Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installed OME 3" lift but still have rake...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The back doesnt look too high considering your running 265/75's, the front sits too low. You should have way more clearance up front with that size of tire.

I didnt compare the heights of the spring perches on the OME and stock, but I have in the past on Honda's that I lowered. One specifically I installed Tokicos on and the spring perch was actually lower providing some additional drop.

You could always contact ARB and inquire, but I am sure they will tell you to get some new OME struts.

Dont mean to sound like an A-hole, but over the years I have learned to do things right the first time. If it costs too much, I wait until I have the funds. Otherwise you spend more time and money to try and make it right later on.

Last edited by 85 PICKUP; 10-01-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 85 PICKUP
The back doesnt look too high considering your running 265/75's, the front sits too low. You should have way more clearance up front with that size of tire.

I didnt compare the heights of the spring perches on the OME and stock, but I have in the past on Honda's that I lowered. One specifically I installed Tokicos on and the spring perch was actually lower providing some additional drop.

You could always contact ARB and inquire, but I am sure they will tell you to get some new OME struts.

Dont mean to sound like an A-hole, but over the years I have learned to do things right the first time. If it costs too much, I wait until I have the funds. Otherwise you spend more time and money to try and make it right later on.
I agree that the front looks too low for that tire size and that lift. I don't think your an A-hole, and to be honest, that's exactly why I went with springs all the way around and not spacers up front. I was trying to do it right but I guess stuff happens.

@Ron- My apologies, I do mean rake as in the front being lower than the rear. I know it isn't a lot but just don't prefer having it. That is why I bought the top plates with the springs, hoping it would sit level. I will try and post some pics later today of the rear for you all to see. I will also post data for the fender heights. And yes, that is a level surface, and I have tested it out on other surfaces too...the rake doesn't change.

As far as the springs not being truly OME....you would have to ask Toytec. I picked them up directly from their shop and they "re-packaged" the springs to include the top plates. There were no markings on the springs except for the front, which specified what side the go on (A for driver's side, B for passenger). They were in an OME box but it had been opened to add the top plates. I really don't think that is the issue. Toytec has a pretty good rep. and I would hate to go down that road.

The ride is great but i am not comparing it to a stock ride so I don't know if they are 891s. The previous owner had some ridiculously stiff springs in the rear so it road like hell before the lift. They weren't any taller than stock, just really stiff.

Last edited by mswenso1; 10-02-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:14 PM

take the cone bump stops out............... it takes less than 30 minutes
Old 10-02-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j-money$$$
take the cone bump stops out............... it takes less than 30 minutes
Yeah, he didn't respond to me when I suggested that earlier so.. ???
Old 10-02-2010, 07:08 PM

I third that as my previous post stated....remove the cones in the rear coil
Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Yota Runner
I third that as my previous post stated....remove the cones in the rear coil
...... and i'll buy them off of ya cause i dont have any and i need the rake...
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 AM

Sorry guys, had to work all weekend...My only concern with removing the cones is what does that do when one side is compressed all the way and there is no cone to stop the axle hitting something? I assume they serve some sort of purpose right?

Plus, as I said before, I want the front higher, not the back lower...more lift=happier me

Last edited by mswenso1; 10-04-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 AM

The cones just add a little more cusion before the bump stops actually hit the axle. With your new springs, they probably aren't even needed.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM

i know from installing my lift that the ome front shocks have more travel than the stockers. could your shocks be limiting the lift?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by md_runner
i know from installing my lift that the ome front shocks have more travel than the stockers. could your shocks be limiting the lift?
They def. could be limiting the lift...need to wait for more money to learn if that is the case....have to buy a radiator first