Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Drove a first gen with a Supra swap this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a first gen with a Supra swap this weekend!

Holy crap that thing had some balls!! The motor was the turbo version and man did that turbo sound nice at about 5 grand. The Runner was a fairly stock looking 88. We drove around town a bit and then he took me out into the country and let me drive it. I don't know how fast the 0-60 time was but I know it was a WAAAAY lot faster than my 3.slow..haha Information on his particular truck can be found here Check out the races link it has a couple decent vids. I was pretty impressed with this guys work. He's a college student at the University of Idaho. He is currently working on an 86 runner to sell after he does the swap...hmmmmm.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:40 PM

Looks like a nice truck. Looks like he's very close to me too, I'll have to check it out.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Those videos are wild.
Very strange seeing a runner move like that
Old 09-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Not shabby but I was expecting more with that turbo motor,maybe a high 13 or something but that poor truck might have come apart with more boost.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

It was pulling 10 when I drove it. I get to take a ride in a 91 2WD with a Supercharged 3.4 in it tomorrow..woohoo... I will most likely go with the 3.4 for ease of installation. Planning on getting serious about looking for a motor here soon. My 3.0 needs a timing belt and clutch soon and I would rather use that money towards the swap.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:30 PM

thats pretty badass, i'll have to look for it, he's only 8 miles from me
Old 09-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UKMyers
It was pulling 10 when I drove it.

10psi? It could bump up a few more psi on that motor as long as he's got the fuel delivery too.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:47 AM

Hey my name is Mike, I am the guy with the first gen mentioned in the post. I have been running no intercooler, so 10 psi is really pushing it, though I was running 13-14 for a while. I have an upgraded turbo on the way, and an intercooler core sitting in the living room . After I build it up again it will be at least 350hp at the rear wheels, probably running 15 psi. But that will not be for a little while, I need to finish the other swap and then rebuild my tranny and then and then....

Thanks for the compliments, and yeah if someone wants to come by and check it out just let me know.
By the way I recommend the 7mgte swap over the 3.4 (5vze is it?) supercharged, but that is just my opinion. There is a lot of info/parts available to mod the 7mgte for huge power, and I doubt that there is the same for a 3.4 supercharged though I am not completely qualified to say so. Plus you don't have to shell out $3000 for a supercharger - you could get all of the parts you would need for a 7mgte swap for less than that including the engine. If anyone is considering doing one of these supra swaps, you can get some info on my site, and another great resource is Rob Jacksons site and forum
Old 09-08-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by GTE4runner
Hey my name is Mike, I am the guy with the first gen mentioned in the post. I have been running no intercooler, so 10 psi is really pushing it, though I was running 13-14 for a while. I have an upgraded turbo on the way, and an intercooler core sitting in the living room . After I build it up again it will be at least 350hp at the rear wheels, probably running 15 psi. But that will not be for a little while, I need to finish the other swap and then rebuild my tranny and then and then....

Thanks for the compliments, and yeah if someone wants to come by and check it out just let me know.
By the way I recommend the 7mgte swap over the 3.4 (5vze is it?) supercharged, but that is just my opinion. There is a lot of info/parts available to mod the 7mgte for huge power, and I doubt that there is the same for a 3.4 supercharged though I am not completely qualified to say so. Plus you don't have to shell out $3000 for a supercharger - you could get all of the parts you would need for a 7mgte swap for less than that including the engine. If anyone is considering doing one of these supra swaps, you can get some info on my site, and another great resource is Rob Jacksons site and forum
man, that's awesome! wish I lived over there that'd be a fun ride. just curious, what size tires and gears are you running?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by SolidDigital
man, that's awesome! wish I lived over there that'd be a fun ride. just curious, what size tires and gears are you running?
32x11.50x15's, with stock 4.10 gears. My 4runner began life as a 3.0 v6. I have a 1" body lift that I made out of 1"x2" flat bar, add a leafs in the back and 26mm torsion bars up front. The body lift makes it easier to do the swap, increasing clearence between the bellhousing and the tunnel. It can be done without though, I have not put one on the 86 I am working on and I have the engine all mounted in there for the final install. By the way I put a 7mge (nonturbo) in the 86, so the stock numbers are 200hp 185lbft torque, compared to the 230/240 hp (with/without egr) and 265lbft torque for the turbo 7mgte. Huge difference between the two in how they feel to drive, but both are better than the 22re and the 3.0 v6. The 3.4 v6 makes more torque than the 7mge, 185 vs. 225 I believe.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Wow that's a nice 4Runner! If you ever get down to Utah in that monster, be sure to let me know!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

