Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rattle in dash is driving me nuts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a slight rattle coming from under my steering column. I know that it's a result of the idiots at Circuit City installing my alarm, because I have tapped the loose wires and reproduced the noise. I don't think that I have the same rattle that you have described with your 2002. I will get some electrical tape and a few zip ties tomorrow morning and tackle my noise. If I hear anything else or this does not fix it I will report back.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:48 PM

more rattle stuff

I have a 2000 taco extended cab 4x4 and have a rattle either in my drivers door or the rear area where the speaker is and another one on the air bag on the passenger side , I took it to the dealer today (morons) they are,, the rattle in the passenger side air bag was covered under warrenty up to 36k miles of course i have 60k miles when i took it in there the first year and talked to the service guy he said oh that noise should go away after the truck gets some more miles on it so they wouldnt fix it , they of course know nothing of the rattle on the drivers side door or what ever do any of you guys know of a web sight that posts all of Toyotas service bulletin's and maybe what needs to be done to fix these problems
thanks Robb
2000 tacoma extended cab 4x4 street toy
76 FJ40 V-8 Landcruiser Trail toy
jeep.............................................. .....it's what's for dinner
Old 08-12-2005, 07:53 AM

I had one,,,it was the plastic vent assembly, between the hood and the windshield

took me forever to find

it sounded as if it was from the dash, glovebox or even the shifter area

it became loose and would create a noise,,slightly tapping the hood and the cowl panel, seemed like a rattle from loose shifter bolts or something

I pressed the cowl plastic back in, noise went away, however it loosened again, I plan on covering the plastic nubs with something like masking tape, then jam the plastic panel back into the cowl panel, that is part of the firewall
Old 08-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Rattle in Dash

Hello, I have a 98 4runner and experienced a similar problem. Here is a link to CustomTacos that describes a similar problem with Tacomas. I purchased some weather stripping material 7/16"X1.5" and 1. put 2 strips, one on each side of the ECM, 2. Cable Tie to secure the Blower Motor control cable to the reinforcement bar right above the ECM and 3. a strip of the weather stripping material on the underside of my hood that has an outline of the rubber material between the hood and the cowl section. This took care of my rattle issue.
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/inde..._v2&id=134&c=6

select, “Read the TSB in PDF format “

I hope this helps.

Mike L.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know... "Holy Old Post Revival Batman", but I need to add my 2 cents...

After doing tons of research on "Dash Rattles", "Dash Squeaks", "Dash noise", etc., and after ripping my dash apart more than a few times over the course of a year to find this annoyingly ellusive dash rattle problem, I finally nailed it down. It's not the dash at all! It's not even inside the cab! Turns out that it is the passenger side hood hinge pin! If I make a fist and then bump down on the top of the hood right on the corner near the hinge, the hoods hinge pin creaks quite loudly. When I open the hood and grab hold of the corner nearest the hinge, I can create the same noise just by forceably moving the hinge and pin assembly (even though it only moves just a little bit). Now to find the cure. I tried WD-40, and then some Lithium Grease but that didn't help. So what I ended up doing was taking a hammer and chisel and dimpling the top of the hinge just enough to tighten the joint to take out any play that was in there. I know that this is just a temporary fix until I either replace the hinge with a new one or find some other cure but anyway, for now, it'll do. That sharp rapping noise is now gone! Woo Hoo!

Here's the little bastard here:

Last edited by Swede; 10-10-2008 at 06:44 PM.