Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question About Bilsteins/Edelbrocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question About Bilsteins/Edelbrocks

Hey I just registered for this board and I have a few questions about shocks.
Well first off here's the info on my truck...
1991 4Runner SR-5 4x4, V6 3.0L 3VZ-E, K&N FIPK Intake, Downey HD 1.5" Rear Coils, Sway-A-Way Torsion Bars (Cranked To level the front with the back).
Currently my shocks are these KYB Gas Powered Shocks (Forgot what they're called, but the body of them is all white), and these darn things are WAY too stiff for me. I do a lot of trail riding, and offroading in the desert with my friends, and i'm always bouncing around, even if it's just a little bump. So I want to replace my shocks.
My friend drives a '93 Truck and he has Bilsteins on it and he loves them and said he wouldn't get anything else for it. So I rode in his truck for a while and my god there's such a big difference. His truck just soaks up all the whoops (lines of small bumps in the desert is the best way I can describe them ) So i'm really considering getting Bilsteins for my truck.
I'm also considering the Edelbrock IAS Shocks, mainly because i've read good things about them online, and I was reading on Corey's 4Runner Site (Where I got the link to this forum ) that he has them on his truck, and his truck is identical to mine (except mine doesn't have all those mods... yet).
So I decided to go get some Bilsteins mainly because my friend was telling me to go ahead and get those. So I drove down to the local Offroad Warehouse, and I was talking to the guy there and telling him what I wanted, and what I had on my truck, and he said that I couldn't use the Bilsteins that they have listed for a 91 4Runner because mine is lifted (I have 1.5" Downey Rear Coils and cranked Sway-A-Way torsion bars) and that I'd have to go with Bilsteins made for a Land Cruiser because they're 2" longer; but then he said if I got those, I wouldn't have the warranty. So I said screw that (because I really like the idea of the lifetime warranty if something goes wrong).
Then I drove to the local 4Wheel Parts (like a mile away ) to get some Edelbrocks (ORW only sells Bilsteins from what I saw, 4Wheel Parts sells everything else ) So I go in and talk to the guy and tell him what I want to do, and what shocks I want, and he tells me that he refuses to sell me Edelbrocks... WTF? I Don't understand why he refuses to sell me Edelbrocks. He kept trying to convince me to buy Pro Comp or Ranchos.
So i'm stuck trying to figure out what I should do. I need new shocks, I can't stand my KYB's anymore, let alone another trip to the desert. Now onto my questions (Sorry about rambling on, I just thought it might help explain my situation )

1.) How well do Bilsteins perform on a 2nd Gen 4Runner? Will it absorb some or all of the bumps, and smooth my ride while i'm offroading?
2.) If so does anyone have a part number for the Bilsteins that will work for my 4Runner? I looked up on the Bilstein Site and the only ones they have for a 90-95 4Runner are stock, or 4" lift applications.
3.) How do Edelbrock IAS Shocks perform, on and offroad? Corey, I don't know if you read these boards, but what do you think of yours? Are they worth the money? And why would someone completely refuse to sell me a set of Edelbrocks for my truck?
4.) What part number for the Edelbrock IAS should I buy? I checked out the Edelbrock site, and all I was able to find were the ones for a stock 90-95 4Runner.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm just so confused about all of this, and I've had no luck finding any information on this.
Thanks.

-Braden
Old 09-12-2002, 11:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forums Braden. Of course I read the boards

Those two shops probably don't no diddly squat about Toyota's.
You can use the Bil's, or the Edel's with the Downey coils back aft, and a mild crank on the T bars.

The LC shocks will be too long for you.
I ran stock length Les Schwab Mountain Ryder shocks before I got the Edelbrock's.
They worked fine. The Edlebrock's are also stock length.

You won't have a problem with either. I have had my rig pretty articulated front & rear in off camber spots, and the shocks are fine.

I'd go with either one you want to get. I of course love the Edel's. I'd like to cruise in a rig like mine though with the Bil's for comparison purposes.

Either shock will work fine. Also on the bottom of my websites index page is a suspension shoot out over at ODW's forum.
You will see a few other 2nd gen rigs in there, and what they run.

