Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Does ne1 have this problem from your 03/04 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does ne1 have this problem from your 03/04 4Runner?

Greetings:

There seems to be a problem on the fan - position control on my 04 4X4, V6, 4Runner Sport Ed (2700 miles, purchase on Nov). Effectively, when the car is cold (usually overnight in parking space or during working hour where the car hasn't been driven for at least 7~8hours) with the fan set to III, Air flow toward Cabin / Feet, later on switch to Defogger then Defogger / Feet. The fan noise run very quietly at first like in II position. After awhile, the fan noise (or may be the air noise ) increases, like switching fan speed from II to III. I haven't found all the sequence and other combination to make sure it's the only position function this way. The tech said it does that when the the Auto is engaged. The problem is I never use the Automatic setting and recycle. I always adjust fan speed and air flow position manually.

I already record this phenomenon to an electronic recorder. I will also take a picture of my settings as well. This way I probably have some proof that I am not crazy.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:00 PM

Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of "we know better than you" engineering. Even in the non-auto mode, the system decides what you need and when and at what volume. That is, until you hit a button (any button) and that kicks it out of the "semi-auto" mode. It's annoying because it raises and lowers fan speed, changes which vents are being used, etc. As the vehicle warms up the fan speed will increase all the way up to high since it has more heat to work with. Once it's reached the programmed temperature, it then backs the speed back down to some calculated level - same with vent selection, it prett much decides where you need the heat. You'll find similar characteristics in the summer in non-auto mode - it still decides when to recirc and fan speed until you override it. I'm used to it now and let it have it's way most of the time because it eventually get where I want it. Sure wish they had built some kind of owner programming mode into this vehicle for a number of its functions. Of couse, in my case, perhaps the vehicle is actually smarter than me!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Even though you have the auto disabled, it still has a mind of it's own....

I gave up on that thing way back. I figure one of these days it'll finally let me do what I want to do....
Old 01-23-2004, 05:38 AM

Thank you for your reassurance.

So it is pretty normal operation though. I just want to make sure that everything is normal before it is out of warranty.

The weird thing is, it happens only in this particular sequence (Cabin / Feet - Defogger - Defogger / Feet), the car is cold started, then approx 1/2h later, it decides to increase the Air flow or the fan speed. After that the fan speed works normally. I don't know if the fan actually increases the speed or the duct /conduit flap open more toward the windshield. I only hear the air blow stronger noise toward the windshield. I will try to leave it in Defog / Feet position and see I have the same phenomenon. Anyway, will keep you posted if I find out something.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:04 PM
HOK

this has really been pissing me off lately... i drive behind smokey dirty deisels all the time and I regularly use recycle just for a short while so that the pollution doesn't get into the cabin... and then the darn AC turns on automatically even if I am not using auto. I know it is supposed to but i turn it off after i get out of the way... Its -25 out here... I don't need AC!!!!! stupid computer...
Old 01-26-2004, 05:18 AM

Thanks for your input.

Hum! I didn't now that enable Recycle will put in AC mode automatically. I will give it a try when it is warmer. My location temperature varies from single digit to 20°F in the morning and 25 when the sun is coming out.

Since you seem to live in a cold region. Would you mind to help me on this later on to pinpoint if my problem is normal? Effectively, I find out that I don't even need to switch between settings to get the result (just leave it in III, Defog / Feet position for 0.5 to 1.5H in the cold, the fan start very quietly and increase later on). I also find out that there are other positions behaving the same way. I will let you know, once I find out all the variable and gather all the data. You can try it on your side and see if you have the same problem.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Billf6531

I fought with the climate control for a few months when I first got the truck. One day I decided to use the Auto setting. Funny thing, I haven't touched it since, other than to change the temperature setting. Pick a comfortable temperature and let the truck do your thinking for you, for a week. I'll bet you won't go back to arguing with it.

These things grow on you. This is the first vehicle I've had with heated seats, but only because it wasn't an extra cost. I always said stuff like that was BS. Next vehicle will have heated seats even if I have to pay for it.

Must be getting old.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:07 PM

that's so funny!

I was just going to go to the dealer and complain about that same problem. I love to have the feet/windshield mix turned on, but sometimes I'll put it on II, then 10 minutes later it just goes to a more powerful sounding flow but it still shows "II".

I'd like to have more control, but it seems that big brother knows best.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:47 PM

See this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=recirculate

What part of "manual" does Toyota not understand?

I've tried auto mode, and it never seems to do the right thing.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:44 PM
HOK

yea i will try the test for you...

do you mean by 0.5H as half an hour?

If so, I think I know what you mean but your timings seem a bit off... When my truck is at -30 (ie has not been warmed up), even if you turn all the heat to maximum it will wait until the sensors tell it that hot air will come out of the vents before turning on the fans... but even in -30C this only takes 10 minutes... should NOT take half an hour to an hour and a half....

Is this what you mean?
Old 01-29-2004, 09:43 AM

Advance thanks for your time and help Hok.

Yes, 0.5H means 1/2 hour. I don't know exactly what trigger the fan. In my case, I warm up the car for 10min before starting to drive, I takes me 20min from home to work. When I almost arrive at my office, the fan start to increases it speed or it open something to let more air out. The air flow is much noisier and stronger than 1/2 hour earlier, it sounds like the fan switches from II to III.

There are three positions that has the same behavior: Cabin only, Defog / Feet, Feet only. If I leave the setting in either one of this position along with fan speed in #III when I park the car for a period of time (approximately 1 hour when the truck has been warmed up and driven for more than 10 miles) out in the cold; the fan speed seems to function quietly like in position II. I can barely hear the air flow. I will try to record the sound in wma format and attach here for your reference once I get my Digital recorder. The same problem will occur when I park the truck in the parking spot overnight.

Please keep me posted if you experience the same phenomenon.

Your time and help is much appreciated.