Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 09:30 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Corner blinkers 96-2002 4Runner and Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does this "mod" actually do? I dont still dont get it....are you running an aftermarket bumper?
On my 95 Tacoma, the turn signals are on the front of the bumper and cannot be seen from the side. I like to let others know which way I'm going at a four-way stop. (if others would only do the same...)

Also, I swapped my 10amp blinker fuse for a 20amp fuse and it made the bulbs much brighter and more noticeable. We'll see how long they last..
Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 AM

Yes I have an after martket front bumper, that is why I relocated the turn signals. As far as Illinois requiring parking lights, I am not really sure about that. Maybe I will have to look into it, I don't want to get pulled over.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
okay the mod as detailed extensiverly by RitzyRunner is to add a turn signal blinker light in addition to the corner marker lights so that when the turn signal is engaged the bumper indicator and the corner marker blinker both blink.

The normal corner indicators remain intact as your parking light, but they are supplemented with a turn signal bulb when your lights are on and the turn signal lever is pushed/pulled.

Pretty sure parking lights are mandatory in all states, but have been wrong many times before....

I agree with your concept racedirt1-to make the blinkers highly visible from the front and corner view. However- you seem to have sacrificed the parking lights to do so, which will eventually bite you in the wallet one way or another.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:45 AM

about function

so do the corners still operate as parking lights also? when the headlights are on, and assuming the corners are on as well, like the original function, if you turn the blinker on, do they stay on and the 2nd bulb blinks, or do they completely dim and blink like the lower oe bumper signals?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes corners are still parking lights and a turn signal also

Originally Posted by aeverett08
so do the corners still operate as parking lights also? when the headlights are on, and assuming the corners are on as well, like the original function, if you turn the blinker on, do they stay on and the 2nd bulb blinks, or do they completely dim and blink like the lower oe bumper signals?

yes aeverett-the corner marker lights remain intact as parking lights-the addition of the second bulb serves as an additional turn signal indicator-in tandem with the ones at the bumper.

As the bumper turn signals blink-the second bulb encased in the corner lens also blinks so that folks can see from the sides what you are indicating for your turn.

Re-read Ritzy's writeup and follow along with the pictures.

And hey welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Ron! I was reading my email and saw the question about my mod. Sooooo .....

Originally Posted by aeverett08
To answer you aevrett08 from the guy who did the mod on this thread, the answer is in the pictures and is still YES. Everything about the corners is still factory function, the same OEM confiuration. I ADDED the Honda turn signal sockets to the OEM corner lights. When you turn on your parking lights/headlights they still perform the same function as before. If you go back up the page and READ the post about my install you will find that I drilled out a hole in the corner lights to accept the Honda signal rubber booted sockets.
Name:  Cornerlights1207006a.jpg
Views: 5367
Size:  18.8 KB
Name:  Cornerlights1207007a.jpg
Views: 5422
Size:  26.6 KB

I even walk you through the prep, install and hook up. You never touch the OEM corner lamps so they still function as your corner side marker parking lights.

By installing the corner blinkers, all I did was to help make my truck a bit more visiable from the side. Most all vehicles use a combination bulb such as an 1157 dual filament bulb. some have done the mod using just such a bulb but trying to fit up the socket is a bit more difficult and to do it properly you need to cut notches in the holes to allow the new 1157 sockets to twist lock in place. Otherwise you are looking at gluing, silicon sealing ... just a real head ache if you need to replace a burned out bulb, so thats why I went with the Honda blinkers, no extra cutting, no alignment issues, no messing with sealer or leaking water into my corners when it rains and I can replace the bulbs very easily. Even use LED bulbs too!

To further enhace my vehicle visiblity, I also did an addition of LED side blinkers from a 2005 VW Beetle. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126...lights-141517/ Anyway, I hope this helps you to understand what the corners on my truck actually do. They are still the OEM parking lights with an additional set of bulbs mounted seperately in the same housing that are wired into the front bumper turn signals. If you were to replace your factory bumper with some sort of aftermarket type bumper that did not have front mounted turn signals you should still be legal in most any state with my mod. Enjoy!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was following the original thread and have been looking for a set of these connectors at any junkyard I come across. Once I actually find a set I'll be doing this mod. The only thing I'd like to change is maybe use a relay and get the blinker in the bumper and side light to alternate. Maybe it's something others might be interested in aswell. I'm not 100% sure how I'll do it but I haven't really thought about it or worked on it, just know what I want to do and will do it once I get started.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:17 PM

Why would you want them to alternate?

