf? 2001 4runner lmt
Old 05-11-2006, 10:01 AM

Eh Hawaiian,

I have the same problem as yours. Can I keep driving the truck until someone can look at it?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by lanai
Eh Hawaiian,

I have the same problem as yours. Can I keep driving the truck until someone can look at it?

Yes you can, you just don't have ABS anymore. Since I had my truck I had this problem 4 times. Since I have extended warranty I took it to the dealer to fix everytime. The first time it was a leaking CCV valve, then a bad charcoal canister, then the gas cap seal leaking, then the charcoal canister again. It was all fixed for free and they suggested not to overfill the gas tank, don't keep sticking more gas in after the first shut off. To me it sounds like a bad design if I had this problem 4 times.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hawaiian4R
Yes you can, you just don't have ABS anymore. Since I had my truck I had this problem 4 times. Since I have extended warranty I took it to the dealer to fix everytime. The first time it was a leaking CCV valve, then a bad charcoal canister, then the gas cap seal leaking, then the charcoal canister again. It was all fixed for free and they suggested not to overfill the gas tank, don't keep sticking more gas in after the first shut off. To me it sounds like a bad design if I had this problem 4 times.
not overfilling is sage advice! for some reason, from what I've been able to gather from others posting is that the charcoal canister is for filtering fumes and does not like to have liquid gas in direct contact. Always stop filling after the first 'click.'

Last edited by sswearin1; 05-12-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:11 AM

I called the dealer yesterday and was told that they get calls about the problem all the time. They said that if I just gassed up recently, remove and reinstall the gas cap and the lights should be gone in a day or two.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by sswearin1
not overfilling is sage advice! for some reason, from what I've been able to gather from others posting is that the charcoal canister is for filtering fumes and does not like to have liquid gas in direct contact. Always stop filling after the first 'click.'
I never do put more in after the first "click", but I still get the problems.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by lanai
I called the dealer yesterday and was told that they get calls about the problem all the time. They said that if I just gassed up recently, remove and reinstall the gas cap and the lights should be gone in a day or two.
Never worked for me, I hope it works for you.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 AM

I just bought a 2002 sport edition 4runner last week and the vsc trac and check engine light came on yesterday. Would I be able to fix myself or take it into a dealer?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 AM

You will have to have a dealer scan the code...because they are C codes, not general P codes that any OBDII scanner can read.

Get the code read at your dealer, and then depending on what it says the problem is, you may or may not be able to fix it yourself.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
WOW! Thanks for these posts, guys! Am visiting cousin who has a 2004 Runner. VSC Trac, VSC Off, CEL. Checked gas cap and sure enuf, he did not close it tight.
Weird, tho. CEL makes sense but why the VSC errors, too?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
WOW! Thanks for these posts, guys! Am visiting cousin who has a 2004 Runner. VSC Trac, VSC Off, CEL. Checked gas cap and sure enuf, he did not close it tight.
Weird, tho. CEL makes sense but why the VSC errors, too?
The computer shuts down the vsc when there is a check engine light. It wants to see everything working pefectly in order to activate the vsc.

Quick Reply: TRAC OFF, VSC TRAC, ABS lights on