I have run Rancho 5000s in the past on my '90 truck. I ran two sets, and I was not overly impressed with them.
hence the reason I anted up the $$$ this time for the Edel's.

Your rig may still ride a little stiff up front though since you don't have an ARB or winch.
The stock T bars are 22.5 mm I think. The SAW's are 25mm, sot that's quite a jump.

I had to switch to them as the stock T bars had me looking like a porpoise when I came to stops.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the quick response and the helpful info Corey I had read some bad things about the Ranchos, so that's why I didn't bother going with those. And what you said about my local shops not diddly about Toyotas, you're right on the money. After I went to try and buy my shocks, I decided that I should go in there knowing exactly what I want and need, mainly because i've never gotten very good help at either shop, and half the time they never know what i'm talking about. So I was really happy when I found this board dedicated to Toyotas
As far as the torsion bars are concerned, I figured I might as well get the Sway-A-Ways before any of my big mods. And my friend (The same one the has Bilsteins) told me that they would help a lot with bottoming out, because with my stock t-bars i'd bottom out like crazy, and so far with the SaW's I haven't. So i'm happy
Well now I just need to decide whether or not to get Edelbrocks or Bilsteins
Thanks for your help

-Braden
Old 09-12-2002, 04:41 PM

they refused to sel you the edelbrocks? :wtf: you should have told him to go #@$! himself and give you your shocks. well i guess corey gave you all the help you need and good luck installing those new shocks of yours, hope they work for you.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:02 PM

Yeah I couldn't understand why he wouldn't sell me the Edelbrock's either. The funny thing was that he couldn't give me a reason why he wouldn't sell them to me, he kept trying to push Rancho 5000's on me (From what I know now, and what Corey said, i'm glad I didn't get those ) I'm probably going to get the Edelbrocks, mainly because I've read a lot of great things about them, and my only Bilstein Experience i've had is in a stock 93 Toyota Truck, while it was a great ride, i'm just not sure how they'll handle with my truck. And plus Corey seems to love his Edel's and he has the same truck as I do (Except he has a lot more toys, that I wish I had )
So I'm going to save up a bit more money and order some Edelbrock's Hmmmmm maybe i'll go to the 4Wheel Parts store and buy some Edelbrock's from that guy just to shove it in his face

Thanks for all your help Corey This board has been more helpful than any other board I have read. And you get a very fast response time here

-Braden
Old 09-14-2002, 06:20 PM

yeh i love this place too. you should def. go back to that guy and tell him what's up. rancho's are good too, maybe more expensive is that why he wanted to sell them to you?
Old 09-14-2002, 06:34 PM

I'm going to go back there on monday (the guy wasn't working today ) and buy the Edelbrocks. I'm not sure why he was pushing the Ranchos on me so much, I checked out the price and they were like $30 cheaper than the Edelbrocks I'm starting to get the impression that the people at 4Wheel Parts get paid on a commision or something, because every time i'm in there, like when I bought my K&N FIPK Kit, the guy (different guy, same store) kept trying to push me into buying an airfilter and cleaning kit for my truck (The FIPK Replaces the old air intake, and comes with it's own filter which is completely different than the stock one, and it comes with a cleaning kit in the box ) So I think he was just trying to rack up some sales or something.

-Braden
Old 09-14-2002, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bilsteins

I have a '93 4Runner SR5 V6 with Performance Products rear coils and slightly cranked stock torsion bars. I've had my Bilsteins for about 5 years and they have been great - a good balance. Not too hard, not too soft. I got mine from Performance Products and had a local garage install them for me. I haven't done alot of hardcore wheelin' with this rig - it spends most of its time on the street. The Bilsteins really shine on the road.

For what its worth...
Old 09-16-2002, 09:54 PM

I've had the Edelbrocks for two years now and they ROCK! They ride smooth around town and firm up for a solid ride on the trail. I've wheeled in mud, sand, snow and rocks and they have given me great handling 100% of the time. My favorite mod to date.
Don't listen to the 4Wheel Parts guys- I get different "advice" every time I go there and most of the time it is wrong. If you ever have a question the guys here are your best source for tried and true info