Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Northwest Offroad SS Catback

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northwest Offroad SS Catback

Any 3rd generation 4Runner owners try the NWOR SS catback system? It seems Borla never came out with one for Y2K runners and I haven`t seen any others except for cheapy brands. Need input on NWOR catback? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:56 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Personaly I would try and find another outfit to get your setup from, or have a local shop build you one like most do.

Did you read this?

Most WA. state people like myself are ashamed of this outfit in our state.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by Corey
Personaly I would try and find another outfit to get your setup from, or have a local shop build you one like most do.

Did you read this?

Most WA. state people like myself are ashamed of this outfit in our state.
Good idea, on the search again.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:47 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes, that post is in the Vendor Feedback forum.
Good place to check in every once in awhile to get info on vendors.

I have bought from them in the past around 12 years ago, and more recently back in early '99, but they will never see any of my greenbacks again.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:10 AM

I remember I got a pair of 1.5 in rear springs for my 92 pup and it lifted it 3 inches ass high. I called them and got nowhere. Ended up selling them to someone who needed that height. I have their rear 1.5 coil springs on my 4Runner, a bit higher than stated but just right for my SAW up front. That will now be the last thing I ever get from them.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

I just order their catalog so I have something to look at that is "all toyota parts." But given the experience of those on the forum, I'd never give them my business. hope you find a good setup elsewhere.

Last edited by keisur; 11-09-2003 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Away

Yep, you should avoid NWOR like the plague. They just don't care about you once they get your money. They accuse EVERYONE of lying who have a complaint about a product that was bought from them. They NEVER accept responsibility for giving you incorrect or misleading information.

I just received a new catalog from them in the mail last week. I didn't order it, it just showed up. I noticed that the 1.5" front lift springs are no longer listed as having an application for the 4Runner. Curious, don't you think?

As for the rear springs, they don't give the stated amount of lift, either. They gave me and everyone else who has bought them at least 2" of lift and usually more. They're not completely horrible springs, but I'm going to get rid of them just on principle. I can't even bring myself to think about selling my NWOR springs to anyone else. I'll just bite the bullet and take the loss and the lesson learned from all of this.

As for your exhaust query, I'd recommend the Jardine system that I have. Several others on this board have them now and they all love it. I bought mine from Performance Products, but I'd recommend buying it from Truck Performance Center.

One thing to check before ordering any exhaust system is to see how many catalytic converters you have. There are a lot of sales reps that don't realize that there are lots of 4Runners made in 1999 and 2000 that came with Federal Emissions setups that only have one cat. If you have only one, you need the exhaust system that fits the 96-98 models. If you have two cats, then you need the 99-02 CA Emissions model. Don't let anyone tell you different. So, do yourself a favor and take a peek underneath the truck first to verify this.

With that said, good luck with whatever you decide to do and welcome to the forums!

G
Old 11-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with the doc...I like my Jardine catback very much. Nice sound, good looking system and you can install it yourself.

Mick
Old 11-09-2003, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lemme pop in as someone who's walked up to the counter at NWOR looking for simple air fittings - of which they had examples in a display case about 12' to my left.

They were the biggest jerks I'd encountered in I dunno how long. I will NEVER spend money with them, NEVER recommend someone to buy anything from them, and would drive HOURS in a direction away from them to satisfy a need.

Please spend your money elsewhere.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by midiwall
Lemme pop in as someone who's walked up to the counter at NWOR looking for simple air fittings - of which they had examples in a display case about 12' to my left.

They were the biggest jerks I'd encountered in I dunno how long. I will NEVER spend money with them, NEVER recommend someone to buy anything from them, and would drive HOURS in a direction away from them to satisfy a need.

Please spend your money elsewhere.
I can't say how relieved I am that I'm not the only one. I've bought stuff from NWOR and my experiences with them mirror those who have had the same trouble.

It's catalogue and "superior quality" mantra is complete BS.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:10 AM

I HATE that I will have to get my headers from either them or Downey, just hate it! I can't believe somebody else, like Edelbrock or LC, hasn't started making them. There are a ton of place that make them for the 4.0 in my '94 Explorer, you'd think the Toyota 3.0 was popular enough for others to produce for, but I guess not.

I wonder if letting them know what a lousy reputation they have in the online community would make them change anything about how they do business.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by scott.475
I wonder if letting them know what a lousy reputation they have in the online community would make them change anything about how they do business.
People have told them Scott, and they just don't care. They figure that as long as they can sell stuff, and find numerous reasons for you to not return it when it a) breaks, b) doesn't work in the first place, c) is the wrong item, d) etc.. they'll stay in business.

It's a VERY interesting way to make a living. I can't believe that they can sleep easy at night.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by scott.475
I HATE that I will have to get my headers from either them or Downey, just hate it! I can't believe somebody else, like Edelbrock or LC, hasn't started making them. There are a ton of place that make them for the 4.0 in my '94 Explorer, you'd think the Toyota 3.0 was popular enough for others to produce for, but I guess not.

It's funny (like coincidental, not ha ha) that you mention that. Pacesetter made 3.0L V6 headers up until last year. They're discontinued now. Suppose it didn't sell too many of 'em. Even more funny (still not ha ha) is that the Nissan Hardbody/Pathfinder 3.0L headers are still in the '03 catalogue and readily available. Go figure.

Think if we badger Pacesetter a bit it'll dust off the tools for a few sets for us holder-outs?