Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can i run Deckplate w/ TRD Filter & S/C (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i run Deckplate w/ TRD Filter & S/C (searched)

ok, did a lot of searching and it seems that everyone is split down the middle on this one. just want to post this topic again for my situation and get peoples' opinions.

i have the 2nd gen supercharger and the trd air filter. there are no exhaust mods. i am wondering if i can make the deckplate mod without having problems, or will that be more fuel than the stock delivery system can handle. i do not want to make any fuel mods, and i do not want to spend $1,300 on that new 7th injector kit (won't work on my truck anyway, fed emissions).

from my searches, most people think the deckplate w/ s/c & stock filter is ok, but people are really split on running the amsoil or trd filter w/ the deckplate & supercharger.

also, if elevation matters, i live at 1,000 ' now and will be living at sea level next month.

thanks, scott
Old 10-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

It depends. Is your truck pinging now?

I am running a 2 gen s/c and have the deckplate mod, and flowmaster muffler. I only ping occasionally. But I am at 4800 ft above sea level.

Since yours is newer (and some say that the fuel maps are different than what is on my 97) you may not have an issue with pinging.

Just try it, and if it starts to lean out, then put the deckplate on so it is sealed up.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:12 AM
CTB

Re: Can i run Deckplate w/ TRD Filter & S/C (searched)

Originally posted by monkeynuts
ok, did a lot of searching and it seems that everyone is split down the middle on this one. just want to post this topic again for my situation and get peoples' opinions.

i have the 2nd gen supercharger and the trd air filter. there are no exhaust mods. i am wondering if i can make the deckplate mod without having problems, or will that be more fuel than the stock delivery system can handle. i do not want to make any fuel mods, and i do not want to spend $1,300 on that new 7th injector kit (won't work on my truck anyway, fed emissions).

from my searches, most people think the deckplate w/ s/c & stock filter is ok, but people are really split on running the amsoil or trd filter w/ the deckplate & supercharger.

also, if elevation matters, i live at 1,000 ' now and will be living at sea level next month.

thanks, scott
Hey Scott,

I just noticed your info said you were moving to GA or SC soon...where in SC would you be coming? I go to school here, so I was just curious. PM me when you get a chance so we don't hijack the thread.

CTB
Old 10-07-2003, 12:48 PM
TOR

TOO MUCH AIR

Do what you want to on this one, however you already have a high performance AF and SC. Honestly, I can' t see it making that much of a difference and three techs at my back counter are betting on when you will get a check engine with this setup. Let us know.

Todd
Old 10-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Re: TOO MUCH AIR

Originally posted by TOR
Do what you want to on this one, however you already have a high performance AF and SC. Honestly, I can' t see it making that much of a difference and three techs at my back counter are betting on when you will get a check engine with this setup. Let us know.

Todd
Why would it throw a cel? Its before the MAF sensor....
Old 10-07-2003, 01:40 PM
TOR

Check engine light

After telling my techs what the deckplate mod was they all just laughed. They said there were a number of possiblities with that setup for disaster. In particular if you go wheeling and having the huge hole in the air box and the SC pulling air in as quickly as possible and pull something right in. I just think that with the TRD AF and SC you are inducing plenty of air in the engine and don't need more. The only way I could see that is if you had a huge setup delivering more fuel and needed the additional air.

Todd
Old 10-07-2003, 01:40 PM

pinging...i'm not sure. when i climb a decent grade out here on the way to my house, in overdrive, 70mph, 5psi, it chugs a little, almost like it is sputtering from being out of gas. is this pinging?
Old 10-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
No, pinging is a metallic knocking or rapping noise that you can hear under acceleration. Sounds more like you're either in too high a gear or you're suffering from mild fuel starvation. I'd downshift to 4th if it's a 5spd or kill the OD if it's an auto and see if that solves the problem.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:17 PM
CTB

Re: Check engine light

Originally posted by TOR
In particular if you go wheeling and having the huge hole in the air box and the SC pulling air in as quickly as possible and pull something right in. ITodd
That is why you put the removable cap/top on the deckplate when you go wheeling or near big water...so you don't suck anything into your airbox through the hole!
Old 10-07-2003, 02:47 PM

rwmorrisonjr-

that's what i thought on pinging. it doesn't matter what gear it's in, anytime i cruise at a steady pace and the truck is under boost (normally around 5psi), it does that chugging, like it's misfiring. you think that it's not getting enough fuel? any other ideas?

ctb - sent you a pm
Old 10-07-2003, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldnt do the deckplate mod if you dont plan on doing any fuel upgrades. I had the deckplate mod done on mine, but once I got the supercharger I put the deckplate back on. My truck seemed to run a heck of alot better that way.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
I'm running the deckplate and Bosch Platinum+4 plugs and I don't have any pinging problems any more. But I'm also living at 5600' so that might have something to do with it. I'm heading to Illinois this weekend, so I'll see how it performs at sea level.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:52 PM

I just got done running my truck for a year with the deckplate/trd filter, flowmaster and a TRD SC and it ran great. No pinging as long as I stuck with good gas.