Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel Injector removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DuB
That's a relief! I guess I'll just take mine off. Or maybe trim them so they look nicer.

I can't wait to get them back! I gotta mail them out first though.. lol

If you have an Ohm meter, just test them out anyways. It couldn't hurt. I ended up replacing 3 within a year. 2 in April and 1 in January

Last edited by kmchby76; 03-06-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:51 PM
DuB

shoot... I already have them all wrapped up and ready to go. What should the Ohm reading be anyway? How many miles did you have on them when they went out? I'm at around 140K right now.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by DuB
shoot... I already have them all wrapped up and ready to go. What should the Ohm reading be anyway? How many miles did you have on them when they went out? I'm at around 140K right now.
I believe it;s around 13.5Ohms. I had about 170K or so on the first 2. I sent my original set out for service and had to replace 2 there. $49 each. The last one I replaced was at about 180K. I replaced it with one from the junk yard.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:42 AM
DuB

What's an acceptable value? 5 of mine were at 12.5Ohms, and one was a little lower, around 12.1 or so. I forgot to pay attention to which one was the new one, so I don't know if the oddball is it. And I accidentally threw out the clogged one that the stealer removed! DOH! I hope the new one doesn't flow too much differently than the old ones...

Last edited by DuB; 03-07-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:09 AM

This is from Midiwall in another misfire post, and it was a faulty fuel injector:

Originally Posted by midiwall
...and you're looking for a resistance of 13-16ohms across the coil. Too much more than that and it won't open all the way (or at all) when it's time, any less and the ECU is working too hard and you'll run the risk of burning it up.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:07 PM
DuB

Hmm, I hope my injectors are okay. Hopefully, Gordon@Witchhunter will let me know if anything is wrong...
Old 03-08-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DuB
Hmm, I hope my injectors are okay. Hopefully, Gordon@Witchhunter will let me know if anything is wrong...
Dude... Gordon LOVES talking about injectors.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by DuB
when I removed the coolant hoses from the throttle body, it leaked a little, and gurgled. I was wondering, when I reinstall them, how do I get those bubbles out, or is it okay to have a little bit of air in the coolant lines?
Easiest way to bleed/burp is to elevate the front end with ramps or a curb making the radiator filler throat higher then the rest of the cooling system.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
DuB

shoot. I just reread this thread and I didn't notice that I need new intake manifold gaskets. Can I get away with not replacing them? If not, where's the best place to buy them from? I found this on ebay...

Also, when I'm reinstalling the injectors, do the grommets and o-rings need to be lubricated w/ oil or anything before I put them back in?

Last edited by DuB; 03-15-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by DuB
shoot. I just reread this thread and I didn't notice that I need new intake manifold gaskets. Can I get away with not replacing them?
Point of clarification first... It's my impression that we're talking about the gasket that fits between the bottom half of the intake _plenum_ and the top of the intake _manifold_. If so, then I say "no, you don't have to replace it", only 'cause I've never had an issue with mine the gajillion times I had the top end apart.

Now, this is NOT the case with what I would call the manifold gasket_s_ which seal the space between the intake manifold and the engine block. THOSE are an issue 'cause of the heat that they're subjected to.

I found this on ebay...
That's fine, but it's overkill. You'd want that gasket set when you're rebuilding the whole top end.

Also, when I'm reinstalling the injectors, do the grommets and o-rings need to be lubricated w/ oil or anything before I put them back in?
Yes... If you install the o-rings & grommets dry they will be more subject to pinching and cracking.

Using a bit of Vaseline isn't a bad idea. There's actually a grease that's sold for the purpose, but _I_ think Vaseline works just as well. PLEASE wait for others to share their opinion about that.

So.. I take it you got your injectors back from Gordon? How'd the report look?

Last edited by midiwall; 03-15-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:17 PM
DuB

woah, I did a search on Amazon for "Intake Gasket 5vzfe" (who knew Amazon sold car parts? Not me!) and it came up with a bunch of results, many of which are CHEAP. Are these usable?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by DuB
woah, I did a search on Amazon for "Intake Gasket 5vzfe" (who knew Amazon sold car parts? Not me!) and it came up with a bunch of results, many of which are CHEAP. Are these usable?
That $12 price seems low, even for discount online buying. I'd be careful... Check the one you have in your hand, see how it's layered? I dunno nuttin' about what that gasket is like on Amazon.

