Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How much weight in bed for snow & ice traction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oly884
Well, that's assuming you're intelligent individual, which you are. Most people won't understand that if you fill one of these bags full of water for the winter that IT WILL freeze.

I've realized that 99% of people are given too much credit for their intelligence. They are really idiots and need to be coached through every part of their life if they plan to live past 40.
good call, i couldnt agree more

apologies if i came off like a j/o, i just reread my post and i realized it could be taken in a attacking kinda way. sorry brotha its late here...
Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Elton
For those of you if you click on this web site and LOOK AT THE FAQ'S SECTION YOU WILL SEE THAT IT TALKS ABOUT FREEZING, AND IF YOU WANT TO ADD A NO FREEZING AGENT TO THE BLADDER IT IS OK, ALSO IF YOU DECIDE TO LET IT FREEZS THAT IS ALSO OK THEY GAURENTEE AGAINST ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY FREEZING!!!!! SO I SUGGEST THAT MAYBE YOU SMARTEN UP AND READ A LITTLE FURTHER BEFORE CONDEMMING A GOOD PRODUCT. ALSO IT SAYS THAT IT CAN WITH STAND A LOAD ON TOP OF THE BLADDER JUST FINE, IT AGAIN WAS DESIGNED TO HANDLE SUCH USE!!!!

ALSO IF YOU READ THE LABEL ON CALICUM CHLORIDE IT IS A CROSSIVE PRODUCT!!! IF IT SPILLS OUT OF THE CONTAINER IT'S IN, OR THE BUCKET MADE(OF PVC PLASTIC) WOULD EVER CRACK IT IS ALL OVER IN YOUR BED AND AS A CROSIVE TO METAL , I CAN SEE THAT BEING OF NO GOOD TO YOUR TRUCKS BED..... YES, I AGREE THINK. SHURE THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT BUT IT BEATS ANYTHING I HAVE READ OR SAW SUGGESTED HERE.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
For those of you if you click on this web site and LOOK AT THE FAQ'S SECTION YOU WILL SEE THAT IT TALKS ABOUT FREEZING, AND IF YOU WANT TO ADD A NO FREEZING AGENT TO THE BLADDER IT IS OK, ALSO IF YOU DECIDE TO LET IT FREEZS THAT IS ALSO OK THEY GAURENTEE AGAINST ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY FREEZING!!!!! SO I SUGGEST THAT MAYBE YOU SMARTEN UP AND READ A LITTLE FURTHER BEFORE CONDEMMING A GOOD PRODUCT. ALSO IT SAYS THAT IT CAN WITH STAND A LOAD ON TOP OF THE BLADDER JUST FINE, IT AGAIN WAS DESIGNED TO HANDLE SUCH USE!!!!

ALSO IF YOU READ THE LABEL ON CALICUM CHLORIDE IT IS A CROSSIVE PRODUCT!!! IF IT SPILLS OUT OF THE CONTAINER IT'S IN, OR THE BUCKET MADE(OF PVC PLASTIC) WOULD EVER CRACK IT IS ALL OVER IN YOUR BED AND AS A CROSIVE TO METAL , I CAN SEE THAT BEING OF NO GOOD TO YOUR TRUCKS BED..... YES, I AGREE THINK. SHURE THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT BUT IT BEATS ANYTHING I HAVE READ OR SAW SUGGESTED HERE.

ok, well i read the whole website, and made a judgment. im sorry, but if water freezes in it, i see it tearing. we owned an in ground pool for quite a few years, and bought many different products, to hold the cover on, all which state you can just put water in and let it freeze. so we did, and what happened, some ripped, some tore, and some basically fell apart. from the pictures they show it looks to be a similar material, somewhat tarplike but thicker and slighty stretchable. imo i dont trust it, and its not like its cheap...if your so convinced of it, then why dont you buy it and give it a test run...maybe then youll have me convinced....

