Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Driving me mad. Help with diagnosis.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never could find a clear reference on the emissions layout. I'm going to try again and make sure I have it all done right. I just got a call from the dealership on the 50N recall. They said they couldn't align it cause of the lift, engine, whatever. They suck.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 AM

Well the only thing I can say then is check out those coils, its very easy and doesn't take more than 15 mins for all.

I would also recommend using another 3rd gen maf to see what the deal is if possible.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:50 PM

hahaha... funny you say fuel filter... I had reaplced my fuel filter before replacing the tps... didn't make a bit of difference for my truck... I swear I tried everything BEFORE I tried the plug wires.

Oh, and I have bosch double platinum plugs in my truck. The guy at the dealership almost had a freaking heart attack when I told him. He told me he thought the problem was the plugs... Well, those haven't changed.

Last edited by ricky; 02-09-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:57 PM

Update: I've just put in new NGK plugs and NGK wires. I've also checked the coils for resistance.

coil 1: 1.0 ohm primary, 13.4K ohm secondary
coil 3: 1.0 ohm primary, 12.9K ohm secondary
coil 5: 1.0 ohm primary, 12.9K ohm secondary

All within spec on the coils. I'm gonna drive it all day tomorrow and see what happens. I'll report back soon. I'm also still trying to find a clear diagram for the evap system. I'm wanting to clarify routing before I spend anymore money. If this is all in order, I'm guessing I'm left with either faulty/clogged injector(s), or faulty MAF sensor. Does this all sound right?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:00 PM

OH, I forgot. I have access to another 3.4L for diagnostic purposes, so I can put in a known working MAF for testing also. Only question with this is whether the MAF sensor for the manual trans is different than the auto. My trucks a manual, and my friends is an auto. Are the MAF's the same part?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EVAP wise, you should be able to look at the friend's truck to be sure. There's also a quick look diagram as part of the S/C install manual, which is here:
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/inde...x_v2&id=45&c=5

It's pretty straight forward... There's a line from the tank vent into the canister, then out of the canister into the intake tube after the MAF.

And yes, the MAF on the manual vs. auto is the same, given that we're talking about the same years of electronics. The MAF has changed over time, and I THINK that the connector has too. Bottom line, if the connector is the same, you can't lose anything 'cept time by trying it.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:59 PM

OK thanks. I'm still planning on the MAF swap for comparison. No change with new plugs and wires. I'm gonna run down my evap stuff after this post. There's something else that's a possible concern. I bought my motor from an automatic 2wd, 2000 Tundra. That's all I know about it. I bought the ECU from car-parts from a 2000 manual Tundra. I bought the engine in Illinois junkyard, and who knows where the ECU can from. But when I got the Toyota manuals to do the swap, I noticed that they had separate diagrams for the california/non cali. My plugs from the engine wiring harness and the ecu plugs both matched the california diagrams. Now I really doubt that both the motor and ecu came from a cali model, so I've always thought that they were really the same. One of the sensors I found were different from the auto motor and the manual ecu was the tps, or/and the IAC. That's the main reason I swapped out the whole TB months ago. Anyways, my question comes down to the exhaust/cat setup. I have a single cat, with a sensor in front and behind. In the diagrams, they show two cats on the cali models. I'm wondering if this is something that could cause me these issues. Do any of you 3.4L's have 2 cats? Sorry this post has been so sporadic. This engine swap has caused me much headache, but I've learned so much. Thanks all again for you involvement with this post.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wellyman
In the diagrams, they show two cats on the cali models. I'm wondering if this is something that could cause me these issues. Do any of you 3.4L's have 2 cats? Sorry this post has been so sporadic. This engine swap has caused me much headache, but I've learned so much. Thanks all again for you involvement with this post.
Yes, the cali spec models do actually have 2 cats on them.
Some people have had issues going from 2 OEM cats down to 1 aftermarket cat.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Yes, the cali spec models do actually have 2 cats on them.
Some people have had issues going from 2 OEM cats down to 1 aftermarket cat.
Hopefully, someone who has had this issue with the cats can chime in and fill in some light on my issues, and if it's consistant with what I'm having troubles with. Any insite into the under dog racing o2 simulator as an exhaust solution for this problem or any other route? I have a high flow cat on it now. Should I consider purchasing 2 OEM style cats to run instead? I'm guessing toyota cats are costly, so what are my options here?