Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Maglite Holder...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maglite Holder...

Well, I was thinking about it and I think that I want to go with the maglite holder for my rig. I have an el cheapo flashlight in there now, but I want something brighter. But I was going to mount it to the back of the rear seats, near the wheel well. My questions are many. First, has anyone done this there and will the brackets hold, meaning is there something there for the screws to grab onto. Secondly, beings as the seats have a weird angle, will the light fall out of the brackets or do they hold pretty well and tight and they won't fall out? Lastly, is there a certain size maglight that it will hold. I know it will be D-cell, but how many batteries is the max? I appreciate the help and can't wait to see this. I just hope it fits
Old 07-03-2002, 03:17 PM

sorry, hit the enter button....

...good back there. Thanks again! :fireman:
Old 07-03-2002, 03:33 PM

Hey Ryan,

I have never tried in that spot, but I would recommend under the front passenger seat. In my opinion it's too inaccessible in the back and it is nicely out of the way in the front. My passengers don't even realize it's there unless I tell them and you can get it any time in a second.

The clips are very strong and hold a full size Maglite (which I believe is 4 D cells, like the cops use). It all depends on how you mount the clips. If you plan on getting a full size Maglite, buy it and place your clips so it holds the Lite in place evenly.

The front seats have metal bars that you can drill into as well. My Maglite mount (sorry if the pics are large):

Just my 2 bits...

Al

Last edited by HBoss; 07-03-2002 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the help Al. I guess another way of asking it would be this: do you feel is you put the clips on the roof, would it hold a maglite in place, or do you think that it would fall off? Just wondering! I appreciate the help! I am not sure if it will fit up on the front seats, because my 2nd gen does not seem to have as much of an are like that, it is closer to the floor boards. Thanks again! :fireman:
Old 07-03-2002, 03:48 PM

The clips are quite strong. I would be confident in saying it would hold however I'm no expert. If you mount it on the roof you should use some sort of locking clips. One you could wrap around the Maglite and clamp it down.

Honestly though, I wouldn't recommend up there, especially near your head If you hit a large bump, curb or take it off-road it 'might' be fine...but you never know.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:53 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ryan, I would not screw the clips into the flexible material of the roof.
Now if you are talking about the plastic on the sides of the roof, then it might work.

I like where I have mine on the floor mat as it's very easy to get to.
And yes, the clips hold the light very strong.

Also on your post where you hit the enter button? That is easy to fix. All you have to do is go back to your post and click on the button.

That will take you to your post and you can add to it, fix a speeeling mistake, ect.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:55 PM

where did you guys get the maglight clips?? thanks
Old 07-03-2002, 04:03 PM

Well, I actually have the clips at work. I work at a lumber/hardware store. I would also think that they are at Walmart or any other store like that.

I don't think I am going to mount it to the roof, I was just wondering if it would hold, so I could mount them on the rear of the seats, which are on a negative angle and the light would be kinda hanging slightly. That is why I asked. I just checked that area out and I think that is where I am going to mount it. I do carry people in my rig quite often, so I think that it might get kicked. We'll see what happens! :fireman:
Old 07-03-2002, 04:12 PM

Any G.I.Joe's store, army surplus or gun shop should carry them. It's about $10 for the kit which includes the clips and colored lenses for the Maglite.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:45 AM

Maybe another dumb ?, but what is the difference between the mag-lites. I am going to get a D-cell, but what is the difference between the 2-D and the 6-D and in between? Is the candlepower more, or does it just last longer? Which is a good one to get? Thanks! :fireman:
Old 07-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I do beleive all the D cell ones are the same output of light. They just last longer with more batteries, but I could be wrong.
I don't really see any info on their website about it.

I have the 4 D cell one, and like it very much.
To compare the size, the 4 D cell one I have is the middle of the five below. It fits perfect on my floormat and is out of the way entirely.

My next one will probably be the 5 cell rechargable one

Be sure to check out their homie.
Click on the Anatomy section also to learn about the different features of the D cell lites plus their entire line.
I just learned something from the Anatomy section. It says the D cell ones have a switch position to make them flash on and off as a signal.
I don't beleive mine has that. Mine is a few years old, I will have to look at mine.
It's probably an updated feature.
Corey
Old 07-04-2002, 12:20 PM

Yeah, I did check out their site. Pretty cool. That is a pretty cool feature, the signal switch. I guess what I will have to do is go and measure how big I can get and buy the one that fits there. I think I am going to wait until I get back from me trip to do so, but I will and can't wait, seems like a pretty cool thing to do, so you have a light when you need it. Thanks for the help! :fireman:
Old 07-05-2002, 03:56 AM
Contributing Member

Ryan the bigger cell light you get will 1) Be brighter and 2) Hurt a hell of lot worse when you swack the guy upside the head that's trying to jack your runner..LOL. Here's how I mounted mine and it works great. Passengers don't know it's there and it's easily accessible. Maglite mount
When you going to get your Carbon Fiber?
Old 07-07-2002, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Ryan, I was at a Home Depot store in Atlanta in March and they had the brackets there.

Luke
Old 07-07-2002, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The more batteries, the more voltage to the light. I have a 4 cell maglight. I also purchased a rubber sleave to go around the body of it (got it from my Snap-On tool man, but it wasn't a Snap-On tool). I stop at most accidents to help out, and if it is raining or freezing the maglight is hard to hold. It is a ribbed rubber tube that sleeves the body and provides a texture to hold on to and insulates so the aluminum doesn't pull the heat out of your hand when its freezing out side.

Also, anyone know where to get one of the "traffic directing" cone that snaps onto the flashlight? We had them in the military for directing aircraft, I've seen them for those yellow plastic 2 cell lights, but not for a maglight? You would think since the police use the mag, they would be avail somewhere.

Last edited by Yoda; 07-07-2002 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:47 PM

Corey

The signal feature on the switch is I believe that you can gently depress it on and off without it clicking and staying on

Dave

They do make a traffic wand for the Mag Light, it will fit any D Cell Mag.

I have a Brinkman 3D at home (a bonus from a company I made a large purchase from) and a 4D Mag Light in my truck that I have had since I was 18 (14 years).

I stand by the Mag as it has been to hell and back and come through with only minor scrapes and one broken lens. The clips on the other hand keep breaking on me and I have yet to solve that one but I believe it may be vibration in the current mounting location that is causing it.