as for the calcuim chloride, if you dont realize that a product that can melt ice is corrosive, well then your just gone my friend. i would say that it would prolly explain why they call where i live the rust belt. indeed pvc can crack, esp in cold weather, but i will have a spray on bedliner by then, and well i need the calcuim with me. we use it to salt kickers(jumps for snowboarding) when snow is either too fluffy or frozen over. when we cant get to the mt, which is usually never, or dont feel like making the drive, we hit up a couple local spots, build some decent step down type jumps, and air it out all night long with our trucks to give us our light.

long story short, i agree reading is a good thing, but just as you told us not to condemn what u call a good product, dont condemn us when u have absolutly no idea...so basically:complain:
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 AM

Making a comment on the original post.. about the chains you mentioned, do chains actually help to improve traction in icy conditions? I thought they were good for slush and deeper snow as they helped digging. Just wanted to clarify for myself and maybe for greenman
Old 11-15-2006, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Greenman
Answer: 33x10.5, no BL, enlarged fenders. I've still got 35 psi front and back from summer. I was under the impression that chains needed normal tire pressure to support them. Not so?
Nope, you will get the added traction of the chain and the tire treads. I usually run about 12 psi when wheeling with chains.

Originally Posted by BornChaos
Making a comment on the original post.. about the chains you mentioned, do chains actually help to improve traction in icy conditions? I thought they were good for slush and deeper snow as they helped digging. Just wanted to clarify for myself and maybe for greenman
Oh god yes. What they do is cut into the ice and grab on, they are amazing on ice. Personally I own two sets of chains. My fwy ones, which are the small flat links, they are great for anything on the pvmt. I have never seen it so bad on the pvmt I need to dig out my trail chains... I have a full set of 4 onb my trail ones, they are the HD links, probally .25" links and had extra crossbars with vbar added. Each pair weights about 60 pounds.. these are beasts when you are breaking trail, or on anysort of dirt road. I will not run them on pvmt sice the pvmt will destroy the vbar if the snow/ice is patchy or not very thick...
Old 11-15-2006, 08:45 AM

Jeeze, freezing/thawing/expanding/swelling.....

Just load up a 6' chest freezer, fill with 400lbs. of water, plug the freezer in ocassionally to keep it frozen...LMAO

Sand people in old inner tubes...or heavy plastic bags..
Old 11-15-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 91TPU
good call, i couldnt agree more

apologies if i came off like a j/o, i just reread my post and i realized it could be taken in a attacking kinda way. sorry brotha its late here...
Absolutely not man! All is good. I was feeling the same way about my reply.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 AM

#1 stop typing in caps, it's annoying to every one.

#2 I didn't have to read the FAQ section to know that you can add antifreeze. I was simply saying that using water to ad weight to a vehicle is a dumb idea, antifreeze or not. Also, 50 gallons of water, how much antifreeze do you think it's going to take to make a difference so that the water doesn't freeze at 0 F out, a lot! Oh also, what are you going to do with 50 gallons of an antifreeze/water mixture when spring comes? That's a lot of hazardous waste.

As stated before, it's a stupid product.

#3 take a CHILL PILL MAN!!!!! No need to get your panties in a bunch over any of this. Calcium Chloride can be corrosive to metal, but if you are smart about storing it, it will work just fine. It's a MUCH MUCH better idea than putting a water bladder in the back, even if it has antifreeze in it.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:24 PM

The idea of putting that much water in the back of my 4 Runner scares the hell out of me. Sure it may not leak, but I have never used any device that holds water for any amount of time that did not leak at one point or another, especially if freezing was involved. It looks like a great product; it is just not for me. I have never had any problems with the small amount of powder we get here in mid Missouri to put any additional weight in the 4 Runner. It is just way too much fun to play in and drive in the snow. Now if it were a Tacoma . . .

Steve
Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by olly884

#1 stop typing in caps, it's annoying to every one.

#2 I didn't have to read the FAQ section to know that you can add antifreeze. I was simply saying that using water to ad weight to a vehicle is a dumb idea, antifreeze or not. Also, 50 gallons of water, how much antifreeze do you think it's going to take to make a difference so that the water doesn't freeze at 0 F out, a lot! Oh also, what are you going to do with 50 gallons of an antifreeze/water mixture when spring comes? That's a lot of hazardous waste.

