Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A NON LIFT question about 315/75/16 MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A NON LIFT question about 315/75/16 MT

Well tax return season is right around the corner and I plan on adding quite a few goodies to the ole' runner. I've read alot of posts about lift clearance with a 35" tire but I have a few other concerns that havent really been adressed. Anyways:

I've got the 3" SS lift and a 2" 4 crawler lift on my 99 limited auto 3.4ltr. I'm currently running an aftermarket set of 16x8 wheels with a 4.5BS and a set of 1.25" spidertrax spacers. I know with a little bit more trimming and pounding I can tuck the 315/75/16 and still off road them with out any major rubbing. My question is what other accesories would those of you that have that size tire reccomend? I've read a few that have mentioned larger transmission cooler and possibly a power steering cooler?? What about the stock brakes, will they be alright with that size tire? And lastly if I keep the 1.25" spacer I shouldnt need to mess with my upper A arms, right?

I dont offroad much, honestly this car is my DD. It sees the offroad prolly 2-3 times a month, were ill climb around or trail ride. I dont tow anything regularly (owned the truck a year and a half and only used it to tow something twice). I don't see needing those accesories but I figure I'd ask the guys who have run this size tire

Also I WILL be regearing it to the recomended 4.88's. Anyone have a good place to pick up a set?

Thanks for the help,

Ryan
Old 12-22-2009, 04:24 PM

you should go 5.29's instead of 4.88's with 35's
Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crackiswack
you should go 5.29's instead of 4.88's with 35's
Yeah, I have 4.88s w/ 285s (33s) and would definitely go with 5.29s for 315s, no question about it. You should be just fine w/ the 1.25" spacers and 35s. Trans cooler is a great idea, not sure if you need a power steering cooler?? I think if I was to run 35s, I would do the Tundra brake upgrade because my runners brakes sucked when I was running 29s! They still suck, but pulling the ABS fuse helped a lot.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 AM

You pulled your ABS fuse?? So I'm not the only one that feels the ABS engauges prematurely? Were is it located? Also would 5.29's kill my power? I'm currently running the stock 4.30's (I have an elocker) with my 285/75/16 and the truck is gutless. I've thought about the tundra brake upgrade.

Were would be a good place to pick up the tundra brakes and 5.29 gears?
Old 12-23-2009, 06:58 AM

Brian is right about the brake upgrade....

I was having some overheating problems with my power steering when i would go off road so I extended the resevoir about 5-6 inches. Just cut it in half and weld in a section of tube....works great. Also, offroad when you air down, the tires dont rub nearly as much as when they are at street pressures (I run my Toyos at 8psi off road on 16"x8" rims with no problems).

Regear--Send them out to ZUK (www.gearinstalls.com)--he is anal and does a great job.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 AM

5.29s won't rob power, they'll restore power. For the Tundra brake parts, I would think the dealer would be best to get the parts from since you want OEM. For gears there's lots of places, it depends on if you want a pro install if if you want to do the work and just swap 3rd members.

The ABS fuse is in the main block under the hood. You have to unscrew the block 1st because the ABS fuse must be unscrewed itself from underneath. Still is a fast job and I like it way better. Mine would come on way to early!
Old 12-23-2009, 07:25 AM

lol i ment "will 5.29's rob gas milage" I was thinking about power and how my 4.30's rob my power on the 285's i have currently on the truck lol, my bad. since it is my DD Im ok with a drop in MPG's but I dont want it to turn into 10mpg highway god lol.

Well I have a local speed shop that always does my work, when I cant figure it out. I just would want the gears and prolly have them install the gears for me. Have any recomendations on good sites? I really wouldnt want to have to wait with shipping times and all on sending my diffs out. When you say "3rd members" are you talking about the gear or gears I will replace to give my truck a 5.29 ratio?

Guess I'll be pulling that ABS fuse out here shortly lol.

Last edited by Punch; 12-23-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
the 5.29 gear set will put your engine back in the proper power band, make it easy for your engine to work...not lug it.

you are considering putting on bigger tires, putting your truck higher into the wind etc... I have been driving modified toyota trucks for 20+ years none of them were mileage champs.

definitely upgrade your brakes...

and somebody already recommnded the best place for toyota thirds..Zuk he is the master-gearinstalls.com

or Scotty at Addicted off Road. Just a heads up-I spent almost $600 just for the gears and master install kits--solid pinion sleeve, don't mess with a crush sleeve.

if you pull the thirds figure $150-250 a third. If you have someone pull them...multiple that by 3 or 4x's. Take a look under your truck, it is the removeable part on the rear end hooked to the driveshaft, in your case the elocker motor will be on the DS.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I run a transmission and power steering cooler. They are easy to install and cheap. I did it just cause I thought it might help. Not sure though if they do anything or not. My steering rack is pretty much toast right now. It leaks, makes weird noises and whatnot.

I'd probably just make sure your ball joints, and bushings were up to date. Don't get the poly sets. You can get the poly steering rack bushings though...as they work good.

