95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

F! Seat nut fell through!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:40 AM
mdh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
F! Seat nut fell through!

Hey,
soooo I was putting my driver's seat back in and one of the nuts fell out of its spot into the floor.
What the F do I do to fix this one?
I almost forgot ( not that it matters) that it is a 1998 4runner

Last edited by mdh; 01-20-2017 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Information
Old 01-20-2017, 02:21 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Same thing happened on my Ranger a while back. Drill the hole out and get a rivnut kit. You might need to use a larger size rivnut to be able to span that hole and a corresponding larger bolt to bolt the seat to the floor.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:18 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Which one.

Don't have a clear idea of which one that is or how it was attached. Could probably use a broader photo, and better description.

Front or rear? Inner or outer? What does the intact one on the other seat look like?

If it's a blind hole the rivet nut, or welding are your only options. If you have access to the backside you can use an array of fender washers to step down to the right bolt size.

Like so.

​​​​​​
Old 01-20-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took a 3/8" bit and drilled through the floor pan, then installed a long 3/8" bolt, nut and fender washer. Slobber with RTV underneath and it's been good for the last four years.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
I took a 3/8" bit and drilled through the floor pan, then installed a long 3/8" bolt, nut and fender washer. Slobber with RTV underneath and it's been good for the last four years.
Steeling/using that one for sure. Next time my two wheeler seats come out it's getting studded, because jacking it up to get at those under body nuts sucks. Added bonus I'll get a slightly higher seat cushion!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Did the same as The Durk with like results.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Stack you up another set of nut and fender washer on the end of a long bolt. Weld or JB Weld nut to washer. Apply some form of glue or fast weld to the back of the washer/ nut set. Slide it in there sideways, pull it up in place and let it set up. Then carefully thread your seat bolt through it. Once it's threaded, you've got it. You may end up with another nut and washer in the pan but good chance you'll get it to thread and have a half way descent anchor.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Don't have a clear idea of which one that is or how it was attached. Could probably use a broader photo, and better description.

Front or rear? Inner or outer? What does the intact one on the other seat look like?

If it's a blind hole the rivet nut, or welding are your only options. If you have access to the backside you can use an array of fender washers to step down to the right bolt size.

Like so. ​​​​​​
Did same on mine. Just not as pretty
Old 01-21-2017, 02:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I can only guess it was a bad weld from new.

You mean as you were torquing down the bolt it broke ??

Just what were you using to tighten it??

Just what does the rest of the floor look like under there ??
Old 01-21-2017, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9

Looking at it again I can make out some curves to the carpet depression. I guess it's a forward rail mount, the one inside the hump on the older models here is access cutouts on the rear of the hump.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9

It's just a bad design. The weld-nuts are just lightly tacked on there and they tend to rust, at least up north where condensation gets in the closed space inside the seat mount bump. It didn't take hardly any torque to pop mine loose when I was bolting the seat back in after a carpet swap. Common issue on these trucks.

If anybody takes their seat out, run a tap through those weld nuts before you put it back in and you may have better luck.

Last edited by TheDurk; 01-21-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a '98 4runner and just had two of these occur. The passenger seat front right never has really fit in properly, bolt stripped out. While trying to put in replacement bolt "plunk". Then just 2 days ago when trying to reach in my back pocket to remove my wallet, the drivers seat left front bolt went "plunk" so now I have both front seats short a seat bolt. So my question is the picture of the nut, washer, washer setup, how did you get it in and take the picture as well? Was trying to think of how to get JB Weld on the nut. Did you cut a larger hole under the seat plate so as to get the nut/washer combo in place? Can anyone tell me what the size/thread is for the seat nuts so I can pick up a tap?