Old 07-22-2002, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Toyota SUV's

This is from Auto Week

Toyota considering adding several more sport-utility variations to lineup

By MARK RECHTIN
Automotive News

GLENEDEN BEACH, Ore. — Already armed with five sport-utilities, Toyota Division is considering adding several more.

Jim Press, executive vice president of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., said the automaker is studying several sport-utility variations, including:

1. A body-on-frame sport-utility positioned below the 4Runner.

2. An off-road vehicle smaller than the RAV4, likely derived from the Matrix/Corolla platform.

3. A vehicle similar to the Chevrolet Avalanche.

The 4Runner has moved upward significantly in price with the elimination of its four-cylinder version. A base two-wheel-drive 4Runner SR5 lists for $26,845, including freight charges.

But the redesigned 4Runner, due this fall, will move further upmarket and will offer six- and eight-cylinder engines. Pricing should increase commensurately.

That opens up significant territory under it in turf where the Nissan Xterra competes in four- and six-cylinder trim. The smaller Toyota vehicle likely would use the Toyota Hi-Lux platform, although it could use a shrunken version of the new 4Runner platform as well.

“There is no end to the number of SUV cues you can have,” Press said in an interview here at the media introduction of the 2003 4Runner. “We don’t see people going from SUVs back to sedans because they don’t have the same image and feeling.”

Press predicted Toyota would venture into lower volume off-road niche vehicles as well.

“Cells of customers are attracted to specific products, as opposed to products that are one-size-fits-all,” he said. “That’s why Xterra is doing so well.”

Toyota already has shown its idea for an off-roader below the RAV4. At the 2001 Chicago Auto Show, it displayed the RSC concept, although Press said a production vehicle likely would have more in common with the Matrix than the Celica that the concept mimicked.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

I've seen that RSC, and man is it sweet! Unfortunately, it sounds like the 4Runner is getting bounced around and will eventually be phased out just like the LC (hope not!). It's good to see that they keep the off-roader's interests in mind though and that everyone wants something specific, rather than "one size fits all."
Old 07-22-2002, 07:20 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Very good find HBum.
I find it funny too how I have been saying all along for over a year now the 2003 4Runner would have a V8 as an option, and folk's told me I was nuts.

I wonder what the Xterra type rig will be called?
It has done great in sales because of it's no non sence approach to a rig that can get out and play hard.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:50 AM

Are there any sites that link to pics of this new 4runner? I don't think they will Phase out the 4runner anytime soon, I mean look on the road at the number of 4runners on the road there are a bunch. I don't see them phasing out one of the most popular suv's on the road.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:52 AM

Can't wait to see what they look like. That is great that they are getting some new models, but are also sticking with the oldie goodie ones! Can't wait...oh what technology can do! :fireman:
Old 07-22-2002, 08:35 AM

When it's time to buy another S.U.V. I'm certainly game for another 4Runner, but the other strong contender for me is the Nissan Xterra. I love the way it looks and drives, and it's focused on people who like to get outdoors. Whether camping or off-roading I'm sure it would be a fine vehicle.

For the time being I plan on driving my 4Runner until 2006 or 2007 at least, barring any major mechanical problems (knock on wood). I've never been happier with a vehicle and hope this one will last me a long time. I want 300,000 km out of it!!
Old 07-22-2002, 08:44 AM

i hope they dont cut the 4runner because it's actually one of the few SUV's you can take off roading!!! not to mention it looks nice on the street...hehe
Old 07-22-2002, 09:02 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally posted by ChitRod
Are there any sites that link to pics of this new 4runner? I don't think they will Phase out the 4runner anytime soon, I mean look on the road at the number of 4runners on the road there are a bunch. I don't see them phasing out one of the most popular suv's on the road.

Yeahs, its called www.lexus.com ; GX470..

Old 07-22-2002, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HBoss
When it's time to buy another S.U.V. I'm certainly game for another 4Runner, but the other strong contender for me is the Nissan Xterra.
I am a die-hard Toyota guy, but if they keep it up, my next rig will be an Xterra. The move to rack & pinion steering was bad enough, but rumor has it the 2002 4Runner is 1" lower than the 2001, the rear locker is gone and you can't buy a friggen 5 speed! All for the meager price of $33k!

Buy an Xterra and you get a very capable package for $23k. If Nissan ever does slap the 250 hp 3.5L V6 in there and especially if they put those Eaton e-lockers into production, I'm there.

The rest are located here.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:47 PM

I really like the Xterras because they come with a stock supercharger! But I am going to stick with Toyota! :fireman:
Old 07-22-2002, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

I was a little disappointed that Toyota decided to drop the 5 speed in 2001. The 4Runner, like the Land Cruiser after the FJ-60, is becoming more and more of a luxury vechicle (which will be clearly evident if the 4th Gen is based on the Lexus).

I wish Toyota would come out with a "Wilderness" version of the 4Runner---optional five speed, rubber floor liners instead of carpet, manual locking hubs, locking diff, rock sliders, non-painted fender flares, 31x10.5" standard tires, etc.

It's apparent to me from the people on Yotatech alone that there would be enough buyers of a factory made off road vehicle!
Old 07-22-2002, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy

I would love to get a newer 4Runner but with the prices constantly going up, there is no way I can afford one. The vehicle has to be almost 5 years old for me to be able to buy one. So that means I have to wait until 2008 to buy a 4th Gen 4Runner. The Xterras do look good and my wife also likes the look of them and I could afford one that is only 2 years old. But I will keep my 4Runner for at least 2 more years. Hopefully it won't cause me any problems. After all it only has 96,000 miles on it.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:34 PM

I think it will last ya fine. A buddy of mine has a 1988 Honda Accord that's gone 196,000 miles and still runs great. I'm sure the 4Runner can outlast it.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Paul H.
But I will keep my 4Runner for at least 2 more years. Hopefully it won't cause me any problems. After all it only has 96,000 miles on it.
It's just getting broken in! :fireman:
Old 07-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

I bought mine new in '91, and I now have 156K on it. I was going to get rid of it until I came across Corey's web site. A few mods now and then and it's like a new vehicle! I expect to get 300+K on the engine, so I guess that means I'll have it for another 11 years.

Besides, now when I take it off road, I don't get too upset with a scratch or two (it blends in with all the others accrued over the past 11 years).
Old 07-22-2002, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And I was upset when they quit inporting the FJ40! Still haven't forgiven them for that....Still driving my 71
Old 07-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

You're not kidding about the FJ-40! I made the mistake of leasing a 2001 Mitsubishi Monterro instead of following my heart and getting a '79 FJ-40. After my lease is up in a couple years, I'll start the hunt again for an FJ-40.

Check out the link below. Looks like Jeep has been listening to the folks that like to drive off the pavement.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/j...view/index.asp
Old 07-23-2002, 08:17 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Wish you could buy this now?

Look at the price on this when new :eek:
Corey

Old 07-23-2002, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by richeyma
You're not kidding about the FJ-40! I made the mistake of leasing a 2001 Mitsubishi Monterro instead of following my heart and getting a '79 FJ-40. After my lease is up in a couple years, I'll start the hunt again for an FJ-40.

Check out the link below. Looks like Jeep has been listening to the folks that like to drive off the pavement.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/j...view/index.asp
I wonder what the price tag is.

I believe I heard somewhere that they changed the tail stock on the transfer case so it doesn't drain when you pull the drive shaft.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:53 AM

Late to the party, but...

I may be late to the party (insert welcome to last week image here) but did you see the Retro Land Cruiser concept truck :eek:

That is pretty F'n cool.

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/look...onceptcar.html

Quick Reply: New Toyota SUV's