Brakes are fine IMO....never have a problem stopping on a dime. I still run 4.30 stock gears and I don't really have any problems. Id probably go to 4.88's if I had to. Most Tacoma guys with a SA conversion still use 4.88's with 37's.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

FWIW...my 315/75s and 4.88s run just fine together.

I agree with SC4Runner...the tranny and power steering coolers are cheap insurance.

I still have the stock brake setup and have had no problems. I just do regular maintenance and make sure everything is adjusted properly. To date, I personally haven't felt the need to change over to Tundra brakes.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:52 AM

They say lower gears will also help restore mpgs, but I haven't noticed much of a difference w/ mine - not worse than before though.

3rd members are basically the diff itself, just out of the rest of the housing. At places like eastcoastgearsupply.com, you can choose what gears you want installed in a new 3rd, add a locker (optional). The 3rd will arrive, you swap them, then you send your old one back to them in the same box for a core. The gears are already set up, so all you do is r&R the 3rd - much easier to DIY than a gear install/setup.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:02 AM

I feel like im getting over my head now lol.

Ok so this Zuk guy, I'm assuming I would have to remove my front and rear diffs and send them to him. Unfortuantaly I'm at work (Air Force) for a 12 hour day today and his site is blocked. How difficult it it to remove my diffs? What kind of price (parts/labor) would I be looking at for Zuk to change the gear in my diffs?

My front rotors are warped so I plan on changing them out with the larger of two tundra rotor/caliper combos (231mm i believe).

ocdropzone: Whats the difference between a "crush sleeve" and a "pinion sleeve"?

SC4Runner: Since my runner is an auto, I assumed I already had a trans cooler? If not were did you buy your trans and powersteering cooler?

Thanks for all the help guys,

Ryan
Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lower gears will restore MPG in city driving, or low speed driving.

I like that eastcoastgearsupply.com place. Pretty cool if you don't have a reputable gear shop around you.

Same with Bighead, I haven't had the desire to upgrade to Tundra rotors/calipers. I honestly think the increase braking force is negligible. The real benefit is the decreased frequency of warped rotors.

Another thing I forgot to mention is upgraded axle shafts. I have broken the rear axle shaft, something that you rarely read about on these forums or hear from other Tacoma/3rd gen owners.

I got my trans cooler from summitracing. Its made by Hayden. Of course I can't remember the # on it, but its what everyone else uses. Should be found with a search on here.

Last edited by BajaRunner; 12-23-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
They say lower gears will also help restore mpgs, but I haven't noticed much of a difference w/ mine - not worse than before though.

3rd members are basically the diff itself, just out of the rest of the housing. At places like eastcoastgearsupply.com, you can choose what gears you want installed in a new 3rd, add a locker (optional). The 3rd will arrive, you swap them, then you send your old one back to them in the same box for a core. The gears are already set up, so all you do is r&R the 3rd - much easier to DIY than a gear install/setup.
You can have them install a locker?? I'm already e-locked in the rear i was considering doing one up front. Would it be another e-locker up front or would it be an air locker?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:55 AM

You can choose from a few different brands and I think an elocker might be an option, but you'd have to call them and ask.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
I like that eastcoastgearsupply.com place. Pretty cool if you don't have a reputable gear shop around you.
I had both mine built by Inchworm.

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
I got my trans cooler from summitracing. Its made by Hayden. Of course I can't remember the # on it, but its what everyone else uses. Should be found with a search on here.
I have the TRD transmission cooler and a power steering cooler from Summit. I can't find the part number but it was the one recommended to me by Sonoran Steel Steve.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:37 AM

inchworm is another good shop to have your gears rebuilt by.

Also--i would be very apprehensive about locking the front if you are going to be running 35's. Just me though--i locked the rear and left the front open.....

but it still climbs like a mountian goat.--then again my rear suspension was modded to a true trigulated rear.....that is another thing to look at also if you are serious.

Honestly--if you see your build going beyond what you are about to do--i would consider sitting down and drawing out a plan of where you want to be. Cant tell you how much money i have wasted building one thing or another and then upgrading......or rebuilding it......02$
Old 12-23-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so i got a quick off-topic question...

i seen somebody said that 5.29's and 35's would help with low speed driving, and town driving....does this mean out on the highway it won't make much of a difference????

i have a '92 4runner 3.0 5speed if that makes that much of a difference.

i don't NEED 35's, but it would surely help in a lot of situations.

i have 33's and stock 4.56's right now, and im sure the highway mpg's are not good lol..all i want, is to be above 15mpg's on the highway..and i'll stick to 33's for a pretty good while
Old 12-24-2009, 04:19 AM

So do our Automatic Trans 4runners already have a trans cooler?

Originally Posted by hross14
Also--i would be very apprehensive about locking the front if you are going to be running 35's. Just me though--i locked the rear and left the front open.....
Why would you recomend against locking the front with 35's? I'm E-locked in the rear and I would figure having the option to lock the front would give me that much more traction when climing off road.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:53 AM

35s are harder to push, more heat generated, so an aux. trans cooler will help. 35s will put a lot more pressure on the axles and a locker will put a lot more still. Our CVs can only take so much before they give.