Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Igniter problem in 2002

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Igniter problem in 2002

I have 2002 Badlands Edition 4runner that on Friday decided to cough and stall shortly after starting it this past Friday. I was able to start it, and both the CEL and VSC lights were on. I drove to my dealership and they told me the code (P1300) showed a fault on the ignitor circuit. After resetting the code they said to try driving around and see if it happens again - which it did today about 5 minutes after starting up the truck (fortunately I wasn't going very fast). I was able to pull over and restart it. No other problems for the day.

The dealer wants $300 for the part and 1 hr to install it. Obviously I'm not eager to spend that kind of coin, so I'm curious if the fault codes are specific enough to identify the problem. From reading other posts, it sounds like it is a very likely source, but I'm wondering if it were to fail, wouldn't it fail outright? Could it be my battery or alternator instead (although I doubt either would trigger the code and CEL).

My last question is that my truck seems a little young to have this type of problem? Everyone else with this problem seems to have 1st or 2nd gens, with 200,000 kms (mine has 72,000kms).

Thanks for any insight!

Whitefish
Old 02-12-2006, 07:51 AM

Last night I had it out, and it was very cold - and oddly the CEL light went off after starting. Saves me $50 to have the code reset
Old 02-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whitefish
I have 2002 Badlands Edition 4runner that on Friday decided to cough and stall shortly after starting it this past Friday. I was able to start it, and both the CEL and VSC lights were on. I drove to my dealership and they told me the code (P1300) showed a fault on the ignitor circuit. After resetting the code they said to try driving around and see if it happens again - which it did today about 5 minutes after starting up the truck (fortunately I wasn't going very fast). I was able to pull over and restart it. No other problems for the day.

The dealer wants $300 for the part and 1 hr to install it. Obviously I'm not eager to spend that kind of coin, so I'm curious if the fault codes are specific enough to identify the problem. From reading other posts, it sounds like it is a very likely source, but I'm wondering if it were to fail, wouldn't it fail outright? Could it be my battery or alternator instead (although I doubt either would trigger the code and CEL).

My last question is that my truck seems a little young to have this type of problem? Everyone else with this problem seems to have 1st or 2nd gens, with 200,000 kms (mine has 72,000kms).

Thanks for any insight!

Whitefish

You wouldn't happen to have a supercharger with the 7th injector kit would you?

It could very well be your coil packs but they don't always fail outright (1st and 2nd gens don't have those). They are quite easy to test with a basic multimeter (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...5&postcount=10). You should also replace the wires and plugs (use only OEM parts) because often these can also be a source for that code too.

......also you can reset the CEL by pulling the negative battery terminal too.

Are you in Canada?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-13-2006 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Not to hi-jack, but whats the "Badlands Edition"?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2006, 09:07 AM

...not at all...The "Badlands" Edition I believe was a Canada-only release (it was branded as Sport or Highlander edition in other countries I think), in 2002. Here is some info on it. Great rig - the only mods it has are alloy rims and michelin LTX tires, Manik nerf bars, ASC sunroof, and a nifty long-neck hologen map light. These were all put on by the previous owner.

http://autonet.ca/EdmontonDrive/Stor...m?StoryID=4297
Old 02-18-2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
You wouldn't happen to have a supercharger with the 7th injector kit would you?

It could very well be your coil packs but they don't always fail outright (1st and 2nd gens don't have those). They are quite easy to test with a basic multimeter (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...5&postcount=10). You should also replace the wires and plugs (use only OEM parts) because often these can also be a source for that code too.

......also you can reset the CEL by pulling the negative battery terminal too.

Are you in Canada?
Yes - I'm in Toronto.....
Thanks for the info. Nope, I wish I had the supercharger but I'm not that rich! Any extra money I have tends to go to scuba gear first...which the truck gladly hauls around.

This week the truck stalled twice, both times when the engine was at or near operating temp. It's no problem starting it, and then the CEL comes back on for a period of time...then will shut off a day or two later. Good tip with the battery and CEL. My tack now is to just keep driving it and record the behavior. I will pick up a multi-meter and do the test on the coils.

3 weeks ago I had her in for oil change, lube, new plugs..not that matters really, but I'm now wondering if the dealer mucked with something they shouldn't have.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Was your problem ever resolved?