Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pro Comp 4" lift on a 3rd gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro Comp 4" lift on a 3rd gen 4Runner

My search for this answer keeps eluding me so here goes...

Somebody once installed the 4" Pro Comp Tacoma lift on their 3rd gen 4Runner. I'm looking for a link to it. I want to know how the rear end is raised w/o converting to the All Pro Offroad leaf springs. How does one go about with a 4" rear coil lift? I would think that new upper and lower links are needed, but who makes them? I know the panhard drop is needed too (available at Sonoran). I've read posts saying this stuff is all too common in Hawaii, but was hoping to find a source here in the states.

I know I've seen the pictures of one of these 3rd gens w/ the 4" Pro Comp lift, but this is bugging me not being able to find it.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the rear you would probably need some sort of coil/spacer combination.

Or you might actually be able to run th FJ80 OME front coils on the rear of your 3rd gen for about 5" to 5.5" of lift. As far as I know though, that has not been tried yet.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 6" TM lift... The front end is sweet. I really like the ride on and off road...

I just finally made the rear soft enough. I am running the 9-wrap (LONG) Landcruiser coils with 1.5" daystar spacers. I am getting exactly 6" of rear lift at the moment. I also have a big drop panhard bar.

I was running about 8" of REAR lift for a few months and that sucked. Too stiff, no flex. Just dropped it down to 6, and its way better.

I do plan on switching to 63" chevy leaf springs in the future, but, for now Im pretty stoked. It rides smooth.

If your going to do a drop-bracket type lift, Id definetly do the Tuff country. That lfit looks the best IMO. And you can still run coil-overs. The 4" procomp lift is cool and all,but, not worth the money, since you can get 4" of lift fairly cheap with coils and a body lift.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
If your going to do a drop-bracket type lift, Id definetly do the Tuff country. That lfit looks the best IMO. And you can still run coil-overs. The 4" procomp lift is cool and all,but, not worth the money, since you can get 4" of lift fairly cheap with coils and a body lift.
HA! That was my next question. Wasn't sure if I should start a new post, but since you brought it up...

I was going to ask for opinions on a 2.5" coil spacer/2" body lift combination w/ RS9000X shocks VS. the Pro Comp 4" diff drop kit.

I'll assume either set up will allow you to run the same size tires (true or false???), but the first set up will cost about $500 whereas the second one would be about $1800.

SC4Runner: Why do you recommend the Tuff Country and not the Fabtech? I installed the Fabtech on my Tacoma and really like it. I do understand that the TC is 5" vs. the Fabtech 6" which bring my next question: How tippy is your 4Runner with 6" of lift? I read somewhere that the 4Runner weighs about 1,000 more than the Tacoma which is what makes me nervous about lifting more than 4". I'd love to do a bigger lift, but I HATE leaning around corners.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Dorian,

I think the 2" spacer and 2" body lift would be better since its cheaper and you'll end up having more ground clearance overall. You'll be able to fit the same size tires too!

The 5" Tuff country just looks like the best IMO. It retains the factory upper and lower control arms as well as letting you have the use of aftermarket coil-overs. I think the combonation of a drop bracket lift and coil-overs are the best. (The coilovers set to 0-1" of lift).

The fabtech is definetly a good lift, but a little overpriced. I do like the stabilizing bars that run from the frame to the drop bracket. I am planning on making some for my current lift right now.

As far as the overall ride of the 4runner... Well, it doesn't corner all that well, but, I do not experience an over abundance of body roll. I have even taken out the rear sway bar!! I seriously do not have problems going around curves as long as I am driving cautiously. I drive pretty slow anyways...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM

Exclamation pro comp coils on 95 4runner

I have a copmpletly stock 95 4runner 4wd w/ auto tranny.
I just ordered pro comp 3.5-4inch coils, panhard bracket.
What shocks do I order? I will never go crazy offroading, this is a pavment pounder. I also will prob do ball joint spacer in front, just wanna get right shock first time, either Procomp or Rancho.

Thanks ahead of time for help
Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried Rancho, Procomp, OME, and Bilstein shocks through the years on my different Yotas. My order:
1) OME
2) Bilstein
3) Rancho (only the 9000s are worth a crap IMO)

-Procomp didn't even make my list, in fact they were the worst shocks I've ever used.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

I think ROOFGOOF did the 4" pro comp lift on his front