Last edited by midiwall; 03-16-2007 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 PM
DuB

Ahh Mark to the rescue again!
Oh yeah, I guess I was referring to the wrong thing. The gaskets between the plenum and the manifold. AWESOME! That's a mistake that I'm glad I made because now I can put the truck back together!

Yeah, they actually came in yesterday but I wasn't home to sign for them since I was at work. I went and picked them up from the post office today at lunch though (my roommate's been driving me around for the past two weeks! Good thing he works with me too!) The new injector flows 252 cc/min while the others are 242-244. He said, "[The new injector] flows a abit higher than any that we have ever tested, including new ones. It is useable but not a good match. It might throw a code. The others match very well." Well, I don't really see what choice I have so I'm just going to put it back together and see what happens. At least it flows a little more than others. Running a little rich is better than running a bit lean right?

How can you tell if the o-rings and grommets are pinched? I already popped them in, and stuck the fuel rail on top, I just need to bolt it down. They seem okay so far. Should I pull them and lube them?

Thanks for all the help!!

*edit - the previous post was before I had refreshed and seen your reply. Sorry for the confusion.

**edit - I know I have some other lubes too: some general purpose grease from radio shack, some thin oil from R/C cars, white lithium grease for the truck's antenna motor

***edit - Oh, the injectors look brand new now, too! Gives you that warm fuzzy feeling...

Last edited by DuB; 03-15-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:12 AM
Contributing Member

You're probably ok on the o-rings but if you want to be sure, you can pull the assembly again and lube them with vaseline (spare me the gross jokes guys). The vaseline will dissolve pretty quickly once the gas starts flowing through the injector since it is petroleum based and won't hurt the o-rings you just installed.

That is really strange the new injector flowed that much. I assume the injector was an OEM from the dealer? I don't think it will throw a code, but yes, it is pretty poorly matched. You usually want all the injectors within 1-2% (of the median flow number which in your case is about 243 cc's....so the biggest flow number you'd want to see would be about 247 cc's) and ideally less than 1% (the closer the better), but the one you have just just outside the limit (about 3.7%).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 03-16-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:09 AM

DuB; if you haven't tightened down the rail yet, then I'd pull it up and grease the grommets and o-rings. You won't be able to tell if they're pinched until you smell fuel when you start the engine. And the nasty part of the pinch will happen when you tighten down the rail. Ya' know?

Like Jamie said, that injector is pretty high... Do you remember where you put it? If you're gonna run it, then I'd put it at the point farthest from the inlet to the fuel rail. Correct me Jaime, but I think that'd be the front cylinder on the passenger side.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Like Jamie said, that injector is pretty high... Do you remember where you put it? If you're gonna run it, then I'd put it at the point farthest from the inlet to the fuel rail. Correct me Jaime, but I think that'd be the front cylinder on the passenger side.
I'd put it on the easiest spot to get at (which would be the front passenger side) so that if there is an issue, you don't have to pull the entire intake again (just the top half) to get it out. As Mark pointed out, this location will also give you the best chance of having it not throw a code.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:01 AM
DuB

Well, I ended up buttoning everything up last night. My battery had died, but after I jumped it, I was actually sorta surprised that it started. I guess I ought to have more faith in myself. hahaha

Yeah, the injector is a new one from the dealer. It's weird that I happened to get one that flows that much more...

It's currently in the location that is the easiest to get to (cylinder 3), but not furthest on the fuel rail. The fuel rail goes: fuel in > 6 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 5

I guess I'll just drive it around and see what happens. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by DuB
I guess I'll just drive it around and see what happens.
If you don't smell fuel, you're pretty much good to go. I've pinched a couple of grommets and a couple of more O-rings. You KNOW when you've got a problem.

CONGRATS MAN!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 PM
DuB

I'll keep a nose out for fuel under the hood

Thanks for all the help!