Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Metal particles on transmission dipstick/fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Metal particles on transmission dipstick/fluid

Just changed my fluid and put in the recommended 2.1 qts, then drove 2 hours to/from a party. I noticed it felt like it was low on fluid, so I took it easy and added some when I got home...long story short.... looks like I should have added close to 4 quarts like everyone else has said on here (should have checked on here before going to the party, but who knew the Toyota shpo manual would be wrong. )

Anyway, before and after adding the right amount of fluid, I'm seeing little metal particles on the rag when checked the trans fluid level. I never noticed this before, but I never really paid much attention when checking the fluid level before. I actually dropped the pan and put in a new filter/screen, too, so it shouldn't be coming from there. I was meticulous when cleaning things, too.

Q1: I assume this is NOT normal? Do you think it's from being low on fluid? My gut is telling me to change the fluid again...

Q2: Saw somewhere where the HOT fluid level is only accurate after extended driving. How long is extended? 1 hour+?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Definitely never drive a vehicle after a fluid change without checking a dipstick.

I would pull that pan again and see what is ont he magnets. Was there any metal on the magnets when you pulled the pan??

If there is metal in that fluid all of a sudden, then it definitely could have been you being low on fluid. I dont know if the two quarts low is enough for the pump to be out of the fluid and not pumping anything through the tranny.

Keep your fingers crossed and check that thing out ASAP>
Old 04-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you check the tranny fluid on level ground and with the engine running?
Pulling the pan will take at least 4 qts to refill back to normal levels.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by gpcollen1
Definitely never drive a vehicle after a fluid change without checking a dipstick.

I would pull that pan again and see what is ont he magnets. Was there any metal on the magnets when you pulled the pan??

If there is metal in that fluid all of a sudden, then it definitely could have been you being low on fluid. I dont know if the two quarts low is enough for the pump to be out of the fluid and not pumping anything through the tranny.

Keep your fingers crossed and check that thing out ASAP>
I didn't see the need to check the level since BOTH the shop manual and the owner's manual said the same thing, 2.1 qts.

There was some tiny tiny metal particles on the magnets in the pan when I dropped it, typical of what you normally see when you drop the pan...no chunks, etc. These are similar to what I see on the dipstick. Very small particles - you would miss them if you weren't looking hard enough.

The truck was driving fine, just at a couple stop signs it would pause, I assume b/c the fluid was low.

I just got back from getting more fluid, so I'm going to drain it again. I really don't want to drop the pan right now. Hoping the new fluid will fix things. If not, maybe I will flush again. Anything to drop the pan at this point.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Just out of curiosity, did you check the tranny fluid on level ground and with the engine running?
Pulling the pan will take at least 4 qts to refill back to normal levels.
Yes, the fluid was checked after I got home from the party on level ground with the engine running.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:19 PM

OK...

Drained the old ATF out, but while it was coming out, I stuck a magnet underneath to see if any particles came out in the fluid. The magnet was pretty clean.

I refilled the trans with 4 qts of ATF and checked the level, etc. Particles appear to be gone.

I wonder if the particles were from me inserting/removing the dipstick? My dipstick is incredibly hard to put in/out (no flames please...lol). It's hard enough that I wouldn't be surprised if some metal shavings came off in the process.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same thing and only added 2.1 quarts of fluid last fall, added some more after it overheated a few hours after driving with it low...... i drained the pan and replaced the filter in Feb and have not had any problems so I think you'll be ok, our transmissions are pretty tough
Old 04-16-2007, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm seriously thinking it might have been something with the stupid dipstick...stupid design.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:04 AM

yeah i get 5 qts out of mine when i drain.. you can possibly get more if you just let it drain over night. but measure out what came out and put the same back in..