As stated before, it's a stupid product.

#3 take a CHILL PILL MAN!!!!! No need to get your panties in a bunch over any of this. Calcium Chloride can be corrosive to metal, but if you are smart about storing it, it will work just fine. It's a MUCH MUCH better idea than putting a water bladder in the back, even if it has antifreeze in it.

And you really cant just lift the 50 gal bag out full and store it for a summer as it will weigh about 400+ pounds...
Old 11-16-2006, 02:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AH64ID

And you really cant just lift the 50 gal bag out full and store it for a summer as it will weigh about 400+ pounds...
I guess you all have misinterperted my post and thus have been making myself an easy target for your replies.

Let me simply state that I am not affilated or do I have anything at stake in the sale of this product.

I am simply saying that it is a good idea, you fill the thing with water. That's all. you can add a simple amount of bio-degradble anti freeze, if you desire it to keep from freezing. It is only 10 gallon of the antifreeze in a 40 gallon of water. It will not leave a toxic mess when dumping out. It is a simular antifreeze you use in a RV and isn't very expensive.

It drains out. in the spring. So you don't have to find out how much it weighs to store.

As far as leaking it has two layers protecting it from punchuring, the large one is only 50 gal. I wouldn't worrie about freezing. It has been designed for freezing and has lots of space left after filling for expanshion. You do have to "burp," it like a water bed. If it does leak, and run all over the interior of your 4Runner, it's only water. If that happens in the bed of your Truck, no problem. You use water to wash your truck. Water only expans so much reguardless how cold it is. It doesn't keep rising. If it does leak in your 4 runner the size that they design for the sport utliity is only 10 gal. so you aren't going to have old faithful going off back there. You can use a wet dry vac or simply let it dry. It isn't going to hurt anything.

I have purchased sand tubes in the past, and they weren't inexpensive nor are cinderblocks, plus to get the same weight as in 400lbs one would have to have several cinderblocks to stack in there to get 400lbs and sand tubes come in either 40lbs or 70lbs you would have to have. Six tubes at 70lbs or ten of the 40lbs tubes plus a way to secure them to your 4runner or truck. so that they didn't fly around.

The product has a three year warrenty. I have had sand tubes that didn't make it through the winter, This product is easy to store. I have stored sand tubes in my garage. only to have them in the way later. Cinderblocks behind the garage, also a nucience to mow around. I am simply saying that it apperas to be a fair product for the money. Compaired to sand bags and cinder blocks, and is a lot less of a night mare to deal with in summer.

As far as tire chains, they work great on ice and deep snow. Some areas of the country won't allow tire chains, or if one would come loose you could cause some damage to your Truck or 4Runner. If you are running larger tires, you will have a hard time finding any that do fits big tire. They are also filthy to work with and can be a pain in the rear to store.

Another option in the line of chains are studded snow tires. They work great on ice and packed snow. Some states won't allow studs and other's are aonly allowed in the winter season, and have to be removed by a certain date. Also a pain in the rear to store.

As far as not knowing what I am talking about I have had 4x4 trucks for the last 30 years, This is my first 4Runner. I also don't have a swimming pool or a cover that isn't suppose to freeze. I don't want a pool in the northern climate. I also don't need to take a "chill pill," since I am not into being all hot, or upset about this topic. I just looked at at the link and though what a good idea it was. Thay's all there is. I am not Complaining and I am not looking for any grief from the rest of you. I was simply stating what the company had to offer.

Let me go on and simply state that I have and do enjoy this web site. I also like everyone I have met or asked questions here. I find this site to be a great sorce of reference to the differnt mods that can be done to a Toyota 4 Runner. I know that everyone here has different taste, and I fully respect that. I only offer something if I feel that it can be of some use to someone. I don't expect everyone to agree with me or as far as that goes. I probally will find that I don't agree with others. But this is America and we have the right to not agree on all subjects. With that in mind you can rest assured that I would do any and all that can be done to protect that right for all even if they don't agree with me!!! Thanks for reading this. TJ
Old 11-16-2006, 03:01 AM

I guess you all have misinterperted my post and thus have been making myself an easy target for your replies.

