Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Questions about planned mods: tires, lift, gears, and more for my new '02 T4R Limited

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about planned mods: tires, lift, gears, and more for my new '02 T4R Limited

Before you guys cringe at the generic topic, I've been reading and searching for days now

I've been searching for a decent '99+ 4Runner for three months now with no luck. Today I finally put a deposit down on a 2002 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 Limited. I'll be starting another thread with pics when I take delivery next Wednesday; the purpose of this thread is to address the modifications I'm planning on performing to turn this into my ideal rig.

The reason I sold my '97 BMW 540i 6-speed to seek out a 4Runner is that I need something I can use as a business vehicle during the week and then take to the beach or woods on the weekend. That said, I'm obviously not going to be doing anything too extreme.

Below I'll list the modifications I have planned for this in the order which I plan on completing them. I'd really appreciate your suggestions, comments, and feedback.

Winch - Warn M8000

Four weeks ago, my brother (who knows I'm planning on putting a winch on the 4Runner I'm planning on purchasing) calls me and tells me his friend wrecked his truck before he got a chance to install the winch he bought for it, a Warn M8000. The thing is brand new in the box (still stapled shut), and I picked it up for $400.

Front Bumper - ARB Bull Bar

This was a very tough decision, which front bumper to go with. The ARB and the TJM both look good (my opinion of which looks better changes hourly) and seem to be of the same build quality. That new one by Shrockworks is in a whole different league, but it's way too much money. I'd still be debating as to which I should get if not for 4wheelparts and their sale + free shipping. I got the ARB Bull Bar for $665 shipped to my door, which was enough incentive for me to choose it over the TJM.

CB Radio - Either Cobra 19 DX IV or Uniden Pro 520 XL

I want something that will match the interior, perform well, and offer the features I need. I'm calling a reputable CB shop tomorrow to ask them which of these two radio's they recommend, then I'm going to have them do a performance tune-up. I believe for an antenna I'll use one of those Firestick tunable antenna's I've been hearing good things about. I'll also be wiring up a PA speaker.

Tires - Undecided (but I have an idea)

I'd like to run 295/75R16's on the stock 5-spoke wheels. Everyone here seems to be in love with the Nitto Terra Grapplers, so I thought maybe I'd give those a try, but I haven't made a final decision yet. Though I want to get a quality tire, I can't afford to spend the extra $$ required for the higher end stuff. I plan on doing a lot of road driving, quite a bit of sand stuff, and some dirt/mud.

Lift Kit - Undecided (need help guys! )

<--- This is me when it comes to the lift kit options of the 3rd Gen 4Runner.

First of all, I don't like the *idea* of a body lift. I put an emphasis on idea because I don't know as much as I probably should before making an educated decision either way. I've seen some which seem to leave a gap between the body and the bumper, something I definitely do not want. Then I've seen some which don't appear to have that issue and look great. If I can't get away with running 295's without a body lift, please let me know. I might, however, want a 1-2" lift for a bit better clearance (and because most that I've seen with them look badass).

As for the actual suspension lift, it seems there are two main 'camps': people who purchase pre-made kits (Sonoran Steel) and people who put together their own kits by sourcing the parts themselves. I had a Tacoma a couple years back with a 3" front spacer/rear coilpack that seemed OK, but I've since read that it'd be best to not use spacers.

From what I've read on here and elsewhere, the Sonoran Steel kits are very nice. I'm thinking the 1.1 might be the kit for me, but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. This picture on their website says this 4Runner has the 1.1 kit and it's running 315/75R16's, so will I be OK with the 1.1 and 295's? Is this 4Runner really running just the 1.1 with no body lift?

http://www.sonoransteel.com/System_1_Demo_001.jpg

If any of you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Gearing - Undecided

I'm not sure, but I think it's going to be best to regear in order to maintain the driving characteristics of the stock drivetrain with the larger tires, correct? If I'm running 295's, what ratio would you guys recommend to retain stock power/gas mileage?

Stereo Head Unit/Navigation/Communications - Pioneer Avic Z2

This is for my business

This does it all, plus some. Navigation, DVD, MP3, Bluetooth, Voice Command, etc.

Sliders - Undecided

I've seen quite a few I really like, just need to do some recon and track down the make/model.

Under Armor/Skid Plates - Budbuilt

When I get the $ I plan on ordering a complete set. Do I need it? I'm not sure, but I'll definitely feel better knowing it's there when I go play in the woods.

So far, this is what I have planned. I'd really like to hear your input and suggestions!

Last edited by Joey Link; 12-26-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:39 PM

Looks like you have your mind made up!

