Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

*Help* In the middle of tranny cooler install, have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I'd put on the outside of the condenser next to the grill down low in the center. Look where I put mine. Works fine and I have had no problems.
The instructions that came with my cooler said that mounting in front of the condenser was 100% efficient, in front of radiator is 75%, and benind radiator is 60%. However, when I put my hand in front of the A/C condenser then behind it with the engine running, I feel the most air movement behind the condenser where the instructions say there's only 75% efficiency. I guessed that it must be based on getting the tranny cooler as far away from the engine block as possible, so I mounted it behind those slits in Tacoma's bumper. Thoughts?

UNR.Frosh, I hope by now it's a non-issue for you, but I lost at least a quart of tranny fluid as well. Put a quart back in and its still low... Perhaps another step to add to write-up is to fill the cooler with water then drain into a measuring cup to see exactly how much more fluid to add (in addition to measuring whats lost during install).

I guess I'm the only other one on here that went with the Imperial brand stacked plate cooler. According to Advance Auto guys, it's made by Hayden, but it seems to be consistently cheaper for a given size
Old 06-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RebuiltRunner
UNR.Frosh, I hope by now it's a non-issue for you, but I lost at least a quart of tranny fluid as well. Put a quart back in and its still low... Perhaps another step to add to write-up is to fill the cooler with water then drain into a measuring cup to see exactly how much more fluid to add (in addition to measuring whats lost during install).

I guess I'm the only other one on here that went with the Imperial brand stacked plate cooler. According to Advance Auto guys, it's made by Hayden, but it seems to be consistently cheaper for a given size
It all worked out, but on every write-up they mentioned a small amount coming out, I do not think a small amount is more than a quart.

Imperial is made by hayden, it says on the box or atleast it said on my box. Even the materials in my cooler kit said hayden on them, BTW what size did you go with? I think I went with a little over kill, but better safe than sorry
Old 06-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Tranny fluid

Yeah, I was expecting more to come out, but my rig had sat overnight and was completely cold. I lost maybe a half a spray paint plastic top full at the most.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:59 PM

I got the 11x11. Size wasn't an issue where I mounted it. would've been nice if it were longer, less square to match the bumber slits. But it's there now, and I ain't messing with it for a while.
Put a quart of ATF back in and I was still getting almost no reading on the dipstick. To it Groovy Lube 'cuz I was getting anxious ("I must not be reading this right"). He added anotger quart. Checked it cold and fluid was all the way up to hot. I'll do a proper test later, but I expect I'll be draining some out tonight. Does "cool" on the tranny dipstick refer to fluid that's been warmed up for 10 miles or fluid in vehicle that's been sitting still long too cool all the way down?
Old 06-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RebuiltRunner
I guessed that it must be based on getting the tranny cooler as far away from the engine block as possible,
No, it's based on the direction of air flow and what's in front of the tranny cooler. If the tranny cooler is in the front, then it's getting the coldest air possible. If it's behind the radiator, then the air hitting the tranny cooler has been warmed up by the radiator and air conditioner heat exchanger. Likewise, when you put the tranny cooler in the front, the tranny cooler heats up the air before the air hits the radiator.

Put a quart back in and its still low... Perhaps another step to add to write-up is to fill the cooler with water then drain into a measuring cup to see exactly how much more fluid to add (in addition to measuring whats lost during install).
Why not just fill it up until it's reading correctly on the dipstick?

Per the manual, the "cool" indicator is just a reference. The official measurement should be made while the engine is hot. Are you measuring it when the engine is running?
Old 06-18-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150

Why not just fill it up until it's reading correctly on the dipstick?
Tried that. reading on dipstick looks crazy. trying to make sure not to put too much in. Anybody know if the drain and fill capacity of the tranny is 1.7 quarts like me Haynes tells me?
Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Per the manual, the "cool" indicator is just a reference. The official measurement should be made while the engine is hot. Are you measuring it when the engine is running?
Cold, hot, just warmed up. I've looked at it a bunch of different ways. Probably will just take it in for a flush and fill 'fore I head up to NY...

Has anybody experienced better MPG after the cooler?