Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Towing a Tacoma on a dolly

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Towing a Tacoma on a dolly

Going to put my daily driver on a tow dolly and take it about 800 miles behind my motor home.

1998 excab, 3.4, auto, 4x4, elocker

I have read conflicting information on how to to configure the transmission and transfer case.

Some say put the trans in neutral and the transfer case in neutral and all will be good.

Some say that damage will occur to the transmission and/or transfer case and the only thing to do is remove the rear driveline.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

I know its not that big of a deal to unbolt the rear driveline at the rear 3rd and strap it up but I would rather not if I dont have to.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-13-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
What does owners manual say??
Old 03-13-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Having friends that do Towing and Recovery for fun and profit

Rule of thumb is any rear wheel drive vehicle has the rear axle on the ground the drive shaft gets pulled from the rear.

I have the worst luck I would rather be safe then take a chance

This is like the debate remove the negative battery cable before welding on a vehicle some say it is not needed why pay for new electronics if you can avoid it.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:37 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
pull the drive shaft
Old 03-14-2016, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
This is like the debate remove the negative battery cable before welding on a vehicle some say it is not needed why pay for new electronics if you can avoid it.
Wouldn't removing the positive do the same thing? ^_^

Disrupt the circuit
Old 03-14-2016, 08:05 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
dntsdad---- I have a snapshot of my owner's manual towing page here.....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t.../#post52306548

I want to share a story I shouldn't tell..... regarding the dis-connecting the battery while welding.....I'm a rebel of sorts....I'm guilty of doing the no-no.....I never bothered to dis-connect the battery from my rigs all the way back to 1991 when I had a MIG.
Just the day before yesterday, I had the tacoma's radio tuned to an fm station(key turned to acc.) and was blaring it while I was welding the shock tower on.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Yes and no. Disconnecting the + or - does the same thing, it's the danger of what could happen which makes "experts" always say to remove the negative.

Here's someone saying it better than me:

"So if you disconnect the positive terminal and then, for example accidentally touch a spanner between the positive terminal and the chassis you will create a short-circuit. This can cause significant sparking and damage to the battery. However if you disconnect the negative and accidentally touch a spanner between the negative terminal and the chassis then all you will do is complete the circuit as it is designed to operate and because it under load the sparking is minimal."
Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also weld without disconnecting negative battery terminal, but we're off topic. Always pull driveshaft on RWD automatic trans.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ZUK
dntsdad---- I have a snapshot of my owner's manual towing page here.....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t.../#post52306548
Ahhh..so it's a real no-brainer after all(for the dolly on the front, or no tow dolly, I mean). That makes sense to me. I'd already figured out the part where the transfer case gets lubed as long as it's in gear(and a drivehaft is spinning). Well...a chain drive does anyway(which is all I know). Never made much sense to me how a manual transmission being in neutral could ever possibly do any harm to it. Everything is sitting in oil.

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-14-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Ahhh..so it's a real no-brainer after all(for the dolly on the front, or no tow dolly, I mean). That makes sense to me. I'd already figured out the part where the transfer case gets lubed as long as it's in gear(and a drivehaft is spinning). Well...a chain drive does anyway(which is all I know). Never made much sense to me how a manual transmission being in neutral could ever possibly do any harm to it. Everything is sitting in oil.
I don't claim to be really smart but your post confused the heck out of me!

Just to clarify, for any automatic trans, the owners manual says to
  • put tow dolly under rear tires (pull it backward)
  • turn the key to ACC (to unlock steering column, since steering lock IS NOT strong enough to hold tires straight)
  • put trans in neutral and 2H for transfer case.
Am I reading that right?

BECAUSE THAT SOUNDS SKETCHY AS HELL!

Last edited by vasinvictor; 03-14-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I meant for a manual transmission. I should have said so first...not last. My bad. I know you're right though. I wasn't trying to argue, or explain anything to anyone(except myself). I figured the OP's question was already answered. Minor threadjack I suppose.
Oh...and no, that's not something I'd EVER do with any vehicle either. Just asking for trouble IMO.

EDIT: The transfer case thing is sort of confusing though.

Fact: A chain drive transfer case has an oil pump driven by the input shaft. While in gear, the input shaft is connected to, and can be driven by, the front and/or rear driveshafts, or the motor/transmission output shaft. If the input shaft isn't being spun by the motor/transmission output shaft, or a driveshaft, the oil pump can't operate. This is why you must leave the transfer case in gear(as opposed to removing the rear driveshaft). And is also why transfer cases have no neutral. They sort of do...I know...but there's no reason to ever try using it. Unless you're trying to wreck your transfer case...

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-14-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
It's been a few years since I towed with a tow dolly but the UHaul video I watched said specifically not to tow backwards. Something something about the turn radius. I went to YouTube to find the video and they have newer videos. I did pull the driveshaft. You didn't say if you are using a UHaul or borrowing a friend's tow dolly. The UHaul has a surge brake. It was wired with a four flat trailer harness but the surge brakes worked really well in the mountains. I'm glad I watched the videos because the UHaul store did not mention the brakes to me and it would have freaked me out if I didn't know about them. This isn't the same video I watched and haven't watched this one but it might help:

Old 03-14-2016, 05:57 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
go for it but I will always pull my rear driveshaft. the one time i was too lazy i destroyed a transmission and transfer case...

plus i will go with the word of Marlin
Flat Towing a Toyota
Originally Posted by Marlin Crawler
On all auto chain driven and manual gear driven t/cases, if it is towed in two wheel drive, the output shaft will turn, but there will be no way for the oil at the bottom of the case to get to the top where the output shaft is. On the chain driven cases, the input shaft turns the planetary housing which drives the oil pump. Gear driven cases use the input gear and low range gears to throw oil on the inside of the housing that collects the oil via gutters and directs it to the rear of the case by gravity. Both style of cases, must have the input shaft spinning to lube the output shaft, speedo gears, and rear seal of the t/case. The rear driveshaft must be removed.
Marlin
Old 03-14-2016, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
There is a Pathfinder that was towed with the driveshaft in and it ruined the transfer case here where I live.

To the original poster just want to make you aware of no backing with a tow dolly. You have 3 pivot points, hitch, tow dolly tires and the tires on the ground. Pay attention when making stops that you have a good entrance and exit.