Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

my 4 runner got wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say you let the insurance fix it right. The premium will increase by 10% for three years. Calculate what that will be and thats what he pays. and hopefully there was a lesson learned here somewhere

borrow my girl .. no problem ... borrow my truck ... hell no
Old 07-22-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a soft top with a window in the middle, for the winter or when its cold or raining. Works very well.... Made outta touenna (sp?) Cover material.
Takes about 2 minutes to button on and off.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:41 AM

It already had some dents but no where near what it has in it now.
I know someone that works for a body shop he told me as long as I got the paint for it he would shoot at on a weekend at a low cost he didn't say how much but it wouldn't be alot. Just a update the pillar isn't that bad so I think the backdoor we picked up from the salvage yard is tweaked somehow so I guess we will be returning it for another one.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:32 PM

I say you let the insurance fix it right
He said he does not have full coverage, so insurance will not pay.

I say, make him fix it. He wrecked it, its his responsibility. If he wont, sue him to pay for the damages. If he forces you to, he isnt much of a friend is he?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by sdastg1
I say you let the insurance fix it right. The premium will increase by 10% for three years. Calculate what that will be and thats what he pays. and hopefully there was a lesson learned here somewhere
Will insurance cover that since he was off roading?

I thought insurance companies will not cover repairs if you take a vehicle onto a a frozen lake when you ice fish. If it falls through the ice, your SOL I heard. :pat:
Old 07-22-2004, 08:09 PM

Some pics:

The back half of the panel still pretty crinkled

Some pics of the doors I took off

New doors and glass installed trying so sand and prep them for primer I still have to fix the back panel.

Last edited by 934rnr; 07-22-2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

OWCH! :pat:
Old 07-23-2004, 03:30 AM

What sort of friend would wheel your truck when you are out of town and without permission? Don't trust him again.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:49 AM
lee
Contributing Member

jeez. that looks pretty bad man.

why dont you have your insurance cover it if his doesnt? then you can have him pay the cost of the upped premium, as sadstg said.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:49 AM

Yes it is concidering this is how that side used to look before it got wrecked...

I just got off the phone with geico they told me it would be on his insurance if he had full coverage and that mine will not cover the repairs since I only have liability so basically I am screwed and have to have him repair it.

Last edited by 934rnr; 07-23-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:05 AM

I would be on fire. No one drives my truck. I don't even let people work on it. I do all the repairs. That sucks what he did. Anyone who would borrow my rig, wheel it and wreck it like that would be no friend of mine after.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

That is more than just a little fender bender, opps I hit a rock on the trail accident.

Looks like he was trying to see what your baby would do. Not just a leisurely drive through the wilderness.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:30 AM

Now that I've seen it I've changed my mind. Damn, sorry dude. I think you should get full coverage and wait a few days, then claim it. Let your friend pay the difference if your premium goes up. You should probably have full coverage anyway if you're off-roading, just in case things like this happen.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:56 AM

I know everyone has a different point of view, especially as we don't know your 'friend' and you and your relationship...however.....

If I ever borrow anything from anyone I am prepared to pay the cost, whatever it would be, if I damaged or lost it.

This is especially the case of sport gear like surfboards, ski boats etc.

A car is no different. Your friend, with your insistance if necessary, needs to get the rig back to its previous condition. Sure the panel mught have already had a dent in it and you might not be in the position to have repaired it presently and now you might be stuck with having to. This becomes his loss not yours!

If I were you, I'd collect a series of photos showing before, after and present condition. Also write a brief explanation of what happened and get him to sign to its accuracy. Then write-up what he's going to do to get it back to its original condition, including any 'sharing of costs' you decide you are willing to put into it. Both of you sign off on this too. You can include on the writeup that you will not be taking him to court or using any form of insurance and that you agree for him to restore it to its original condition. Remember though, that by doing this, you are indicating that you feel he has the reasonable skills to get it back to the original condition. I think it would be unreasonable for you to complain after he spent hours doing the work and it still wasn't what you were expecting and this is due to the fact that he really didn't have the skills to get it back to original condition.

By sitting down with him and discussing it and then maturely recording everything in print, I hope you will get your rig back to its original condition.

Good luck, and I feel you pain!

Friends and family :pat:
Old 07-23-2004, 08:29 PM

It's starting to look like he actually rolled it on it's side not on a tree like he said previously. I am going to ask him tomorrow if he did flop it on the side of a hill because it is looking like that's what really happened. Sucks I had put it up for sale for about $4000 a few weeks back I'll be lucky if I get $1500-2000 in the shape it is in now.

Last edited by 934rnr; 07-23-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by havic
Now that I've seen it I've changed my mind. Damn, sorry dude. I think you should get full coverage and wait a few days, then claim it. Let your friend pay the difference if your premium goes up. You should probably have full coverage anyway if you're off-roading, just in case things like this happen.
First of all, that's insurance fraud. They'll nail your balls to a tree if you try that.

Second of all, I doubt the insurance will cover offroading incidents anyway. And for something like that you'll need an accident report or something from the cops.

I'd say the OP is screwed. If he can't get that car made whole, he'll have to sue his friend in small claims court. Either way it sounds like the friendship may be over.

Geez... wheeling a borrowed car. Now that's an Einstein move if I ever heard one.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Banned

Dude, you've got sliders. Also, look how far your tires stick out to protect the body from "trees". That wasn't a tree. That was a flop. All body panels are dented and all glass broken... Put two and two together and you get a soft roll on an off camber grade.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
Dude, you've got sliders. Also, look how far your tires stick out to protect the body from "trees". That wasn't a tree. That was a flop. All body panels are dented and all glass broken... Put two and two together and you get a soft roll on an off camber grade.
He claimed it was very offcamber when he hit the tree but why in the hell would you keep dragging it down the side of it? He told me he wants to show me where it happened to prove he wasn't lying about it. I guess whatever it still doesn't change anything the vehicle is still ˟˟˟˟ed up.
He did put the doors back together so that part is done sort of it is primered he is putting the panels back on and supposedly pulling the rear dents out of it.
I left him a can on bondo filler that I had left over from another vehicle I had since he was complaining he had run out of money to buy things.
So I am looking at him putting it togther so I can drive it for now until he has the money for the paint so I can take it over and have my friend paint it at the bodyshop.

Last edited by 934rnr; 07-25-2004 at 06:17 AM.