Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Low speed rubbing in front end axle area..PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low speed rubbing in front end axle area..PLEASE HELP

Hey guys I am wondering if anyone else has had this type of noise from there trucks. It starts first thing in the morning right at 30 MPH and goes away after 40MPH. After I drive @35 miles to work the noise is gone or I can put it into 4WD and the sound stops right away. As the outside weather is getting warmer the noise is not quite as loud but still very present. The dealership said they heard and felt the rubbing but at this time Toyota has no solution for the fix. I'm hoping that someone out there has had this problem and got it repaired, if so I would love to hear from anyone with some ideas. I don't know what you guys think but anytime I hear something rubbing or grinding in the drive train something is wrong and the dealership should've at least took the time to have a look inside the Diff or the axles up front. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter...ROB
Old 04-18-2003, 10:04 AM

Do you have manual hubs?
If so - is the noise present while they are locked, unlocked, or both (all while the transfercase is in 2 high)?

If your able to do this test and the noise goes away with the hubs unlocked, I would focus on the front axles or CV joints (if IFS). If you can unlock and the noise is still there - I would focus on the tranfercase or forward ujoints
Old 04-18-2003, 10:15 AM

Hey. Thanks for the reply. No I don't have manual hubs, I have ADD. The noise is only present in 2WD at 30MPH. I seen some people say that they replaced one of there axles and the problem went away, however when I told the dealership that they said that was most likely another problem and that mine was in the Diff. I think that I might have to try another dealer because this problem just shouldn't be happening on a brand new truck. Oh one more thing I did read somewhere that someone put manual hubs on his truck with the same problem and the noise went away when the hubs were unlocked.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:17 PM

I have the same problem just started with my 99 4runner with auto hubs. It seems to go away after the truck warms up. Let me know what you find out as my dealer said they could't find anything, Thank You.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Rob02
Hey. Thanks for the reply. No I don't have manual hubs, I have ADD. The noise is only present in 2WD at 30MPH. I seen some people say that they replaced one of there axles and the problem went away, however when I told the dealership that they said that was most likely another problem and that mine was in the Diff. I think that I might have to try another dealer because this problem just shouldn't be happening on a brand new truck. Oh one more thing I did read somewhere that someone put manual hubs on his truck with the same problem and the noise went away when the hubs were unlocked.

I'm drawing a blank on the finer points of the ADD system - If I remeber correctly you diff is still spinning even in 2wd (I think only one axle is pushing it though - sounds wrong when I write it but that's what I remember). If I'm right that pretty much ties everything your saying together.

I'd continue pressuring a dealer, especcialy since it's new = warrenty!