As far as a lift, I would suggest the SS 1.1 set up available at www.sonoransteel.com and a 1-2" body lift to clear the 295s. You are definately going to need to regear and I would suggest reading this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...9-315s-130545/ and going with 4.88s. Upgrade your tranny cooler while you are at it and maybe consider having your Valve Body worked for firmer shifts (less slip).

While you are at Sonoran Steel, check out the sliders they have there. As far as I have read, they are the standard by which most 4Runner sliders are measured by. I view them as inexpensive too considering how much you will save in body work...

I would think that if you are hitting the rocks and large trees, etc, that getting underbody armor is a good idea. If you are just gonna drive on the beach...forget it.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the reply Man4God, I was beginning to think nobody was going to. This community seems quite a bit different than those for my other hobbies (cigars, guns, bourbon) where people are falling over themselves to answer questions

So does that 4Runner on their website with the 1.1 and 315's have more than just the 1.1 lift? I'm still really weary of body lifts, and I've heard the ARB bumper won't work with them.

I do plan on ordering a set of Stubbs sliders. Above I mentioned I know what style I want but I'm not sure which make/model they are. Turns out they're Stubbs
Old 12-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Give Steve a call at Sonoran Steel and talk with him. He can definitely dial you in on what you want for what you're gonna do.

The SS 1.1 is a popular lift, and it works well.

Good luck with the build!
Old 12-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Joey Link
From what I've read on here and elsewhere, the Sonoran Steel kits are very nice. I'm thinking the 1.1 might be the kit for me, but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. This picture on their website says this 4Runner has the 1.1 kit and it's running 315/75R16's, so will I be OK with the 1.1 and 295's? Is this 4Runner really running just the 1.1 with no body lift?

http://www.sonoransteel.com/System_1_Demo_001.jpg
Joey...that is my 4Runner and I am running a 1.5" body lift along with a modified Sonoran Steel 1.1 kit. Even with the BL, I still had to do quite a bit of trimming in the wheel wells for the 315s to clear the body during the suspension's range of motion. I still rub a bit at full stuff but not to the point where I am bending body panels. Is there any reason you want 295s vs. 285s?

It sounds like you have a pretty clear vision of where you want your 4Runner to end up. That puts you ahead of a lot of people just starting off. As for the suspension, give Steve at Sonoran Steel a call and let him know what your goal is and he can answer any questions you might have. Before you do that, make sure you read all the info on his suspension page. There is a whole load of information at the bottom of the page that a lot of people miss.

Last edited by Bighead; 12-28-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Bighead, that's a really nice rig man. The fact that you have to do a bunch of trimming + the body lift is the reason I want to go with 33's instead of 35's. I wanted to go with 295's over 285's for that extra little bit of height, but if it's going to mean much more work and/or headache, I'd rather run 285's. Would I be able to run 285's with just the 1.1 kit and no body lift?

I wanted to make sure I knew exactly what I'm going to use this rig for before I started modifying it. Just like anything, if you know where you want to end up, you'll have a much easier time getting there.

Are there any 4"-5" kits on the market?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 AM

There is a company in Alcoa TN that may be able to hook you up with a5.5 inch lift for the front. The company's website is Topguncustomz.com. I have talked before with the owner and he said that rough country (not sure, maybe tuff country?) will split up the lift kits for their tacoma 5.5 inch kits, allowing you to buy the front suspension without having to buy the rear leaf springs. That was a little over 2 years ago, but they may be able to help you out. That much lift should clear 35"s (from what they said) without rubbing.This of course leaves you with how are you going to lift the rear. Maybe 2" lift LC coils? This also means cutting on some cross-members, something you might wanna consider. I would love to see this done, but I am content with my 285's for now. Maybe in about, oh, I don't know... 7 years?

Last edited by Cuthroat72; 12-31-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 AM

You shouldn't have too much rubbing with 1.1 & 285's. Maybe a little bit during hard wheeling.

Seems like you've got everything in order. There are 3 things I would do, 2 of which are very inexpensive.

1) Rear bumper w/ tire carrier. Not necessary at all, but if you've got the front bumper/winch, 33's, then it would compliment the look very well, plus give you better clearance underneath.

2) Rear diff (and front) breather mod. Look it up in the Tech Articles section. Minimal cost and will save diffs incase of water crossings.

3) VSA/TRAC switch (also called Andy Mod. Search for it). I've found this to be VERY useful. I just wish it could be made to turn on and off without restarting. And I'm trying to find a push button, instead of the rocker switch.

Good luck on the build.