Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Muffler and tailpipe Replacement-Walker

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler and tailpipe Replacement-Walker

2001 4runner
I started my muffler and tailpipe replacement this evening. It took me about an hour to remove the old tailpipe and muffler. Unfortunately the area where the tailpipe meets the muffler had rusted so badly that the gasket had blown out and there was no way to remove the tailpipe from the muffler. Even if i had been able to just replace the tailpipe, it probably would not have sealed due to the corrosion on the flange.
Anyway, after using my grinder, sawzaw, and then my impact hammer, everything came loose without damage to the main pipe with the cat. I will install the walker muffler and new tailpipe tomorrow afternoon and report back.

I was very surprised that the 4runner was not extremely loud without the muffler. It simply sounds like a sport muffler. I would have loved it when i was 16.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler and new tailpipe are installed and i am impressed. The WALKER muffler sounds just like the stock unit. The hooks for the mounts were slightly off, but not a big deal. The muffler still hangs in the correct position. it is actually slightly smaller than the original muffler, which is nice.
The one issue i ran into was that the flange was slightly to small inside of the muffler where it connects to the catalytic converter pipe(front pipe). I had to take a hammer to the front pipe, there is a 1/2-3/4 inch section that hangs out past the flange, and bevel it so that the new muffler would slide on.
I purchased my Walker muffler off of ebay for 124.95 plus 11.95 shipping. You can search for part number 54681 if you wish to find it. I purchased my new tailpipe off of amazon for about 60.00 shipped. So, for just around 200.00, i have a new muffler and tailpipe that sound like the stock just like the stock unit.
If you dont have the right tools to remove the rusted muffler and tailpipe, you will be in for a treat. I had to use my grinder to cut the head off the bolt and the nuts off. Then i had to use my impact hammer to beat the bolt back through the flange. The muffler to tailpipe connection was hopeless, so i used my sawzaw to cut the pipe in half just past the flange. Then, i could not get the muffler metal hangers off of the rubber grommets, so i had to use the sawzaw again to cut those rods loose from the muffler