Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma, power steering issue, and lemon laws.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma, power steering issue, and lemon laws.

Okay, this is I think going to be a pretty long winded post about a bunch of things, so please bear with me if you could impart some knowledge.

Two years ago (March 2003) I purchased a brand new Tacoma. I'm happy that I got the vehicle that I wanted, I start driving it around and everything is all honkey dorey. Fast forward to about Feb/Mar of this year when I notice that there is a whining/groaning/buzzing noise coming from the engine compartment when turning the steering wheel. The noise would only appear when driving a cold engine, and would usually go away after the engine is sufficiently warmed up. I do a search about it on this forum and using Google and concluded it had to do with the power steering. So two days ago I take my truck in to have the two year maintenence done and tell the clerk about the problem. I get my truck back, look at the invoice and sure enough it was the power steering pump (which I got replaced under warranty.)

Cool, my truck is all better now, just like new. Right? Well, not quite. I swear I can still hear a faint buzzing noise when I turn the wheel. Again, this only happens when the engine is cold and the sound goes away when the engine is warmed up. Is this something I should be concerned about? I've seen a few other posts where people hear noise from their PS pump when its cold, but the weather here never goes below 70°F so I'm not sure that can be a problem anyhow.

Should I take my truck down to Toyota to have them look at it again? I ask because Toyota down here likes to charge you rediculous amounts of money just to take a look at your vehicle, and thats money I can't afford to spend if I can help it. I was thinking about just waiting to see if the noise gets louder, and then take it to Toyota.

And on that note, if there is indeed another problem with the steering, would I be able to submit a claim to Toyota under the lemon law or some such? Here in Hawaii, the lemon law period is 2 years or 24,000 miles. Since its been a little more than 2 years since I've purchased my truck (and quite possibly a few more months since I may wait to see if the noise comes back/gets louder), would my truck qualify as a lemon? In other words, are those numbers set in stone and am I f***ed if its even one month past the 2 year period, or are they lenient and make exceptions?

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post, but help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by urusai; 03-27-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:52 PM

I dont think that 1 failure would consitute a lemon anyways, but i think you may not be screwed if you can prove it was broke at that time, oh, and also, next time your truck is in a shop have them look at the rack and pinion unit for the steering, mine got hot, the seals failed, and i havent had good power steering sense.

wade
Old 03-27-2005, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A buddy of mine owns a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 extended cab V6 with the TRD package which he bought in April of 2003. He just had his power steering pump replaced under warranty as it had problems leaking. No questions asked.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:32 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
According to my handy-dandy State Lemon Law Compilation book, For Hawaii, the "problem" has to show up and be reported within the warranty/lemon law period. (24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever occurrs first.) Repairs must be performed by the manufacturer even after the warranty period expires if reported while under warranty. Repairs made outside the warranty period count toward the total.
Any single defect must have been the subject of repair 3 or more times and still exist, or one time if it's likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven, or a cumulative total of 30 or more business days out of service for repair.
One repair to the power steering pump will not satisfy the lemon law requirements.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 03-29-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Banned

i doubt that qualifies for lemon law... and jsut an fyi, all petroleum thats cold getting pumped will probably make a noise... not sure if you are familiar with fords.. they have some of the strongest power steering pumps in the automotive industry, and their pumps are LOUD, nothing wrong with them, they are just LOUD
Old 03-29-2005, 11:31 AM

very true, the one on my F150 sounds like it has mismatched gears in it... kinda grinds, but it's been doing that for 7 years....
Old 04-02-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
According to my handy-dandy State Lemon Law Compilation book, For Hawaii, the "problem" has to show up and be reported within the warranty/lemon law period. (24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever occurrs first.) Repairs must be performed by the manufacturer even after the warranty period expires if reported while under warranty. Repairs made outside the warranty period count toward the total.
Any single defect must have been the subject of repair 3 or more times and still exist, or one time if it's likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven, or a cumulative total of 30 or more business days out of service for repair.
One repair to the power steering pump will not satisfy the lemon law requirements.
I see. Thanks everyone for the replies. I was just wondering if it would qualify as a lemon if I had repeat problems outside the 2 year/24,000 mile period, but I guess that answered my question.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

hmmm i remeber my dads old 5.0 mustang had a REALLY loud fuel pump...i thought i sounded awesome when i was little when he had it...when you turned the key to on it went NEEECH really loud sounded like the car was suped up or something
Old 04-02-2005, 07:33 PM

haha mines too leaked.. just replaced it no questions asked. i tried the lemon law thing but the toyota here in hawaii (waipahu auto) are hard head. they will do anything and everthing to not get you truck lemoned. cause my axle seal broke three times, power steering pump leaked, broken a/c (not lemon), annoying rattle in the dash(not lemon either), warped front brakes twice, grinding in the rear brakes. all within two years. But after all that fixing. my baby still works like a charm. No damages so far. oh yea i have a 02 tacoma 4x4 4dr.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

My power steering makes a weird noise, or I assume its the power steering. When I start the truck everything is fine, when I turn the wheel and move a couple feet I hear a loud buzz, or burr sound....it wont do it again unless I shut it off and let it cool...I dunno, keep an eye on it, if it acts funny next time its in the shop mention it....
Old 04-04-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by urusai
I see. Thanks everyone for the replies. I was just wondering if it would qualify as a lemon if I had repeat problems outside the 2 year/24,000 mile period, but I guess that answered my question.
You would need This Same Problem to go back into the shop 2 more times, in a timely manner suggesting that its the same problem they are trying to fix. Re-read my original post. Now that it's been reported within the warranty period, more repairs of this same problem after the warranty is over still count. After 3 attempts to fix it, if it still isn't fixed, then you would qualify to file against Toyota under the lemon law. This doesn't mean after 3 attempts and still not fixed you have a lemon and get a new car. It only means you have established the basis for a complaint.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Easy.... you may have air in the PS pump. The techs are supposed to put a vacuum to it and turn the steering wheel left and right with the engine off and key on to vent it. Also some noises are acceptable levels.