Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hanson Enterprises 3rd gen rear bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTdawgs
resurrecting an old thread...

• 1st, that webshots page is mine. Thanks for the bike compliments!

• 2nd, That Hanson bumper was the only one of it's kind, I did post pics a few years ago on 4x4wire to gauge interest and then as now, people scoffed at the price. Of course most of the people who scoff at the price have very little appreciation for quality fab work (most likely due to never having actually both operated a business and spent the better part of 30 years perfecting their trade like Wayne and so many others). Wayne actually broke even on that bumper. When a guy like Wayne has to limit production of his staple products (Jeep/Early Bronco bumpers) to do custom work, he loses lots of $$$ fast. How many jigged bumpers can he make in the same amount of time as one custom job? Probably 5-7 maybe more! I'm not trying to give a business 101 class but you guys should really think twice before commenting negatively on prices. If you want top-quality, you will pay for it. I'm really trying not to sound harsh here but it's contradictory when so many people post about the apparent quality of Wayne's bumper and then totally freak out at the price (That was a one-off price production would be much less ~$1000-ish). There is no need to take the price personally, instead you could simply post that a bumper of that quality is outside of your budget and/or not cost effective in your opinion.

• 3rd, That bumper was bit tight to the body, it did mount to the frame, but in this case I think it may have actually mounted to the body as well. Since this bumper was effectively a prototype, I'm sure that a production model would only mount to the frame and allow more clearance for shifting. However that bumper will never see production for a few reasons. Wayne is however working with us to prototype a Tacoma/4Runner front bumper as we speak, you can see the one prototype in existence on our website mounted to the Red Tacoma. That bumper should come in around $600-$1000 depending on options. Look for it to be available in the coming months!

Lots of pics here
Old 09-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Lately, with all this talk about a good quality rear bumper at an affordable price, I've pondered the idea of writing up an autocad file of my bumper. I could farm out 90% of the work and still keep the cost well below the record $2300 mark. To make a viable product for the average consumer, you have to keep the cost within reason. Trailcarnage had one of the most promising bumper designs and hopefully the company that purchased the rights will go through with production. Steve's bumper production is going strong, his product is simple and functional, but the cost is very reasonable, that's why he's doing so well.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:40 PM

I would be very curious to know what's happening with the "Trail Carnage" bumper design. That looked really nice. I hope to see it in the after-market soon.

Steve's product is relatively simple and very functional, however it lacks the man-hours that a bumper like Hanson's does. And that is what makes Hanson's bumper look better than factory IMO. Hanson's bumper has fluid lines, recessed lights, etc. Also Steve isn't operating a full-scale business with high overhead to overcome (not a negative, just a difference). On the flip side, I think it's great that 3rd gen owners have such an affordable option available to them, that is indisputably good!

One thing that no one can avoid however (even home garage fabricators) is the ever increasing cost of raw materials!
Old 09-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

i saw one of those hanson bumpers on a 4runner in san francisco. i was wondering who made it, now i know.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by calrockx
i saw one of those hanson bumpers on a 4runner in san francisco. i was wondering who made it, now i know.
Sounds like you saw the only one...
Old 09-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Lately, with all this talk about a good quality rear bumper at an affordable price, I've pondered the idea of writing up an autocad file of my bumper. I could farm out 90% of the work and still keep the cost well below the record $2300 mark. To make a viable product for the average consumer, you have to keep the cost within reason. Trailcarnage had one of the most promising bumper designs and hopefully the company that purchased the rights will go through with production. Steve's bumper production is going strong, his product is simple and functional, but the cost is very reasonable, that's why he's doing so well.
Good idea Bruce, do it! I want to get one
Old 09-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan
Good idea Bruce, do it! I want to get one
Don't expect it anytime soon, I have way too many other project to complete before then.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Don't expect it anytime soon, I have way too many other project to complete before then.
Nah it's fine, I got a welder that can probably fab it up from looking at the pictures, so i'm not too worried about it, but you could probably make some good money if you sold them.