Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota Life Span

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you guys say that you only have XXX Miles left before you even think of selling it/it dies/you get rid of it - what does this mean? Are you saying that you figure it has that many miles left before you figure it will cost more to maintain than it's worth? Or at that time do you think all hell will break lose? I am of the opinion that if I am happy with my vehicle - it does what I want it to do (IE tow, or 4x4, or whatever I do with it), and it's comfortable, and I don't have any aspirations to own something else, I'll keep it as long as I want. This includes rebuilding the engine, tranny, putting in new components, etc. So I don't know if I could ever put a miles value on a vehicle. It's really more to do with if it suits my needs or I feel like I want something newer. I would feel guilty putting a mile limit on something with the end result in being dead or sent to the scrapper - because with Toyota's - to be honest - there really isn't a limit - just take care of them, and you're good to go. 150,000 miles? that's it? 200,000 miles, that's it?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've got 220,000--I need her to last through college so I hope she will. Only real problems that I've noticed so far is A/C (just fixed $$$) and gear synchros are wearing out ($$$). Other than that, the engine sounds awesome and doesn't burn any oil so I can't complain.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

I think you will find the 3.0 owners will have more problems and engine replacements to list. With that said, I've got 137K miles and her future is uncertain. I bought her hoping she would last through college but I think that isn't going to be the case. My newfound case of missing oil has me scared. Toyotas other motors are better and cheaper to fix.

Going to look at a Taco tomorrow...

:pat:
Old 08-04-2004, 04:41 AM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
These Rigs can hang on almost forever with very little maintenance. Clearly you will get a biased opinion from most of us. My 2nd Gen has nickled and dimed me to no end but I endure it as a labor of love. The Ol' Girl has a lot of sentimental value goin for her. There's no way I could sell it for anything remotely close to what I have invested now and I'm fine with that. Why you ask? Because I know what I've got. The Motor was just rebuilt at 155k Miles and it could have gone longer but when it was torn down it was discovered that the block had to be scrapped. Ya it knocked a bit, and pinged, the clutch was way past due for getting replaced, But it always ran strong for me. The 3rd gens have even more goin for them! It's a trade off, either you make payments on a new rig or you pay to maintain a slightly older rig. Each of us is on here because for whatever reason we are passionate about these vehicles. Maybe it's time to decide if you are too.