Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

JARDINE EXHAUST *installed*

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taikowaza
FIPK sounds kinda cool at WOT- but in gadgets dyno runs it proves that the deckplate is much better! but for the looks instead of hp the FIPK is cool again. If it were up to me I would remove the Intake silencer and elbow and do the deckplate! More HP bottom line and I love the intake sound.

SEAN is the man, he's the one who hooked me up on my deal.

taikowaza - where you located? I know the best man in SC for anything YOTA.

GUYS I WILL HAVE A short Movie on my T4r soon, I just got back into town, so let me get everything together and Ill put together something really cool.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

I very much agree with Tommy's thoughts on the deckplate as apposed to the FIPK. I have had both. THe deckplate mod makes a lot of sense for a wheeled rig anyway. THe FIPK is an open filter element which could be bad when mixed with weather/water. Deckplate is semi enclesed and can be closed at will.

FIPK does sound really cool when get on ur though!
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slick and ecc-
this is the best thread. glad it's still moving!
I am heading out to the olympics in a few days (olympic national park that is)
and got PIAA 520s for the waag brish guard, going to install those with an original foglight switch I got from 1sttoyotaparts (great shipping, less than dealer on yota parts)
looking forward to that!
I know a cool mechanic who helps me with my mods, so he recommended the deckplate to me and I know he can do it really professionally...
however there are a couple of FIPKs available used, one going for around 100 and another I am working on for even less-
if I could get a used one would you still recommend the deckplate? why and expl?

OK back to Thorley/Jardine

Couple of things-
I think this is going to be the one. THe more you can tell me about the Jardine exhaust and why you like it the happier I will be

a lot of guys say borla but i think they discontinued for the 3.0
couldn't find that old part number

I head Gibson is also good but very loud.

jardine I had never heard of but they seem to have a good name, any more opinions welcome.

i called a few places, man some of these shops try to rip you off!!!!!
2grand for the header/exhaust installed? no way!!

so I am going to call sean again...the best price so far is from summit racing for 775 fr the header and exhaust shipped to my door. if you know anyone who can beat that would be kewl

also something distirbung- one of the salesmen found a footnote at the bottom of a thorley catalogue saying that the thorley was the same as the downey. how could this be??? thorley makes their own...did they use the same design????? I really want to find the answer-

IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DOWNEY AND THORLEY HEADER FOR THE 3.0 V6????

THEY SAY THAT THE THORLEY NEEDS NO CROSSOVER...IS THIS TRUE???

getting ready for the thorley/jardine combo...think its gonna rock
Old 03-16-2006, 06:29 AM

Hey Tommy, great looking Runner. I am in Greenville as well. I am getting ready to lift and redo the exhaust on mine. 97' Limited from up north, you get the picture. How does it sound on the interstate and what other mods have you done? Maybe I'll see you around town.

Dennis
Old 03-22-2006, 04:51 AM

Just FYI the website for the Jardine exhaust is dougthorleyheaders.com
Old 03-27-2006, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

update on thorley/jardine

Just an update, I ordered the thorley ceramic header and jardine combo for my 1992 4runner.
I have not received them yet but will give a full report.
thanks again slick for all your input. you helped me with my decision.
I am in Seattle, FYI, wish that I could take advantage of your SC tech friend!
thanks, best
T
Old 04-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

well- I am getting the Jardine/Thorley Combo installed tomorrow.

Here is the list of gear that I am getting installed- this is going to be HUGE!!
I will post pictures. CHeck out this list of mods for the 3.0

EMU Steering Stabilizer
Thorley Headers
Jardine Exhaust
New Shifter Bushings (Downey)
Magnaflow Cat
New Plugs/Rotor/Cap/Wires
Redline Fluids
FIPK

(and did the Downey Idler Arm Gusset myself last week...)
yeah!!!
now...the only thing is EMU suspension...

slick858 how do you like yours??

Old 04-29-2006, 10:17 PM

taikowaza- I LOVE IT!!

too bad your not anywhere near SC, I would gladly help you out and my mechanic would as well!

please tell me how everything goes AND how big the SMILE on your face is gonna be after all these mods, congrats!!!!!!!

Last edited by slick858; 04-29-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

after mods-

Hi Slick and thanks for those words!
OK- I have an initial report after the mods, it is still a work in progress.
My mechanic friend worked 11 hours on the first day and most of the second day too to get most of these mods done. He said the Thorley headers were one of the hardest things that he's ever had to do. Apparently the crossover was a total ***** and he eventually had to cut out the old crossover, it was just too hard to get out. He finally got the headers in but one of the flexible pipes was missing so he had to make a new one (needs replacing).
One he got them in, the jardine exhaust would not fit!
So, I have the jardine muffler and my new magnaflow cat in the back of the truck waiting to be put on my Randy's CUstom Exhaust in northern Washington (I know he is going to do a great job).

The FIPK looks awesome. The OME steering stabilizer is GREAT. My friend was able to replace a BUSHING in my shifting column and now it feels like a BRAND NEW SHIFTER!!! I had thought I needed a new clutch. Nothing of the sort!! Awesome.

My Optima battery had come loose and slid into the powersteering belt. Could have been a disaster. HAD to replace the powersteering belt and pump, but now all is well. Optima barely touched, a little nick in the corner is all. those things are indestructable. if it had been another battery goodbye battery.

I ordered my new cap, rotor and wires from first toyota parts and they sent the wrong parts (instead of 3.0 they sent 3.4). Sucks because my old wires are totally shot. now have to wait to have the new ones arrive.

The headers are a big change!! although it is LOUD!! (no muffler...no tailpipe yet!!) it is whooshing, breathing, there is a HUGE powerband at 2500-3500RPM, but from 0-2500 it is weak, shaky.

this prob. has to do with the effect of the absent muffler +tailpipe, one sparkplug wire broken, etc. will have to wait until the final exhaust work is done and wires replaced before evaluating further. What a job, good work to my mechanic. the headers look great. ceramic is the way to go. I can feel that it is much more open now (FIPK and headers+new exhaust, it sounds like a &^*^% dragon in there. just has a tough time starting and getting to the powerband for now.

any thoughts appreciated!
T

Last edited by taikowaza; 05-01-2006 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

thorley header/jardine exhaust on 3.0 4runner 2nd gen

to continue the report...
today I am very pleased. I changed the cap, rotor and wires on the 3.0 3vze and took it for a test drive. (one of the wires was frayed through). Amazing difference. The Thorley headers/Jardine Exhaust/FIPK make for an entirely new driving experience. It felt like a race car. Acceleration even in 4th gear I could gun it and pull ahead on the highway- this is a first for me with the 3.0. It is highly responsive and was a real treat to drive. I highly recommend this combo.
My muffler is still off and I am still using the stock cat. Once I get the magnaflow and the jardine muffler on there I am really looking forward to hearing the sound. For now it is still very loud but I am more than happy witht the throttle response.
I also went by costco and spoke with Moe (Seattle costco) who liked the sound of the thorleys and offered to fill my tires with pure nitrogen for free. Although air is 79% nitrogen anyway, the 100%n2 mix apparently seeps out of the tires slower and he put green air caps on the input valves. Also he recommended higher pressure on the front tires than I had been using as they were larger than stock. (32lbs front, 35lbs rear).
Jardine+Thorley=awesome boost for a 2nd gen 4runner!

1992 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 3vze Waag Grille Guard, PIAA 520s, Thorley Headers, Jardine Exhaust (still half installed!), K&N FIPK, Downey Idler Arm Gusset, Optima Red-Top, OME steering stabilizer.

Last edited by taikowaza; 05-02-2006 at 10:17 PM.