Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

lsd swap from a supra into a 2wd yota

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lsd swap from a supra into a 2wd yota

hey everyone. i dont have a rock crwaler but i was told this was a good place to ask this question. i have a 93 yota pickup standard cab. i'm not to satisfied knowing i dont have equal power being distributed to both wheels. So i other words i want both wheels spinning if i were to burnout. i heard that you could take the lsd from an older supra and replace the truck's rear with that. what year supra should i look for? Is the ratio much different? Will it just bolt in or will i have difficulties putting it in? How much should i be looking to spend for a used rear? Are they reliable when i comes to swapping them in or will it not last too long? Thanx alot!!

Last edited by bart3lz; 01-13-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:38 PM

I have heard from reliable sources that the lsd from a mk111 supra will work as long as you have an 8" rear on your truck. located in your drivers door jam is a wight vin sticker with the rear end code, mine is g382, this designates (g=8") (38=342) (2=2pinion no lsd) http://www.celicasupra.com/othercodes2.htm so if yours starts with a g all you need is the rear diff from a mk11 supra (86.5-92) . if you have a 7.5" rear. you need an to get 8" truck rear, not 4runner it has diffrent suspension mounts.
when you go to get the supra rear you can check the sticker in the door jam to get the gear ratio provided the rear end is still in the car. so if you want you can use the supra gears or your stock gears but your gonna need a kit that has new shims and some othe seals http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/gear_setup/ i would recomend haveing a profesional do the install. I paid $100 for my supra rear. i think 100-150 is about the going rate but try to find 1 thats a 4 pinion it will be stronger than the 2 pinion. if profesionaly install and gear oil changed as recomended it should last as long as the truck. i would expect to pay about $400 to have it installed. maybe some of the 4x4 guys could verify the install price.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:03 PM

whats the difference between 2 pinion and 4 and how could i tell if what is what, all by the door jam sticker? would it be worth the work to put the original gears in it or to leave the supra ones in. what did you do. i would most liely be able to do it in my autoshop class. my teacher worked for bmw for like 20 years and he pretty much knows everything and anything on how to put anything in.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

honestly, all but the expensive auburn lsds suck... they slip... they are better than an open diff, but nothing can replace a locker...
Old 01-13-2005, 07:21 PM

excuse my ignorance but what the heck is a locker. is it installed in a normal non lsd rear?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

it replaces the spider gears,,, lsd units slip at some pressure..... an locker when engaged will make the left and right wheels spin @ exactly the same speed... it disengages for turns and differentiation
Old 01-13-2005, 07:29 PM

so it does the same thing as a posi? how much are these? im not looking to spend too much. do they take much work to put in or is it a simple bolt in?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:58 PM

i read up on lockers and found a tech article about the detroit ez locker. i dont think this is what im looking for. he said that when he turned and gav eit a little gas the inner tire would spin and while going through a turn in idle speed you could feel backlash from the locker engaging. i may be wrong but i beleive that is different from an lsd where the axles spin at different rates during turns instead of being locked all the time.

Last edited by bart3lz; 01-13-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:05 PM

you should see what you have now, so I or other members can help you better, there aren't as many options for a 7.5" rear wich came standered on 2wd except turbo and v6 models, also did you read the article in my original post? http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/gear_setup/ It should have cleared up alot of your questions. also lsd use friction disks or clutches and can slip under extreme conditions like rock crawling or mudding but, my logic is toyota though this rear end was good enough to handle 260hp from the turbo supra should be good enough for your 2wd street application.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Banned

a lcoker is not always powered on.. it is not a spool..... it disengages.... if you drive like an idoit, yeah you will lose traction.. i jsut dont trust posi or lsd they are the same and they slip hence the name limited slip differential
Old 01-13-2005, 08:31 PM

if you do want to try the supra lsd at school i would suggest getting a spare 3rd member. set up your gears with the corect shims. then swap yours out. in the event its not right you can reinstall you stock 3rd member. i've been told this is a skill to get right. if not aligned properly the gears can whin on wear out. that's why it's recomended to have a profesional set it up. as far as the gears once its appart its easy to unbolt the ring from the carrier so depends what ratio you want, and what yours is stock and what the supra gears are. if you get your rear from a supra with a manuel trans it will be like 3:73 and your pickup with 22re 2wd is probably 4:11 so your stock gear would be a better choice, when you go to the bone yard or where ever to get your parts, you could print out those ratios from the celica link and bring it with you, if there is a selection get a rear from a car with low miles and open the drain for the rear if the fluid is black and smells burnt you dont want that one.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Banned

i have an 85 pickup with 4x2 and its a stick and has 3.07 gears.... i wish i had 4.11s!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

It all depends on what you're going to be using it for. If its for on-road traction only, go with an LSD. Auto-lockers are great and all, but they're on-road behaviors can get annoying real quick. Especially if you have a manual.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:55 AM

Good thread!

