Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front mask on 4runner to protect against damage from bugs and rocks,good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front mask on 4runner to protect against damage from bugs and rocks,good idea?

In the past I've experience damage to my vehicles from those black bugs which erode your paint and from rocks while traveling the highway. Now that I have my dream truck I want to protect it so I'm thinking about buying a front mask. Are there any negatives such as paint damage from using a mask,what are the pros and cons?

Proud owner of a 2004 Sport edition 4wd v8 4runner in black.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:11 AM

I'd get a bug deflector to protect the leading edge of your hood, and just keep up with the detailing. I've yet to see a front end mask - on any car - that fits well and looks better than no mask at all. IMO, of course.

There are also "clear bras/masks" for many cars out there. They are a thick mil plastic that adheres to the car. I've seen them on BMWs and Porsches. They're almost unnoticeable, yet protect the paint from dings/bugs/etc.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:07 AM

RockBlocker.....

I was concerned about damage to the front of my 2004 SE during a drive around the country. My wife and I did 8,500 miles with the clear 3M product from RockBlocker.com and it really helped out with rocks and bugs. I installed it myself and it turned our pretty good. I actually covered most of the bumper, the leading edge of the hood and the front of the side mirrors. Now on the down side, I clipped a deer in Texas so I am having a new bumper put on. The high side of that was that I removed the film from the hood and mirrors and it really peeled off easily. I had intended on leaving it on after the trip but I wanted the paint to match the bumper and the hood with no issue so I removed the film. I plan to replace the film once I get the car back. I was really pleased with the results of the film and the paint under the film was in fantastic shape. On the fabric bra side of things, my sister had one that kept getting mold/mildew under it and it left black markings on the paint. The marks would come off but sort of annoying.....

For anyone interested.... pics and comments about driving a 2004 4Runner 8,500 miles and hitting a deer will be posted soon....
Old 11-27-2004, 09:37 AM

Good tip guys! I'll look into that rockblocker to price how much it will cost. Might be the best way to go considering the limitations with time not to mention weather conditions.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Clear bras can run a few hundred bucks and they need time to cure and in the cold it isn't the time to do one.

I'd just get the bug guard and keep more money in your wallet.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Banned

I havemost of my front clip (Full Fenders, Full Hood, Flares) and mirrors covered in Xpel. Its a clear covering they put on. Usually they just cover the front most 6" of teh car but I got it custom done to cover the entire thing. ~40k and not one paint chip...
Old 11-28-2004, 10:30 AM

Bras IMO are not a good idea. holds water, soap, trash, moisture, drit,leaves, underneath it. Wich could cause rust, in the long run. Same thing with liners in trucks. I bought a Tacoma with a bed liner first thing i did was take it out. To see the underneath of it had rubbed the paint of the bed of the truck. there was piles of leaves on the outside edges. and dirt everywhere under it. needless to say where it laps over the bed sides has rubbed the paint off there as well. so trash and stuff can get under it. but just my opionin
Old 11-28-2004, 10:57 AM

I use a bra for my 02 sequoia only on long trips. The problem with them is that most people do not use them correctly. They are not supposed to stay on in the rain. Once or twice is fine, but like most people have stated, they get moldy.

It's definitely a good, quick, and cheaper fix.

tips on using it...

1. Only use on longer trips. using around town or everyday driving will not see many bugs.
2. Take off when raining. There aren't many bugs (nor rocks) in the rain. It's okay to have on in light rain, or when it starts raining, but take off and dry as soon as possible.
3. Take off in extreme heat. The paint will not fair well covered under something that absorbs heat.

(if you have the funds and time to install, get the clear protector)