Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire question???

I found bumps in my front right tire.
Can someone please tell me what is that?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Guerrero; 11-29-2003 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Where are the bumps? Sidewall? Tread?

And what do you mean by bumps..as in rubber bumps like the rubber has pimples..weird to think about..or what?

Fink
Old 11-29-2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
Where are the bumps? Sidewall? Tread?

And what do you mean by bumps..as in rubber bumps like the rubber has pimples..weird to think about..or what?

Fink
Tread...
I can't not see them, but if I pass my hand I can feel them going up and down through the whole tire tread.

My guess is that my shock is going bad.

Last edited by Guerrero; 11-29-2003 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Tom

i work in the tire business and from what i understand i see that alot. The tread has different hights up, down, up, down all around the tire right. If so, it starts of just slight and i have see it get pretty bad to the point where the customer is complaning of tire noise with an all-terrain tire. Some causes are improper rotation, problem with from end (tie rods, steering idler arms, suspension parts), misalignment, out of ballance tire or it could just be a manufacturer defective tire.

Last edited by Tom; 11-29-2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Are your tires still under warranty? If so I would take it to the place you got them, have them look at it and see what they say. Hopefully it may be covered under the warranty as long as there isn't a serious mechanical problem with the rig.

Fink
Old 11-29-2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Tom
i work in the tire business and from what i understand i see that alot. The tread has different hights up, down, up, down all around the tire right. If so, it starts of just slight and i have see it get pretty bad to the point where the customer is complaning of tire noise with an all-terrain tire. Some causes are improper rotation, problem with from end (tie rods, steering idler arms, suspension parts), misalignment, out of ballance tire or it could just be a manufacturer defective tire.
That's the best way to describe it "The tread has different hights up, down, up, down all around the tire"
I hope is a manufacturer defective tire...

Last edited by Guerrero; 11-29-2003 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
Are your tires still under warranty? If so I would take it to the place you got them, have them look at it and see what they say. Hopefully it may be covered under the warranty as long as there isn't a serious mechanical problem with the rig.

Fink
I bought my rig in September, the last owner had the warranty with cosco, but I read the warranty and it's only good for the person who bought the tires, too bad because the tires are almost new.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:19 PM

Question Please help

What should I do?
Should I rotate my tires front R to rear R and rear R to front R, front L to rear L and rear L to front L ???
Old 12-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Tom

Re: Please help

Originally posted by Guerrero
What should I do?
Should I rotate my tires front R to rear R and rear R to front R, front L to rear L and rear L to front L ???
As for the rotation its your call. My onwners manual for my prelude is front to back and back to front. As for how we do it at work we cross rotate. I never remember which way cross rotation goes because its different from front wheel drive cars to rear/4 wheel drive so i can get back to you on that tomorrow. If you have directional tires just front to back and back to front. One more thing you said that you think your shock is going, if so I'd check it fully because a bad shock could cause improper wear.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:00 AM

if you feel the vibration while driving then dump 'em cuz they're trash. Thats all I know.

ps: tire brand?

Last edited by Billrunner; 12-03-2003 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Billrunner
if you feel the vibration while driving then dump 'em cuz they're trash. Thats all I know.

ps: tire brand?
yes, I have vibration when I drive about 60 to 80 after 80 the vibration is not that bad.

TIRE BRAND:

MITCHELIN
X RADIAL LT
P225/75R15

Maybe in the middle of the next year, my plans are to get a lift kit (don't have an idea on what kit should I go for), new wheels and 33" tires. I just hoping that I can make it to next year with what I have now.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:44 PM

Re: Re: Please help

Originally posted by Tom
As for the rotation its your call. My onwners manual for my prelude is front to back and back to front. As for how we do it at work we cross rotate. I never remember which way cross rotation goes because its different from front wheel drive cars to rear/4 wheel drive so i can get back to you on that tomorrow. If you have directional tires just front to back and back to front. One more thing you said that you think your shock is going, if so I'd check it fully because a bad shock could cause improper wear.
I chech my manual for the tire rotation and it said:

Front Right to Rear Left and Front Left to Rear Rigth
Rear Right to Front Right and Rear Left to Front Left

I'm going with that.

Can you please explain me how to check if my shocks are going bad?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Tom

Re: Re: Re: Please help

Originally posted by Guerrero
I chech my manual for the tire rotation and it said:

Front Right to Rear Left and Front Left to Rear Rigth
Rear Right to Front Right and Rear Left to Front Left

I'm going with that.

Can you please explain me how to check if my shocks are going bad?

Thanks
Well thats how we would do a rotation at work. As for the shock, I dont know the only time I ever seen any one check a shock was by compresing it and pull it apart, if it hard its good and if its easy its bad. If thats a good way to check it i dont know.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help

Originally posted by Tom
Well thats how we would do a rotation at work. As for the shock, I dont know the only time I ever seen any one check a shock was by compresing it and pull it apart, if it hard its good and if its easy its bad. If thats a good way to check it i dont know.
I rotated the tires today, no more vibration in the front, but now I can hear the bad tire on the back. I guees I'm just going to way to see what happend to the other tire that I put in the front, and if that one goes bad too, that's going to be the perfect excuse to buy the whole lift kit

Thanks