Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Joined the S/C plus URD club this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Joined the S/C plus URD club this weekend!

So I enlisted the help of a couple of car savvy friends this weekend, and we installed the S/C and URD kit in my 97 4runner. I can't say it went without a hitch, since there was an "oh s**t" moment when we finished our second day of work, and the bugger wouldn't start at all. Everybody was tired, so day three rolled around, and we finally figured out that Mr. "I don't need no steenkin' directions" forgot to hook up quite all of the electrical connections to the fuel pump. He works on busses normally, so I guess I can forgive him.

Aside from that, there was the usual fun with the fact that the instructions are a little short on telling you how to get the vacuum lines set up correctly when all is said and done. It was a good time to have friends who knew how everything was supposed to work, so they could make good guesses on how to re-route things. (Later I got a chance to do some YT searches, and confirmed they made good choices).

The only minor advice I'd offer to anyone else doing this themselves is to go out and get a few parts before you start, so you don't have to make runs in the middle. Notably, a new manifold/intake plenum gasket, some vacuum line and tees to replace (at a minimum) one of the lines from the power steering pump, and as long as you're in there, a new P/S and A/C belt. We replaced a few more hoses than that to get things nice and tidy, but all in all, it was a short parts list. I suppose you should also replace the fuel tank gaskets when you're in there, according to the FSM, but we didn't need to.

Also, check around for the power steering vacuum line routine on YT before you start; otherwise you'll have to spend some precious brain cells pondering.

Since I didn't have a FSM, I also found it good to hook up to the online one, pay my ten bucks, and get all of the relevant parts diagrams to figure out the vacuum system.

A question I have is: I haven't had a chance to tune the FTC beastie yet, and I don't really anticipate having time before I have to take a fairly chunky road trip (1,500 miles). Will the pre-loaded map it comes with do the job without risking any damage to the engine or cat if I run for a while without doing specific tuning?

And YES, I'll get the valve body done, but it's going to have to wait a bit for the ole' revenue stream to get flush again. Definitely will happen before the summer is out, and I'll be nice to the tranny between now and then.

So still to go on the project:

+ tuning the FTC
+ installing a tranny cooler
+ valve body upgrade
+ and probably some combination of deckplate, ISR-variant, and true flow air filter

I'm not a real performance junky, so that's about all I have in mind on that front. The next bunch of cash is going into more off-road kind of projects.

Oh, and I have to apologize to paddlenbike... he came around while we were in the middle of the project, and his resolve not to get a S/C for his truck took a big hit! Fortunately, he had a brand new, equally expensive new off-road vehicle with him, so he should have some time to think about it for a while first...
Old 06-01-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottiac
So I enlisted the help of a couple of car savvy friends this weekend, and we installed the S/C and URD kit in my 97 4runner. I can't say it went without a hitch, since there was an "oh s**t" moment when we finished our second day of work, and the bugger wouldn't start at all. Everybody was tired, so day three rolled around, and we finally figured out that Mr. "I don't need no steenkin' directions" forgot to hook up quite all of the electrical connections to the fuel pump. He works on busses normally, so I guess I can forgive him.

Aside from that, there was the usual fun with the fact that the instructions are a little short on telling you how to get the vacuum lines set up correctly when all is said and done. It was a good time to have friends who knew how everything was supposed to work, so they could make good guesses on how to re-route things. (Later I got a chance to do some YT searches, and confirmed they made good choices).

The only minor advice I'd offer to anyone else doing this themselves is to go out and get a few parts before you start, so you don't have to make runs in the middle. Notably, a new manifold/intake plenum gasket, some vacuum line and tees to replace (at a minimum) one of the lines from the power steering pump, and as long as you're in there, a new P/S and A/C belt. We replaced a few more hoses than that to get things nice and tidy, but all in all, it was a short parts list. I suppose you should also replace the fuel tank gaskets when you're in there, according to the FSM, but we didn't need to.

Also, check around for the power steering vacuum line routine on YT before you start; otherwise you'll have to spend some precious brain cells pondering.

Since I didn't have a FSM, I also found it good to hook up to the online one, pay my ten bucks, and get all of the relevant parts diagrams to figure out the vacuum system.

A question I have is: I haven't had a chance to tune the FTC beastie yet, and I don't really anticipate having time before I have to take a fairly chunky road trip (1,500 miles). Will the pre-loaded map it comes with do the job without risking any damage to the engine or cat if I run for a while without doing specific tuning?

