Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Caliper Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Caliper Rebuild Questions

ok, i'm going to take my Tundra calipers off of my 4runner to have them powder coated, so i'm putting on my old 4runner calipers and rotors to hold me over til i get the Tundra stuff back. i tore the old 4runner calipers down and bought a rebuild kit for them but it's been awhile since i did this and i need some help on rebuilding before i make a mistake.

the kit came with the piston boots, rings, new rubber o rings for the cylinders, and a packet of pink lube.

Question 1, what all gets lubed with the pink stuff? is it just the ring in the cylinder or do you go further and lube the piston as well? i think the last time i did this i just did the ring, but i'm just wanting to know the procedure for sure.

Question 2, do the boots actually fit in the little channel on the brake pistons and then over the lip on the caliper? i know after than you secure them in place with the metal rings.

perhaps after i get the answers, i'll make a little write-up with lots of pics for the brake newbies.

thanks everyone
Old 08-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it has been two years since I replaced the boots and rings.

I polished my pistons with a buffing wheel before I reinstalled them they where very shiny I did not get a packet of lube with mine I used a light film if Judy butter.

to remove the pistons I used a air compressor to push the piston almost out put a 2x4 block in between the pistons so one dose not pop out before the others have a chance to push almost out.

I also used a wire wrapped around the piston twisted it tight to the piston then pulled it out I remember them to be a pain to remove but they worked so much better when I finished 4 hours later.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:50 AM

thanks CyMoN, i never thought about polishing the pistons but i'll give it a shot since they are out already. and, Judy Butter? is that the same as Land-O-Lakes? j/k

thanks for the tips, but i'm still unsure of what to lube and how the boot actually is attached to the piston. i've included some pictures to show where i'm at and how i've got things put together so far, maybe some one can tell me if i'm doing it right from the pics. after i find what to lube and the assembly of the boot and piston i should be good to go.

any help is appreciated.

here is the rebuild kit (pink lube, boot, cylinder o-ring, and metal boot clip), along with the pin that keeps the pads in, another little clip that holds the pins in place, what i believe is some kind of anti squeal device, and one of my pistons. i cleaned the rust out of the inside of the piston and did the POR15 treatment to it, that is why it's black inside.

here is one of my pistons, this picture shows the little channel that i believe the boot goes into, but i'm not sure about that.

here is one of the new boots from the rebuild kit. it has a little lip in the middle that seems to fit nicely into the channel on the piston.

this is what it looks like when i slide the boot over the piston and the lip of the boot goes into the channel.

and this is the completed piston with the boot pulled up flush with the top of the piston. i think this is how it all goes back together but i am still a little unclear.

please let me know if you have any advice or anything to add to this so others might search and find the answer to rebuilding their calipers properly in the future.

thanks!

Last edited by pattycakes77; 08-17-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That is indeed how the boots go onto the pistons. You then slide the other end of the boot over the lip on the caliper, and install the ring to hold it on. You're on the right track.

The only thing you have to lube is the orings that go into the grooves in the caliper.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is exactly why I dont work on my brakes myself...I always buy remanned calipers from the dealer...its not rocket science but then again...one little screw up and it could be your life (or someone elses)

just something to think about....i dont actually have any help to offer
Old 08-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
judy butter is mountain bike shock grease

wouldn't use it on a brake assembly unless it said 'for use on automotive brake assemblies'

I do use it as GP grease on my bikes though
Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 PM

Thanks much for all the help. i'm going to take some more pics during assembly and probably do a step by step on how i did everything so others might be helped by the instructions. by all means, if there is something wrong with anything i do or say in the final instructions please let me know and i will amend things. i definitely don't want to do this wrong and give bad advice/instruction that could lead to an accident as dirtoyboy said, just want to make some good instructions for the average DIYer that may or may not have played with Legos as a kid, to be able to reman their own brakes if they want to. i myself am doing things this way instead of buying from the dealer because i plan on sending my calipers all stripped down to get powder coated and then reassemble everything myself.

thanks again for the tips!