Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

This is really not cool...gas door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is really not cool...gas door won't open

Alright, so this is probably the dumbest problem I have run into with any vehicle, ever. I pulled into the gas station with my 97 4Runner and I pulled the lever to release the latch on the gas door -- nothing. The cable looks to be OK and I traced it back as much as I could in the parking lot -- looks good.

I tried reaching up on the neck coming off of the tank to release it from behind and it's blocked by the hard inner fender liner. Does anyone know if I can get to the release by pulling the panels in the cargo area? This is just stupid!

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:32 AM

did you make sure it was still connected to the lever under the dash? I have a honda that got messed up there. It should be holding the oustide of the cable and pulling on the inner part of the cable.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 AM

interesting... that would suck, of course if your really in need of gas, a flat head screw driver used gently will pop it out for now until you can get it someplace to fix it (dont ask me how i know that...)
Old 11-26-2007, 07:49 AM

Theres a thin metal spring type thing on the gas tank door. If you loose that you won't be able to open the door. It happened on my camry and I had to take it to the stealership to get it fixed.

That's just my 2 cents.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by onesojourner
did you make sure it was still connected to the lever under the dash? I have a honda that got messed up there. It should be holding the oustide of the cable and pulling on the inner part of the cable.
Yeah, the cable is still connected to the lever. I got a good hold on the cable itself and I gave it a tug and it still won't pop open. Thanks for the suggestion though...
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by wormhole
Theres a thin metal spring type thing on the gas tank door. If you loose that you won't be able to open the door. It happened on my camry and I had to take it to the stealership to get it fixed.

That's just my 2 cents.
Isn't it crazy how something so small can be such a pain in the a$$??!! Hopefully I can get the thing open without a sawzall or torch. I'm not taking it to the dealership
Old 11-26-2007, 09:32 AM

I have the same exact problem. It would pop open, then one day, nothing. I gently pried it open and it's been half closed ever since. The latch inside the truck is fine; the door is not.

Any ideas?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Every time I use one of the remote release devices (hood and fuel) I think about... what do I do if this thing fails. I mentally keep track of whether the pull force needed has changed (I worry about too many things).

Once broke, if you've got a good dealer, I'd take it there. It is probably a trivial fix for them. Its too easy to make the problem worse.. scratches etc.

They are just cables... not easy to lubricate. Except the latches. Keep them greased.

Not much help after the fact. Let us know what you do to fix it, or get it fixed.

Last edited by rdharper; 11-26-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SAWZALL!

Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by rdharper
Every time I use one of the remote release devices (hood and fuel) I think about... what do I do if this thing fails. I mentally keep track of whether the pull force needed has changed (I worry about too many things).
And I thought my OCD was bad. Now that u mentioned it I will probb start to do this as well. You Bastard.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Mine did the same thing. The little spring that pushes the door open broke. Hold the release in the release position and see if someone can push the fuel door open.When that spring breaks, the latch is locking and releasing but there is nothing to move the door out of the way of the latch.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DID HE SAY TORCH OH MY THAT WOULD GET THAT DOOR OPEN IN A HEARTBEAT CAN YOU SAY BOOM
Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 98runner210
Mine did the same thing. The little spring that pushes the door open broke. Hold the release in the release position and see if someone can push the fuel door open.When that spring breaks, the latch is locking and releasing but there is nothing to move the door out of the way of the latch.
Great suggestion - I was alone when I was trying to get it open so I could either pry on the door or pull the lever, but not both. I'll drag my wife outside to help tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll just torch it off... I won't tell you how that went though because my fingers and face will most likely be lost to the cause
Old 11-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98runner210

That's exactly what you have to do! Mine did the same thing a few months back and I had to get a random guy at the gas station to pull the release lever while I yanked open the door. It was terrible because I was making a long trip and literally had to leave the gas door cracked so I could fill up when I needed to until I could get to the stealership and get a new spring.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:36 PM

mine does the same thing, but for some reason only when it starts getting cold in the winter...but i just take my key and give it a little pry and go back and it opens up...
Old 11-26-2007, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if this ever happens to my baby i'll be the first to have the "velcro mod", i'll post pics
Old 11-26-2007, 05:05 PM

With the price of gas, you don't want the door to open.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For one person operation you could pull the lever and clamp the cable in place with some vice grips.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 PM

Well until i could fix mine I bent the little arm in so the latch didn't catch it. I forgot about it until my friend was driving behind me and was like "dude everytime you turn right, your gas door swings open." I was oh thats what that sound is.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

If it is the spring that pushes the door open, you could temporarily probably put something spunchy (sp?) between the gas cap and the door for now. That'll push it open when you pull the lever.

Quick Reply: This is really not cool...gas door won't open