Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Squeeeeky headliner....

Old 06-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Squeeeeky headliner....

**Ok, my 2000 has a squeeeeky headliner and it is driving me crazy. I think its from the loadwarrior up top w/ the additional bikes... I bugs me soo bad I want to shoot a sheet rock screw through the liner to shut it up.. **

Enough of the rant, I have detemined the problem to be above the pass rear door.. I have no ideas how to shut this beast up?? Anyone seen this or dealt with this one before??? Ideas??

Chris
Old 06-10-2002, 12:05 PM

just a thought but how about a little clear silicon caulk and stick it down
Old 06-10-2002, 01:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Good One!

Ohh thats a good idea Mark!! I only wonder if there would be any bleed through if through the liner..
Old 06-10-2002, 06:45 PM

Maybe try contact cement. That would dry alot faster, maybe less bleed...if any and will hold probably alot better! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 06-11-2002, 11:23 AM

hmmm

I think i am with you on that Ryan .I thought that the load warrior was on the outside (as in rack on the roof type thing) but for the inside ,I would probably go with the contact to stick the headlining to the roof , or you could try a thin layer of foam or felt material.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:33 PM

Yeah, or maybe even some double sided tape, but that is basically what the contact cement does. I would give that a try, but just do a little at first to make sure that it does not bleed through. I don't think that it will, but it is better to be safe than sorry! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 06-13-2002, 10:17 AM

been there done that..

bout drove me nuts too; Took it back to the dealer 3 times and finally found it. There is a place where the headliner appearently rubs an edge against something... The dealer's explanation was difficult to understand / evasive... But they reisted to the end pulling down the H/L. It was temperature sensitive too, right in that same spot. Mine is a 2001.

good luck... once they fixed it, it has stayed fixed...

BS
Old 06-13-2002, 11:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

BS, what did they do when the pulled it down?
Old 06-13-2002, 01:00 PM

Boy, wish I could tell you but they kept it 2 days and were very secretive (or ignorant) about what was actually done. The way they walked, they may have trimmed something slightly, and he was talking about "camper tape"... I know the forst time they had it they tried stuffing foam in and around w/o much success (sheesh, *I* tried that...) Dis ask him about the sunroof drain tubes and he pretty much declared it wasn't that...

I think the problem was along the side, above the door and NOT next to the sunroof.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:33 AM
Contributing Member

I think I only hear mines sometimes, but when i do hear it, it drives me CRAZY
Old 06-24-2002, 09:28 AM

yeah, same for me... but it got worse as it cooled off up here. I bought my truck in august, and by nov - dec I was thoroughly disgusted by that noise. As usual it was hard to demonstrate it to them and they gave be a bunch od bs until by chance I found a place that I could get it to "perform" every time. Made the service tech ride w/ me and noyiced it was diminished but not gone, w/ a second person in the front. Even more of a problem finding it when he rode in back while I drove. When we finally found it, he stopped it by pushing up on the headliner right about where it sounded like it was coming from... Even then, it took them 2 go's at it. They were reluctant to take the headliner down bcuz they said sometimes it squeaked more when they R & R'ed it.. But the did fix it... finally...
Old 06-24-2002, 11:47 PM

Hey guys,
I may have the answer to the squeaking problem.
I wanted to see how my factory bars looked like with my Yakima Load warrior. I put it on and was impressed that it looked more areodynamic. I was a little concerned because the base of the bars that slide into the tracks on the rails are made of hard plastic. I couldn't see them holding alot of weight.

Couple days later I put my Yakima Stealhead bike mount and loaded the bikes. As I was driving down the highway I started to get an awefull squeaking noise coming from the headliner or roof. The noise was too much to bare so I thought screw this Im putting my Yakima bars back on. Hell there was no problem with them anyways.

As I was removing the factory bars I wanted to see what may have caused the squeaking. Has I removed the bar I was checking out the base of the bar that slides into the tracks of the rails. It has these lips that slide under the track. This is what keeps the bars attached to the rails and the tightener just keeps it from moving. As I was saying earlier I was concerned that it was only made of a hard plastic.

I reinstalled the bars and tighten them down. Then I grabbed the front of the base part and started pulling at it.
Low and behold squeaky-squeaky-squeaky.

The tension that the plastic lips have against coated tracks is what I saw was causing the problem. Tested it on all four corners. Guess what I heard...yep.....squeaky-squeaky-squeaky.

Hope the photo gives you a better visual of where I was pulling at it. Also notice how the lips aren't wide enough for the tracks either. I wouldn't want to put much of a load on the factory roof rack with that cheesy setup.

I hope you find that this is the cause for yours as well.

Old 06-25-2002, 12:21 AM
Contributing Member

I don't have any bars
Old 06-25-2002, 07:07 AM

Yeah I know that noise. When I have the boats on top and it's bumpy I get squeaky - squeaky... The one that drove me gnuts was a tappa tappa near the passenger reat door, worse in cold and when first staring out in the AM, and definitely frequency specific i e didn't rattle on every bump, just certain "medium" ones...

geeez thank gawd it's gone... bs

Search this Thread