Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installing a NGP Firestik 2' CB antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a NGP Firestik 2' CB antenna

i'm planning on installing my cobra 75 wx st CB with the help of Bob this weekend, but we need some advice on how to install this type of antenna.

could you guys who are running a non ground plane antenna explain your installation? as in the principle behind it and any tips we should know. that sure would help out a lot. thanks...

also, i'm thinking i want to install it on the fender using one of those hood mounts - will it work if it's on the passenger side, near the FM antenna? i won't have the FM antenna up while using the cb. i know this may not be the optimal place but I only need it to work on the trails, and i think that's good enough for such close proximity. yeah i could put it on the TJM or roof rack, but....i don't want to.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Jacksonpt

Jackson has an antenna like that. Check his website or ask him.

I hope this helps! I have got to get my CB installed soon as well so post your pics and tips!

Old 03-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

uuummm hate to say this. But if you want an easy set up, that your only going to use while off roading is to attach it to the TJM.

I have one of those spring mounts that screws right in, and then the antenna screws right into that. Otherwise the antenna just sits in the back. The coax cable runs straight through the grill, and along the left quarter panel through a hole in the lower fire wall, and then under the dash, and cross over to the passenger side. I placed the mounting bracket for the cb on the side of the shifter box, and everything looks nice and clean. Takes about 40 min to hook up.

The only thing I need to fix, is I need to remove the plastic between the sring mount and the TJM bumper to get a better ground.

This way you save yourself from drilling holes in your truck. good luck
Old 03-10-2004, 11:00 AM

What exactly do you want to know? There's not much to it. You should have gotten a NGP kit (antenna, coax, and mounting hardware). The coax is designed for a NGP antenna, so all you do is loop the connector over the bolt, then add your washers and whatever other hardware you need, and snug everything down. Whatever you do DON'T CUT THE COAX. There's something about it that if you cut it you'll ruin the coax and not get any decent reception.

If you want to know the technical side of things about how NGP works, you'll have to ask someone else. It's just plug-and-play for me.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking 2' NGP antenna

Originally Posted by sdastg1
uuummm hate to say this. But if you want an easy set up, that your only going to use while off roading is to attach it to the TJM.

I have one of those spring mounts that screws right in, and then the antenna screws right into that. Otherwise the antenna just sits in the back. The coax cable runs straight through the grill, and along the left quarter panel through a hole in the lower fire wall, and then under the dash, and cross over to the passenger side. I placed the mounting bracket for the cb on the side of the shifter box, and everything looks nice and clean. Takes about 40 min to hook up.

The only thing I need to fix, is I need to remove the plastic between the sring mount and the TJM bumper to get a better ground.

This way you save yourself from drilling holes in your truck. good luck
What antenna you got? Work well. I got to pick one up before May 14.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

4' firestick II .. got it from mike at extremeoff road.

I think there was a guy on here that was selling mounting brackets for the ARB bumper for like $20 .. scroll through and see if you can fnd it.