Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Couple of newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of newbie questions

I know this will sound stupid but I'm looking at getting some Tech1 Rockcrawler rims for my truck and I was curious on the size I need. Are they 5x5.5?? I was looking on 4wheelparts.com and they said those had been discontinued so I was just curious. Also as far as backspacing goes what is good? I'm planning on a 1" RB body lift with ball joint spacers and fj80 coils, so I'm looking at around 3-4" of lift. I've seen a lot of people with 4" with similar setups, is that a good backspacing to get?

Last of all, 4wheelparts is selling 2 ring and pinion and 2 master install kits for $400. They are Genuine Gear, I've seen some flames from some people here on them but why are they bad?? or maybe some of you like them? Let me know because I would like some 4.88 and that seems like a really good deal.

Thanks, and sorry if this is long
Old 03-08-2004, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WSU4runner
I know this will sound stupid but I'm looking at getting some Tech1 Rockcrawler rims for my truck and I was curious on the size I need. Are they 5x5.5?? I was looking on 4wheelparts.com and they said those had been discontinued so I was just curious. Also as far as backspacing goes what is good? I'm planning on a 1" RB body lift with ball joint spacers and fj80 coils, so I'm looking at around 3-4" of lift. I've seen a lot of people with 4" with similar setups, is that a good backspacing to get?

Last of all, 4wheelparts is selling 2 ring and pinion and 2 master install kits for $400. They are Genuine Gear, I've seen some flames from some people here on them but why are they bad?? or maybe some of you like them? Let me know because I would like some 4.88 and that seems like a really good deal.

I can't help ya on the back spacing but wanted to give some advice.
Stop in at the local Les Schwab's. If you tell them what wheels you want and tell them that 4wheelparts sells them for certain dollars they sometimes will work with you.
I just purchased some used wheels for my Yukon. They were off a '04 GMC Yukon. They wanted $150 a piece. I walked out spending $50 a piece
See what they have to offer.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by WSU4runner

Get these.

Uswheel 042-5760

Since you are in Washington try Randy's Ring and Pinion. I got my 4.88 Yukons and ARB lockers from them. No prob.

FYI you can get better deals on wheels from Discount or anywhere. You can get a better wheel cheaper. IMO
www.summitracing.com
www.wheelersoffroad.com
www.uswheel.com

Last edited by GRNTACO; 03-08-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GRNTACO
Get these.

Uswheel 042-5760

Since you are in Washington try Randy's Ring and Pinion. I got my 4.88 Yukons and ARB lockers from them. No prob.

FYI you can get better deals on wheels from Discount or anywhere. You can get a better wheel cheaper. IMO
www.summitracing.com
www.wheelersoffroad.com
www.uswheel.com
Love the red stripe.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

I wasn't planning on getting the wheels from 4wheelparts.com. I was just looking and saw the deal on gears.