Let me simply state that I am not affilated or do I have anything at stake in the sale of this product.

I am simply saying that it is a good idea, you fill the thing with water. That's all. you can add a simple amount of bio-degradble anti freeze, if you desire it to keep from freezing. It is only 10 gallon of the antifreeze in a 40 gallon of water. It will not leave a toxic mess when dumping out. It is a simular antifreeze you use in a RV and isn't very expensive.

It drains out. in the spring. So you don't have to find out how much it weighs to store.

As far as leaking it has two layers protecting it from punchuring, the large one is only 50 gal. I wouldn't worrie about freezing. It has been designed for freezing and has lots of space left after filling for expanshion. You do have to "burp," it like a water bed. If it does leak, and run all over the interior of your 4Runner, it's only water. If that happens in the bed of your Truck, no problem. You use water to wash your truck. Water only expans so much reguardless how cold it is. It doesn't keep rising. If it does leak in your 4 runner the size that they design for the sport utliity is only 10 gal. so you aren't going to have old faithful going off back there. You can use a wet dry vac or simply let it dry. It isn't going to hurt anything.

I have purchased sand tubes in the past, and they weren't inexpensive nor are cinderblocks, plus to get the same weight as in 400lbs one would have to have several cinderblocks to stack in there to get 400lbs and sand tubes come in either 40lbs or 70lbs you would have to have. Six tubes at 70lbs or ten of the 40lbs tubes plus a way to secure them to your 4runner or truck. so that they didn't fly around.

The product has a three year warrenty. I have had sand tubes that didn't make it through the winter, This product is easy to store. I have stored sand tubes in my garage. only to have them in the way later. Cinderblocks behind the garage, also a nucience to mow around. I am simply saying that it apperas to be a fair product for the money. Compaired to sand bags and cinder blocks, and is a lot less of a night mare to deal with in summer.

As far as tire chains, they work great on ice and deep snow. Some areas of the country won't allow tire chains, or if one would come loose you could cause some damage to your Truck or 4Runner. If you are running larger tires, you will have a hard time finding any that do fits big tire. They are also filthy to work with and can be a pain in the rear to store.

Another option in the line of chains are studded snow tires. They work great on ice and packed snow. Some states won't allow studs and other's are aonly allowed in the winter season, and have to be removed by a certain date. Also a pain in the rear to store.

As far as not knowing what I am talking about I have had 4x4 trucks for the last 30 years, This is my first 4Runner. I also don't have a swimming pool or a cover that isn't suppose to freeze. I don't want a pool in the northern climate. I also don't need to take a "chill pill," since I am not into being all hot, or upset about this topic. I just looked at at the link and though what a good idea it was. Thay's all there is. I am not Complaining and I am not looking for any grief from the rest of you. I was simply stating what the company had to offer.

Let me go on and simply state that I have and do enjoy this web site. I also like everyone I have met or asked questions here. I find this site to be a great sorce of reference to the differnt mods that can be done to a Toyota 4 Runner. I know that everyone here has different taste, and I fully respect that. I only offer something if I feel that it can be of some use to someone. I don't expect everyone to agree with me or as far as that goes. I probally will find that I don't agree with others. But this is America and we have the right to not agree on all subjects. With that in mind you can rest assured that I would do any and all that can be done to protect that right for all even if they don't agree with me!!! Thanks for reading this. TJ

I dont think anyone was picking on you personally... just stating our opinions about the product. I have known about it for years and never thought it was a good idea. 4 or 5 70 lb bags of sand is pretty cheap and work great...

As far as a 4runner.. I never saw the need to add extra weight to my 95.. weight distro is almost 50/50... and when driving on ice, espically going skiing.. i could do almost all of it in 2wd w/out slipage....

And there are chains available for tires at least 35".... The ones I have now fit a 32-33" tire...
Old 11-16-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine just fills up with snow