Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyotas aren't all that great!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Toyotas aren't all that great!!!

At least mine isn't. Yeah so I fixed the starter yesterday and now it's leaking tranny fluid. %^$#*(&^&_*()&%^$&%$!!!

I'm sick of this thing. Toyotas may be built better but they still break just as much as any other vehicle. The only difference is how much it costs to fix.

^&%$!

Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 AM

Did you take your transmission pan off to clean the filter?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one ever said that yotas don't have some issues, but they sure as hell are better than anything else on the road.

The stuff your complaining about is something my sister would freak out about. Those are hardly major issues or difficult fixes.

Where is the tranny fluid leaking from? Like 4Runr said if you changed the filter and didn't seal it right, that's not the runner's fault. Or if it is overfilled and leaking from the filler tube.

That's an easy fix, especially since Toyota puts a drain plug on the tranny pan. My old Dakota didn't have a drain plug, so you had to just take the thing off and get covered in red sauce......lame.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Best Vehicle I ever owned - 1983 Toyota Trailblazer, it never broke, ever.

Worst vehicle I ever owned - 1991 Toyota Previa, thing was a POS from the minute I drove it off the lot!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

It's dripping off the bellhousing and oil drain plug. The fluid then goes back onto the pan and t-case crossmember. It probably blew back that way because it went on a 160 mile trip yesterday. I already talked to my service guy and he said it may be the pump seal (I think). That's what my guess would be. Which means they have to separate the engine and tranny = $$$. I guess if they are going to do that then I should have them fix my leaking rear main seal too.

Wow this is going to really cost me. I should have gotten a 4cylinder with a 5-speed.

&^%$*(

EDIT: The filter was last done about 37K miles ago.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:40 AM

Every Own A JEEP ?? or wheel with people that do ?

EVERY Single Seal Leaks (It some sort of Jeep Thing Im told... As they dont leak they Mark there Territory) They break down on the WAY to the Trail, WHILE ON the Trail, and Again on the Way Home.

Ill take my POS Toyota again day thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
At least mine isn't. Yeah so I fixed the starter yesterday and now it's leaking tranny fluid. %^$#*(&^&_*()&%^$&%$!!!

I'm sick of this thing. Toyotas may be built better but they still break just as much as any other vehicle. The only difference is how much it costs to fix.

^&%$!

Not to give you a bad time or anything but if I had a truck with over 150K miles and almost 13 years old and had the few problems you have---I would be asking Toyota which little Japanese guy's ass i should kiss for building it!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:55 AM

I agree with TRDOLMAN look at the miles you have gone with your truck!!! Seals don't last forever!! If you were driving and American POS it would be in the scrap yard already!!! Don't hate on the Yota's cause you have a couple issues!!! I will never drive anything else!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:02 AM

I'm a Suzuki guy, and even I know that Toy's ROCK. That's why I just shelled out $500 for an 88 Camry with 192,000 miles on it so I don't have to drive my Dakota back & forth to work.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Banned

here's a novel idea.... re-torque the bolts on the pan and the bellhousing and then retighten the drain plug, clean off the leaked fluid, and see if that fixes your problem.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:20 AM

Where's it leaking? Keep in mind, you would have been on your 2nd (or 3rd) GM/Ford/Dodge/Jeep by now...
Old 08-25-2005, 09:34 AM

Everything that has been wrong with my toyota was just wear and tear or my fault completely.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer

EVERY Single Seal Leaks (It some sort of Jeep Thing Im told... As they dont leak they Mark there Territory)
sounds like harley davidson too. if it didn't leak you wouldn't know oil was in there
retorque the bolts like bamachem said, and then check the revived torque wrench thread
Old 08-25-2005, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer

EVERY Single Seal Leaks (It some sort of Jeep Thing Im told... As they dont leak they Mark there Territory) They break down on the WAY to the Trail, WHILE ON the Trail, and Again on the Way Home.

Ill take my POS Toyota again day thanks
i know exactly wut u mean! i work at a jeep dealership and a shiy-load of our business is jeep t-case re-seals and fron axle shaft seals. i hate jeeps. they have been going down hill ever since mopar bought them! toyota is one of the most reliable vehicle out there!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:29 AM

i own 2, 95 4runner, 91 mr2 na. both great vehicles. sure toyota has had some issue (oil sludge, 2000and half of 01 tundra front brakes, poor intake manifold design on the 3sgte that allows cylinders 2 and 3 more air than 1 and 4, so they run lean, and can go pop!) but all in all, we get to drive some of the best engineered and built vehicles on the planet that are resonably priced, long live toyota!!! notice how many more older toyotas you see on the road compared to other makes, except maybe honda. in fact, if you live in dfw, next time at a big stop light,look at all the cars around you, and play the game: count the toyotas. almost always, there are more toyota products(toy, lexus,scion) than any other brand when i do this, kinda weird, but almost always.(gm is a close second in this game however)
Old 08-25-2005, 10:37 AM

Every Own A JEEP
my other vehicle is an 02 wrangler. ....100k miles, wheeled extensively in colorado and utah, never a single issue. i also know people who have over 200k on those push rod 4.0L engines. ...but as a general rule, yes, they do have more issues than a toyota. i guess i just got lucky!
Old 08-25-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hey carl,

haven't i told you to sell that thing!?!?

seriously, all vehicles have problems---toyotas less than others. anyways, i think its time to find another vehicle or repair it yourself. you got a lot of miles on it and those maintenance items do come up. at least toyotas arent that expensive or difficult to fix, right?

keep the faith, bruddah!

bob
Old 08-25-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
Not to give you a bad time or anything but if I had a truck with over 150K miles and almost 13 years old and had the few problems you have---I would be asking Toyota which little Japanese guy's ass i should kiss for building it!
100 bucks that little japanese guy wouldnt want a big american like you tossing his salad
Old 08-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

My Dodge Ram is still running fine with 175K miles and the only real repair it's needed was the pinion bearing and ball joints. Granted the rest is deteriorating but it still runs great. I expected to have engine problems but I figured the tranny was good to go. I guess not...

I have a feeling that I'm about to be even more poor than I already am. AND class starts on Monday.

I guess I'm just going to fix one thing and move onto the next. It's still drivable now. The leak isn't that bad but is enough to cover the underside and throw some up on the back of the truck.

What really pisses me off is that I just fixed my starter. I probably could tackle this job if I had the time, a FSM, and another pair of hands. But I don't so it'll probably go off to the stealer because my service guy is the only one I trust to get my vehicle fixed right.

AND my rear speakers just stopped working (probably a connection behind the deck). So I have to fix that too.

This week has sucked and it just keeps getting better.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:37 PM

Throw some Trans-X in there and see if it stops the leak. Even if it's a temporary fix you have time to save up some money or fix it yourself on your schedule.

Quick Reply: Toyotas aren't all that great!!!