Aaron
Old 11-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
im lazy and did this instead if you dont want your coner lights amber then do the above mod
Old 11-29-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Why would you want them to alternate?

Aaron
I think it's a nice feature. I know some cars that have the turns in the bumper and corner do this. If you only have the one in the corner then it's useless obviouly. BUT if you have the bumper light and the corner it enhances visibility especially if one bulb blows. One of the lights is always flashing.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:56 PM

sweet. i was thinking on doing this to my 95
Old 11-30-2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by One_96TR4
I think it's a nice feature. I know some cars that have the turns in the bumper and corner do this. If you only have the one in the corner then it's useless obviouly. BUT if you have the bumper light and the corner it enhances visibility especially if one bulb blows. One of the lights is always flashing.
No I meant why would the park and turn alternate, why not just blink together. I'm going to do this if I have enough room in my corner lamp as there is already a strobe bulb in there. Im replacing my not so bright ARB turn lamps with a set of Whelen 500 TIR6's which should be extremely visible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Xw_is07zc light demo @ 1:43 on the video. I can barely see the damn turn signal in the day time and it's pretty weak at night, not to mention the fill with mud and crap which reduce the bulb life and kill the reflectors ability to reflect.

Aaron
Old 11-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ive seen those tir6 in person there bad ass
Old 12-06-2008, 10:47 AM

My TIR6's are in and will be installed this weekend with some minor modding. DIGI cam is busted so pics will be a while.

Aaron
Old 12-06-2008, 01:41 PM

Teaser and comparison
Name:  img135.jpg
Views: 5270
Size:  35.8 KB
Name:  img136.jpg
Views: 5482
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  img139.jpg
Views: 5389
Size:  35.6 KB
Name:  img141.jpg
Views: 5421
Size:  38.6 KB
Level with turn signal
Name:  img144.jpg
Views: 5436
Size:  29.6 KB

I have been long awaiting a pair of whelen TIR6's to come available used (new $100ish ea). I found some on ebay for $40ea. and jumped on them This mod was to an ARB and required some grinding of the original opening top and bottom only. It required bending the old mounting tabs back as to utilize them to hold the new lamp in place, that and a snug fit ensure it won't be going anywhere.
Aaron

Last edited by xcmountain80; 12-06-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Nice work Aaron, those are sick
Old 05-01-2009, 06:13 PM

Hey Ritz, I get the fact that they are still parking lights and that you ADDED the Honda corner lights to the OEM toyota corner lights. I'm still confused on if the OEM parking lights actually blinks off and on with the ADDED Honda corner lights when the Headlights are on.

If they don't, are the Honda corner lights even visible while the OEM toyota Parking lights are on?

I re-read your thread many times so don't tell me to re-read it lol
Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Cr@vis, As far as im understanding it, and trying to answer your question.

The OEM corner light doesnt blink at all, its simply on while the lights are set to parking or on all the way.
The fact that he added a light into the circuit means that at one time while the blinker is blinking , The ADDED blinker, and regular blinker will both be on for that spilt second.
If the lights were on, ther oem corner lights would be on, then hit the blinkers and the blinkers flash so in essence you get 3 lights in a split second..

Does that make sense ?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:00 PM

yeah okay i get that now, because it's not like he messed with the original corner lights to make them blink. Thanks

but still, are they noticeable when the headlights are on? Because when that honda light is blinking while the OEM parking light is on, I'm wondering how good you would be able to see that.

I'm trying to figure this out because I wanna put an after-market tube bumper on my truck.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Here's a plan...

HEY RITZY !!!
Do ya think we can get a youtube of your lights blinking !?!?

I would imagine you could still notice the blinker, lots of people do this type of thing when adding a bumper like you said, I really havent heard much from anyone saying you the blinker in the corner is not noticable..

But hopefully he will post up a vid..

Quick Reply: Corner blinkers 96-2002 4Runner and Tacoma