Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New front suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New front suspension problem

a few months ago I installed a SS #7 lift. I am now gettiing a squeak out of the front end. So the other day I got fed up and started searching for what was making the noise. First thing I checked was the top bolt on the shock. its tight, but I noticed that the whole assembly is rubbing against the housing with the three bolt holes for the whole strut assembly. I shook the truck a little and sure enough that is what is squeaking. I then put a wrench in between the shock bolt and ont of the three outer mount bolts and pryed on it and it shifted back to center. and sure enough No more squeak. Problem is the shock assembly is somehow loose inside of the mounts so it just goes back to being offset and rubbing again. The thing is I cannot find a diagram breakdown to show how this thing could be flexing like this. Something is wrong/broken but I can't quite find what it could be. Maybe I just need to wrench that bolt down tighter?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:13 PM

Anyone?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 AM

I just finished my suspension upgrade to a similiar setup like the SS#7. Did you replace all the upper bushings on the shock mount with new ones, I remember asking steve if his system came with new upper bushings and he said no. That might be your problem if you say your top nut is on tight. You also might need new top and bottom washers.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 PM

I amazed you can move it so much. Here is a diagram on assembly:
http://www.top4runners.com/cgi-bin/i...bils/fsm_1.jpg

from here:
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/bils.html

see if you did something different

Last edited by Roadtripr; 09-24-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:43 PM

hard to tell from your description but it sounds like your upper strut mounts are toast.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:37 PM

A picture would help out this messageboard analyzing your problem.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:06 PM

Roadtripr: That diagram is what I was looking for, thank you.

I just got the upper and lower retainers as well as the cushion for both sides from the stealership so I am going to install those soon.

So using the diagram as referance, the shock is able to shift around enough inside the suspension support for the upper retainer to rub on the bracket that the suspension support mounts into. That is causing my mousy squeak.

I am not for sure but I am contemplating the idea that I might have also installed the bottom retainers above the suspension supports instead of below. I don't think I am that big of a knucklehead but I guess it is possible.

I am also getting some spring rattle out of the front so I am guessing that the upper cushion is going out enough to no longer be able to hold the shock tight enough to to keep the spring from rattling. Is this a logical conclusion or could there be more wrong?

Another question: When I go over really large abrubt bumps I also get a much more pronounced clunk, I am thinking this is also the springs, but it deffinately sounds a lot heavier than I would like to think springs could make. Guessing I will have to fix the springs and then wait and see if that solves the problem. So the question... what other bushing can go bad in the front end? Is there a complete polymer bushing kit to replace every bushing on the whole damn truck or do I have to buy multiple kits to achieve that.

Thanks for the quick replies.

-Me-
Old 06-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My guess is you installed the two upper shock mount bushings incorrectly or that nut needs to be torqued down more. I'm sure it makes quite a bit of noise over bumps if it moves at all.

When you jack the truck up and the suspension hangs at full droop, does the upper part of the steering spindle assembly contact the spring at all? I only had like 1/64" clearance when I first installed mine and I could hear it contacting when turning the steering wheel. The clearance was fine when sitting on the ground.

Be VERY carefull when removing that assembly, as well as taking it apart. If anything is damaged who knows what or when it will let go.

Last edited by toy_tek; 06-15-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 PM

While you under your truck. Check if the sway bar bushings are getting loose/worn. Same could go for steering bushings. Yes replacement kits exist or you could pick up oem parts at the dealer.