Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FX35 bi-xenon Projector retrofit in a 3rd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FX35 bi-xenon Projector retrofit in a 3rd Gen 4Runner

Ok..so after i finished my black headlight mod, I decided to move forward with the HID conversion using the FX35 projector housing. Here is where i am at. Please give me any advise that you can offer to help me with the mod.

The FX35 Projectors w/ the one on the R side has been cut down to fit the headlight assembly better. I cut the housing with a dremel and a cutting wheel.

A picture of the washer which will support the color mod that supposedly gives a nice color to the cut-off but takes away from the sharpness. I've been told maybe this isn't the way to do it?! anyone got insight on this?

Here is the enlarged hole cut with a 2 3/4 in hole cutter.

Here is the mock-up without any mounting yet.

The shroud is off a $5 sidewalk light from Home Depot.

I am practicing on my old headlights in case i F* up the new black ones i just installed. Once i figure out the alignment issue i will put them in my new black ones. If anyone can give some feedback on how to mount them so they are level or such please let me know. THX for looking.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:01 PM

Looks pretty good so far. Good Job!
Old 03-29-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
wait let me get this right ??
you have a 4x4
you lowered it
and its now a street queen ???
well to him his own
i would only do all that to a 2wd
but it still looks clean regardless
not bashing
just my .02
good luck with the hids though
Old 03-29-2008, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. I'm looking into a bi-xenon setup as well, probably using BMW E46 projectors. I'm just totally against hacking up the wiring in my 4Runner. You're probably not going to get that much good advice on this forum on your progress. Hang out HID Planet, there you'll get some good direction.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:46 PM

I REALLY REALLY want to do the HID conversion, but its too expensive for me...

haha

Good luck though, it looks like your well on your way!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 PM

conversions can be done for under 200 bucks...not very expensive at all
Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by hiloracerboy84
conversions can be done for under 200 bucks...not very expensive at all
I don't see how using quality OEM bi-xenon projectors.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 PM

yeah...

I mean new headlights (the cool JDM black ones that are clear, mine are the frosted 98 version)

-$150
-$100 for good projectors
-$200 for OEM ballasts and harnesses
-$40 for bulbs

Not so cheap.... :-/
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 PM

yeah, the new headlights are a pain...
fx's are cheap, and if you didnt go oem, you could get a ballast/d2s setup for like 75 bucks from ebay. i know two people who went the ebay ballast/bulb route and they've been happy for over 2 years. ill be trying a similar path w/ the 50w setup ill be messing with.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
wait let me get this right ??
you have a 4x4
you lowered it
and its now a street queen ???
well to him his own
i would only do all that to a 2wd
but it still looks clean regardless
not bashing
just my .02
good luck with the hids though
Why does eveyone always call the Street 4Runner's, "Street Queens." When you say "Queen" it makes me think of ride that is pimped out that a female would drive, something like this..

I would consider SHONUUP's ride a Street King, not a queen, because he's obviously not a female and his ride does not look girly in any way, am I making any sense?
Old 03-30-2008, 12:12 AM

Hey man, I'd say that you're doing a great job. I don't have any experience w/ the FX projectors, but maybe Pfdaxe will chime in on how he did his color mod...

When working on getting a perfect horizontal alignment, I basically just aligned it the best I could, drilled the holes to mount the projector, and then I put them on my rig to test it. Then you can make some minor adjustments before tightening them down and sealing them up. Worked well for me. Just check and double check, before finishing because you WILL notice it when all is said and done.

But really, great work so far. I'd say it's pretty hard to screw it up, so just don't rush it and it'll turn out great
Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Looks good. I'm looking into a bi-xenon setup as well, probably using BMW E46 projectors. I'm just totally against hacking up the wiring in my 4Runner. You're probably not going to get that much good advice on this forum on your progress. Hang out HID Planet, there you'll get some good direction.
I'm just curious, why would you hack into any wiring? All you need is a harness which connects to the battery and plugs into your existing wiring... No hacking required whatsoever So just do it already! You've been talking about doing this forever

But yeah, HIDPlanet has loads of info and people who are more than happy to answer your questions, although if you're looking for vehicle specific info the few of us who have done retrofits here on Yotatech will be more than happy to try and help you out...
Old 03-30-2008, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
I'm just curious, why would you hack into any wiring? All you need is a harness which connects to the battery and plugs into your existing wiring... No hacking required whatsoever So just do it already! You've been talking about doing this forever

But yeah, HIDPlanet has loads of info and people who are more than happy to answer your questions, although if you're looking for vehicle specific info the few of us who have done retrofits here on Yotatech will be more than happy to try and help you out...
Your setup is one of the nicest I've seen on a 4Runner. Did you do a DIY writeup in your thread? I'll have to search it out. I've been contemplating doing a TSX retrofit on my Prelude and an E46 bi-xenon on my 4Runner, I've just not actually gathered the materials yet.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by hiloracerboy84
yeah, the new headlights are a pain...
fx's are cheap, and if you didnt go oem, you could get a ballast/d2s setup for like 75 bucks from ebay. i know two people who went the ebay ballast/bulb route and they've been happy for over 2 years. ill be trying a similar path w/ the 50w setup ill be messing with.
Putting HID bulbs in the stock housings with no cutoff is ghetto and illegal. Let's keep this thread on track with the discussion on a proper HID setup using the proper projectors.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 PM

Putting HID bulbs in the stock housings with no cutoff is ghetto and illegal. Let's keep this thread on track with the discussion on a proper HID setup using the proper projectors.
I think he means buying the cheaper aftermarket ballasts instead of using OEM ballasts; but still utilizing the D2S bulbs and projectors. That's one way to save some money on a retrofit.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:18 PM

Your setup is one of the nicest I've seen on a 4Runner. Did you do a DIY writeup in your thread? I'll have to search it out. I've been contemplating doing a TSX retrofit on my Prelude and an E46 bi-xenon on my 4Runner, I've just not actually gathered the materials yet.
Hey thanks man, I appreciate it. I never did a write-up, but there are a few out there, and I followed the same basic steps that they did. If there is a need for a more thorough walk-through of the steps then I could probably help out. There is a ton of info in that thread though. As for your upcoming retrofits, I'd say good luck and just do them already!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 AM

All you need to know

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...w-pics-133563/

http://wecool.net/home/lights/4runnerretro.htm

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...er=asc&start=0

Doing the o-ring/spacer mod adds a cleaner/sharper blue cut-off.