And YES, I'll get the valve body done, but it's going to have to wait a bit for the ole' revenue stream to get flush again. Definitely will happen before the summer is out, and I'll be nice to the tranny between now and then.

So still to go on the project:

+ tuning the FTC
+ installing a tranny cooler
+ valve body upgrade
+ and probably some combination of deckplate, ISR-variant, and true flow air filter

I'm not a real performance junky, so that's about all I have in mind on that front. The next bunch of cash is going into more off-road kind of projects.

Oh, and I have to apologize to paddlenbike... he came around while we were in the middle of the project, and his resolve not to get a S/C for his truck took a big hit! Fortunately, he had a brand new, equally expensive new off-road vehicle with him, so he should have some time to think about it for a while first...
Awesome !

I enjoyed the heck out of my SCd 99 Sport but always had that "will the tranny give out" worry in the back of mind.

I found the ideal solution.

A stock 98 limited and a cherry 2000 Audi S4 with 'some minor mods'

Enjoy. I loved the looks on folks faces. Combine the sound of a good catback with the whine of the SC and folks could not macth the sound with the vehicle !

David
Old 06-01-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
scott,

you dirty dog enjoy the SC!

bob
Old 06-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Congrats. Before you do the road trip, you should probably do the tranny cooler. It's pretty cheap and easy to do. Just a little more insurance for your tranny before the VB upgrade...
Old 06-01-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats Scott! WELCOME!

Originally Posted by Scottiac
A question I have is: Will the pre-loaded map it comes with do the job without risking any damage to the engine or cat if I run for a while without doing specific tuning?
Yes, you'll be fine.

Fill it with premium, NEVER use anything else from here on out, and HAVE FUN!
Old 06-01-2006, 02:33 PM

Scott failed to mention his lead mechanic is female. You don't see that everyday.

Congrats on the install! Now stop by and take me for a ride.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
Scott failed to mention his lead mechanic is female. You don't see that everyday.
That's probably because my wife stole the camera while the project was in progress, and I know I'd be getting besieged by "where's the pic's" posts!

It was kinda funny when the chauvinist neighbor next door was making the "you're letting a girl work on your truck??" noises. Um, she was working as a mechanic at least ten years ago... I can barely change my own oil. Damn straight I'm letting her work on my truck!

Of course, this is the same guy that saw my floor jack under the gas tank, and had a s**t fit because he thought we were working under the truck when it was balanced precariously on a jack. He went inside with his "oh no, I can't watch" face on. I appreciate the (very valid) concern, but if yer gonna snoop on someone else's project, snoop all the way!

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
Congrats on the install! Now stop by and take me for a ride.
Well, duh! How else am I going to bribe you into helping me tune it?!?:pat:

Last edited by Scottiac; 06-01-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

If only DV had been 2 months later...oh well guess I'll just have to wait for Mammoth then!

Congrats!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome!

I wonder what the default FTC map looks like? I am sure Brian pre-loads it to minimize HG/LR ping so you should be fine, but you may want to give him a call and ask him just to be safe.

Have fun!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm. A little new quandry. Might be pyschosomatic, or transitory, or maybe not. I was testing out 4x4 hi, 4x4 lo, rear locker, etc, just to make sure everything was working after mucking about.

Everything seems ok except... when in 4lo, the tranmission shifts seemed very abrubt. anythng I might have done vacuum-wise that might impact that?

or might this be a bizarre side effect of the S/C just making the gears spool up much faster than I expect? I certainly wasn't jumping on it.

now, normally I don't test 4lo on the street, so this may just be my imagination, but anybody ever experience anything like this?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

The increased parasitic drag on the engine because of the SC'r could be causing 4LO to feel different. It kind of did with mine in 4LO as well. It slows down faster when I let off the gas now if that makes sense. Keep in mind I have a 5 speed though. My 4Runner stalls easier now when I attempt a granny start at low rpm. I have to be right on with the clutch or it will stall. W/O the SC'r things were more forgiving and less "jerky."
Old 06-02-2006, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
The increased parasitic drag on the engine because of the SC'r could be causing 4LO to feel different. It kind of did with mine in 4LO as well. It slows down faster when I let off the gas now if that makes sense. Keep in mind I have a 5 speed though. My 4Runner stalls easier now when I attempt a granny start at low rpm. I have to be right on with the clutch or it will stall. W/O the SC'r things were more forgiving and less "jerky."
Yeup... The shift is rough on mine too.