Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Oil Pressure Switch 5VZFE

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil Pressure Switch 5VZFE

Just thought I'd post an FYI... Over the last couple years I've noticed that when it gets really cold in the winter my '98 4runner gets an oil leak. After inspecting it looks like it comes from my oil filter and I give it just a little turn to help seal it. At first I thought I might have a double gasket problem but no, and turning the filter doesn't really tighten it up much. I just chalked it up to the gasket being cold and maybe contracting a little and letting some oil out.

The other day I noticed a HUGE puddle of oil under my 4runner and when I got under to look there was a massive amount of oil everywhere. I cleaned it all up with brake cleaner, checked the oil filter to make sure it was tight (it was), and cranked it up to see where it was leaking. There was a steady drip coming out of the plastic part of the Oil Pressure Switch right above and to the left of the oil filter. The oil would drip down onto the filter and make it look like the filter itself had the leak. It appears all this time the switch was the culprit and would leak when the extreme cold came around, but this time it just cracked too much and gave way.

I ordered a new OEM switch for around $28, Advance Auto had aftermarket for $13 but my baby is still all OEM so I like to splurge. A few tips for putting the new one in... I have access to a 2 post lift so I used that only for convenience, I don't see why you couldn't do this in your garage though. The old OEM switch needed deep 27mm socket, but the new one was 24mm FYI. I opted to remove the oil filter to get more leverage to turn the ratchet to remove the old and install the new switch, and I took the left front wheel off so I had room to work. When I went to remove the old switch I could get the socket over the switch but couldn't get my ratchet on the socket due to clearance between the socket and the alternator. I should say that I was using a 1/2" drive socket and the 1/2" drive ratchet was pretty thick so you may have better luck with a 3/8" drive socket and ratchet fitting if you can find a 27mm socket in 3/8" drive. I however used a punch to insert into the hole in the side of the socket and used that as a lever to loosen the oil pressure switch. Worked like a charm. Threaded in the new switch with my 3/8" drive 24mm socket and a thinner 3/8" drive ratchet and the new one was installed in 10 seconds. Plugged it in, installed the oil filter, added oil, gave the engine another good cleaning, started the engine and checked for any leaks. No leaks. Drove home (13 miles) and checked the area and still all bone dry.

Funny how a tiny little component that doesn't show any sign of damage can make it look like you need a new engine.

I'm putting this up for anyone else that has a mystery oil leak, check your oil pressure switch.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, never heard of one of those leaking. Good job!
Old 08-30-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread

I have a 2004 Pre-Runner V6 2WD
I inadvertently grabbed the wire to the oil pressure switch with my oil filter wrench and broke the wire.
After doing some searching for replacement parts I came up with this:

TERMINAL, REPAIR W/ WIRE 82998-12440

HOUSING, CONNECTOR F 90980-11363

Just looking for someone to verify they're correct.

Also, where does the other end of the wire end?

thanks

Syb