I want to do this swap sooo bad! A friend of a friend has a Supra with a 7mge (non-turbo) and put a 7mgte exhaust manifold and some kind of turbo on it (not the CT26--not sure what he used though)and an upgraded fuel system. He had 320hp and 410 lbft torque! I'm thinking about going that route if I do the swap. Or, I may swap in a 2JZ-GTE with a 6 speed. My 4runner is a 2wd, so that should make it easier to do the 6 speed. Would be awesome!

Well, have fun all!
DH6twinotter
Old 09-08-2004, 07:32 PM

As much as I enjoy my 4runner, I wouldn't buy a MK3 Supra Turbo just to take the engine out to put it into a 4runner. Unless I had enough cash to get a 1jz-gte to put into the supra then transplant the 7mgte into the 4runner. But then again I probably wouldn't ruin a MK3 because I owned one as my second car and can't wait to find another 5spd turbo 89+ of them to buy even if it means getting rid of my 4x4 So I'll probably just wait till I can park the 4runner and buy the supra with cash and just keep the 4runner around to build and bang around evunatally
Old 09-10-2004, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by hale
I wouldn't buy a MK3 Supra Turbo just to take the engine out to put it into a 4runner.
I can see what you mean by this, I had a MKIII supra as well. However, you don't have to sacrifice a supra to do the swap. You can buy a japanese 7mgte with manifolds and turbo, and pick up the engine harness, ecu, MAF, etc, on ebay or at wrecking yards or whatever. That is what I did - no MKIII sacrificed at my hands in the process.

Originally Posted by UKMyers
It was pulling 10 when I drove it. I get to take a ride in a 91 2WD with a Supercharged 3.4 in it tomorrow..woohoo... I will most likely go with the 3.4 for ease of installation. Planning on getting serious about looking for a motor here soon. My 3.0 needs a timing belt and clutch soon and I would rather use that money towards the swap.
So Joey, did you drive the supercharged 5vzfe? I would be interested in hearing how you thought it compared. Allthough the 91 2wd weighs considerably less than my 4runner so it would feel faster even if making a few less ponies. I am here for you if should you choose to go with the 7mgte swap.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DH6twinotter
I want to do this swap sooo bad! A friend of a friend has a Supra with a 7mge (non-turbo) and put a 7mgte exhaust manifold and some kind of turbo on it (not the CT26--not sure what he used though)and an upgraded fuel system. He had 320hp and 410 lbft torque! I'm thinking about going that route if I do the swap. Or, I may swap in a 2JZ-GTE with a 6 speed. My 4runner is a 2wd, so that should make it easier to do the 6 speed. Would be awesome!

Well, have fun all!
DH6twinotter
I also run a 7M-GE and would like to put in a 7M-GTE. I allready purchased a supra with a 7M-GTE so I have everything. Only thing is that the enigine has threw a rod.
So upgrading my 7M-GE to a GTE is a possibility. How and what did your friend do to turbo his 7M-GE. Did he use a thicker head gasket etc.?

I also would like to have my wife go when accelerating. LOL
Old 09-11-2004, 01:41 PM

I've driven 4 banger Toyotas for 16yrs, but I confess I'd sure like to have 2 more cylinders. The main problem I have run into in the past is turning over the tires in silt. The poor 4 banger really just wants to crap out and give up in the sand. My '85 has an LCE EFI pro motor and a 30lb flywheel in it and does better, but with an open rear diff. I suspect that in the sand and locked up it might bog down too.
Now that I'm a dad and saddled with a 4 door 2nd gen, I'd love to stick just the 7mge in it. It has plenty of torque and hp for my needs and WAY more than I'm used to and I really have no interest in turbos. I just have to come up with the time, $, talent, place to work...
Somebody needs to do a really clean install on a second gen and sell it to me cheap LOL! I've even considered using my '85 as trade bait for someone to set up my second gen with a 7mge.
Now, I'm going to go wash my mouth out with soap...trading an '85 for a 2nd gen....ish
Old 09-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

glad to hear you enjoyed it, i wish i had better luck and maybe mine could be running by now