Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Diagnose this noise please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnose this noise please.

I used my voice recorder on my mp3 player this morning to record the sounds from my truck. 2001 sr5 with 59k. It started a few weeks ago. Sounds like static or rattling. Inside the truck it sounds as if something is loose in the plastic around the cd player but its not. It starts around 35mph and goes away on braking. I dont tend to notice it if its raining. Like something gets wet and it stops making the sounds. Any input would be great.

1st file

2nd file

Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 09:48 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
It sounds like John Lennon if you play it backwards...
Old 02-21-2006, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Noone has had this sound? I have been reading about greasing up zerks and was wondering if this was the culprit? My truck sopunds like a race car also. Loud noise uder the driver seat when accelerating. That combined with the rattling is getting me nervous. I guess ill have to bring it in somewhere.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:24 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Darn near impossible to diagnose that just from your sound clips. We'd just be WAGing (wild ass guessing). If you've ruled out mechanical noise from the CD player, have you tried pulling the CD player fuse to see if it's an electrical noise? That's a good example of a WAG...
Old 02-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rick F.
Darn near impossible to diagnose that just from your sound clips. We'd just be WAGing (wild ass guessing). If you've ruled out mechanical noise from the CD player, have you tried pulling the CD player fuse to see if it's an electrical noise? That's a good example of a WAG...
I understand. I was just hoping someone experienced this. There has been talk going on about the zerks needing to be lubed and was hoping for some insight as to if this is the sound they get when they arent lubed. Shot in the dark, I know but worth it at a place like this. Seems like someone at sometime has had a problem another member comes across.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:40 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I listened and listened...
Were you driving or just in neutral at the time?
I agree with Rick, from those sound clips it's not really possible to tell much.

But it sounds like I hear a couple of things that I wouldn't like. First, the exhaust seems simply louder than it should be, but the mike may just pick it up that way. Second, there's a sort of rattly/vibraty sound that sounds to me a bit like a faulty muffler (internal baffle came apart sort of noise.) But at other times it changes and sounds more like a harmonic vibration - heat shield for the cat rattling - something like that. Then at other times it sounds more like speaker static. Really hard to guess. You are there, can't you tell where it's coming from? An old trick that may help - get a paper towel tube and use it like a stethoscope to isolate the sounds.

Then there's a spot where it sounds a bit like there's a u-joint grinding. (This of course would only happen if you were driving when you made the recording.)

By the way, the zerks don't need grease, the zerk fittings allow you to grease things that DO need grease... (jus' givin' you a hard time.) Ball joints, tie rod ends, driveshaft, u-joints etc. Although on newer rigs so many of those don't have grease fittings anymore - they just have to be replaced when they age out.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 02-21-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

This was recorded while highway driving. I cant figure out where it is coming from because it only happens once I hit 35mph or so. I was oing between 60 and 70 when I recorded it.

The exhaust does sound louder now. Like a sports car. Its a roaring type noise in the drivers seat.

The rattling/static sound is what happens at 35mph. Goes away when I brake. Everything on the recorder is what I hear in my truck. Wish I knew more about this stuff but I am not mechanically inclined when it comes to autos.