Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help with keyless remote (03 Tacoma) Too short range?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with keyless remote (03 Tacoma) Too short range?

Hi
I just purchased my new Tacoma Prerunner and have this issue with keyless remote controls.

The thing is I have to be in about 2 feet radius of the truck in order to open the doors via keyless remote. In my opinion, this remote control range is just too short. My jetta's remote control works beyond 20 feet.

Anyone had this problem?? Is it related to the remote control itself or the keyless entry system inside the truck??

Please advise.
Thanks.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

I think everyone has that problem. I attempted to splice the antenna from my RS3000 alarm to a wire, but it didn't extend the range.

If you put the remote so it touches your head, it will have a longer range.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SLC Punk

If you put the remote so it touches your head, it will have a longer range.
:wtf: You smokin?
I think you just want to see how many people you can get to walk around with their remote up against their head.
I'd rather walk a couple extra feet than to be caught pressing my remote up against my head.:pat:
Old 10-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Bud

MY 03 tacoma has only a 3ft range. 5ft on a good day.

It is true though if you put your remote on your chin it will increase the range. Well it worked on my previous vehicles with clifford and viper alarms.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Where are you all measuring from? The range depends on the sensor location which I think is in the front of the vehicle. I have a good 20 or so feet range from the front and maybe 10ft if I'm coming from the back. I don't see why you need so much range anyway, you don't get in your truck any sooner by unlocking the doors from 50ft.
I also don't understand the whole concept of putting your remote up to your chin or head and getting more range. I honestly would lmao if I saw someone walking up to their car with the remote up agianst their chin . Oh well, to each, his own I guess.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Holding the remote to your chin does work!
This was a topic just last week - I think Mark aka midiwall explained that if you hold it to a part of your body that has a bone on the other side of the skin then you are in effect using your entire body as an antenna.

I guess it's kind of like when you're adjusting rabbit ears or your radio and reception always degrades the minute you let go?

I'm not sure, I should let the experts speak
Old 10-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Rayday81
:wtf: You smokin?
I think you just want to see how many people you can get to walk around with their remote up against their head.
I'd rather walk a couple extra feet than to be caught pressing my remote up against my head.:pat:

When I first heard it, I didn't believe it either. But it works.

Another odd thing that was recommended to me. When you have wax on your textured black fender flares, peanut butter and a tooth brush will take it off. To my suprise it worked...
Old 10-03-2003, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I also don't understand the whole concept of putting your remote up to your chin or head and getting more range.
Yes, my pretties, it does work. Laugh all you want---you'll get the added range.

I have this short range remote/antenna problem too w/ my RS3000 alarm. I tried two things:

a) hooked up a stereo antenna wire through the length of my 4runner above the headliner. Marginal improvement but it had rattles so I removed it

b) extending the grey alarm antenna wire under the dash panel. No improvement

After doing the sound deadening mod, I tapped the diversity antenna wire (located near the right rear cargo window) and strung the wire to the front of my 4runner. Its just a matter of hooking it up to the grey alarm antenna wire. When I do it, I'll let you all know the results. Supposedly this is supposed to work much better by some say, a magnitude of 5-10x.

And yes, peanut butter works like wonders to get wax off textured body panels. Creamy is best.

Bob
Old 10-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Hell must be freezing over 'cause I have to admit that I was wrong. I doubted the witchcraft used to extend the range of your remote, aka- Hold it to your block and well, it worked.
Crazy stuff, but hey you all were right and I was wrong to doubt you.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
PB

Originally posted by SLC Punk

When I first heard it, I didn't believe it either. But it works.

Another odd thing that was recommended to me. When you have wax on your textured black fender flares, peanut butter and a tooth brush will take it off. To my suprise it worked...
That is from the Griot's detailing handbook...which you can download for free from their site on the product services page.

I was reading it last night and saw that in there about the PB.

Brian
Old 10-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Not witchcraft...

Originally posted by Rayday81
Hell must be freezing over 'cause I have to admit that I was wrong. I doubted the witchcraft used to extend the range of your remote, aka- Hold it to your block and well, it worked.
Crazy stuff, but hey you all were right and I was wrong to doubt you.
Not witchcraft or voodoo my friend, but that dreaded subject feared by all college engineering freshmen students everywhere...PHYSICS 105!

Like they said, it's about making yourself a booster antenna for the signal. If you don't like sticking the remote on your head, try sticking the remote on your rear, or better yet, your girlfriend;s rear, that way you won't look funny walking in the parking lot...

I play a game with my 3 year old and I stick it to his head and use him as a booster! He thinks it is hilarious that I touch his head and the truck goes "beep, beep"!!!

Brian
Old 10-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Bud

If you don't like sticking the remote on your head, try sticking the remote on your rear, or better yet, your girlfriend;s rear, that way you won't look funny walking in the parking lot...
Old 10-03-2003, 12:51 PM

does anyone have a writeup for this "sticking the remote to your head" mod??? i'd like to see pictures to get the technique right! thanks!!