Let's see if I understand this.

The Supra LSD carrier will work in a 8" Hilux 3rd member if the Supra is a MK3 generation.

Now if I want to up the gear ratio, all I need to do is unbolt the large ring gear from the Supra carrier and switch it with another ring gear to get the desired ratio.

All that remains to be done is then setting up the shims, backlash, gear pattern and fluid and I'm done with the conversion.

Is all of this correct?

A LSD in a 2wd Hilux PU would be beneficial in most cases I would think. Initial acceleration would be alot better with two wheels getting traction instead of just one peg-leg.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:20 AM

then i guess what i need is a supra rear. i see a locker being more useful in offroad use than on road where mine will stay. i have no plans of offroading.
i'll show you why lol mine is the yellow one.
Attached Thumbnails lsd swap from a supra into a 2wd yota-my-truck.jpg  
Old 01-14-2005, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mark ii supras had a 7.5" rear with an available LSD. if your truck is like most 2wds, this is what you need. i think the years were '82-85.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:25 AM

oh so it is equally swappable with either the 8" or 7.5"?

Last edited by bart3lz; 01-14-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no, you need an LSD carrier from a mkii supra to use it with most 2wd axles(7.5"), and you need a mkiii LSD carrier to make it work with a 4x4, 1 ton or 4 speed axle(8")
Old 01-14-2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by mikedog
Good thread!

Let's see if I understand this.

The Supra LSD carrier will work in a 8" Hilux 3rd member if the Supra is a MK3 generation.

Now if I want to up the gear ratio, all I need to do is unbolt the large ring gear from the Supra carrier and switch it with another ring gear to get the desired ratio.

All that remains to be done is then setting up the shims, backlash, gear pattern and fluid and I'm done with the conversion.

Is all of this correct?

A LSD in a 2wd Hilux PU would be beneficial in most cases I would think. Initial acceleration would be alot better with two wheels getting traction instead of just one peg-leg.
yes, and no mike dog.

you can swapout mkiii gears with an 8" rear but you will need to swap the pinion gear also and set it up aswell.

are rears are like 9" ford rears, meaning the whole third member comes out. if you really wanted some options for your rig you could have a a rear end setup with like 5:60's with a locker for your 4x4 for offroading and have a separate rear with 3:70' and an lsd or open if you wanna take a road trip, or daily driver an swap am out when ever you want. no more comprimising. just an example on the gear ratio's depends on how big of tire your running.
its like ten bolts around the third member four at the pinnion, pull the axles, dont forget the gear oil, probably 1 hour in your drive way and your getting better gas milage m-f. going mudding this week end swap out the gears.

he said "peg leg" how about 1 tire fire? or a 1 wheel peal? ok hope that help.
my lsd rear conversion is being held up by a blown head gasket svze. 5sp 2wd.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
no, you need an LSD carrier from a mkii supra to use it with most 2wd axles(7.5"), and you need a mkiii LSD carrier to make it work with a 4x4, 1 ton or 4 speed axle(8")

thats what i meant, sorry. anyway, i went to one of the links for rear identification for my pickup, http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html
i'm still not to sure what mine has. my vin starts with 4t which according to the site it was made in north america. heres the code.
C/TR 202/LA11 A/TM A01A/W55
i think according to the chart i have a 7.5" rear, 3.42 rear, and 2 pinion open diff. i thought most had a 4.10. Do u think that chart is reliable at all? if thats the case i'm going to keep the supra gears. i like higher ratios. i previously had a rx7 which had a 4.10 and i like that. so im gonna go as close as i can to that which is why i'll stick with the supra rear.

Quick Reply: lsd swap from a supra into a 2wd yota