Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Over the mountains with a UHaul

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over the mountains with a UHaul

It's been a long week going thru Yotatech withdrawal, but I'm back!

My M-I-L decided to move back to NJ after she went up for a visit, so we loaded a 5x8 Uhaul with her "stuff" and took a little trip. We took I95 to I26 and then took I77 N out of Columbia, SC. On I77 we crossed the Blue Ridge Mtn's and the Runner cruised up most of the inclines at 65 mph in OD with 3-5 lbs boost. Maybe a half dozen times she down-shifted to 3rd.

Then we had a nice ride up I81 into Pennsylvania where we picked up I80 and headed back over the mountains E to NJ .

This was our first long trip with the Supercharger/Runner and the extra power was great to have, especially pulling the trailer. And, we avg'd 17 mpg on the way up and ~20.5 on the way back.

We've made this same trip with our '95 with Dueler HT's and with the 2K with the RT/S tires and I have always had a lower back ache. With the new GY Fortera tires we just put on, my back didn't ache, a really pleasant surprise.

Anyway, it's good to be back!
Old 08-17-2002, 05:19 PM

Be glad for the supercharger.
I pulled the exact same trailer from NJ to CO. Elevations started to go up near MO and into KS and the Runner spent alot of time in a lower gear going up the rolling hills.
I think my worse mileage was 11mpg:eek: I was pushing it though because I just wanted to get here already after spending two days on the road

You've missed alot since you have been gone. Corey is selling his 4Runner and we are all buying Pontiac Azteks and changing the board over.

:beaver:
Old 08-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Beavah
You've missed alot since you have been gone. Corey is selling his 4Runner and we are all buying Pontiac Azteks and changing the board over.

:beaver: [/B]

Sounds like your Runner came through with flying colors Ron.
Corey
Old 08-18-2002, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by Beavah
Be glad for the supercharger.
I pulled the exact same trailer from NJ to CO. Elevations started to go up near MO and into KS and the Runner spent alot of time in a lower gear going up the rolling hills.
I think my worse mileage was 11mpg:eek: I was pushing it though because I just wanted to get here already after spending two days on the road

:beaver:
The trailer liked to sway a little at 70 so I just set the cruise on 65 and drove with the mirrors to avoid getting blocked by slower traffic going up and getting run over by "coasters' going down hill. Azteks!!! :cry:

Corey without a Runner to keep clean and shiney!!!! Musta been to much

Yep Corey, a good trip even with that trailer tailgateing me all the way.

Maybe someday I can make it to Washington State to have the Runner "Coreyized", and then swing by Pennsylvania to have Jason B do my engine bay.